Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NY Times writer refuses to hire superbly qualified babysitter, because he's male Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Yeah, but men still far outweigh the numbers. The fact is, men are more likely to be paedophiles than women, and men are more likely to display violent, or predatory sexual behaviour than women.

Until those facts change, I wouldnt want a man watching my daughter (or son, actually). I've just asked my boyfriend this and he agrees.
    Replace the words 'men' and 'women' by 'blacks' and 'whites' and see if you still feel comfortable with that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    If she doesn't trust him then she shouldn't hire him. Reason doesn't matter for this job.
    but you have to agree the reason is purely because hes a man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    If she doesn't trust him then she shouldn't hire him. Reason doesn't matter for this job.
    What jobs does it matter for, then?

Personally I think that any man who tries to make a career in childcare or early years education is taking on too much trouble that it is worth. People automatically assume you are 'up to something'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I see your point but its not the same, he has childcare experance and has at some point taken care of girls as well as boys.
    but like a male cleaner in a female changing room, he may have to see the daughter naked

ReputationRep:
    I hardly see an issue with just pointing out the obvious that big strong men work with ugly heavy things and elegant dainty females work with small cute things. I wouldn't hire a man to look after my children because thats weird to be honest, it doesn't feel right, just like seeing a women lugging hundreds of bricks around a building site.

Its called gender roles. Im all for equally opportunities and pay of course, but i dont think making a thread or even lining everyone up and getting strapped into a chair for forced female propaganda videos is going to change the natural order of all life on this planet.

If a women goes to work and a man watches the kids im not bothered about that either before anyone brings it up, but she's not going to do anything overly psychical because like most people, she will work to her strengths.

Does this make me what some call a 'male chauvinist pig' ? well this isnt the 1960's and im happy that women can do so much more nowadays but i dont think it does.

ReputationRep:
    That woman is an absolute moron who should not be anywhere near her own freaking child if those are the kind of views she's going to pass on. You can talk about statistics all you want, he was fully qualified, highly recommended and trustworthy, and SHE KNEW THAT. Derailing this into generalisations about male babysitters is ridiculous, the article is talking about fully qualified men, not Jack the sodding Ripper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    I hardly see an issue with just pointing out the obvious that big strong men work with ugly heavy things and elegant dainty females work with small cute things. I wouldn't hire a man to look after my children because thats weird to be honest, it doesn't feel right, just like seeing a women lugging hundreds of bricks around a building site.

Its called gender roles. Im all for equally opportunities and pay of course, but i dont think making a thread or even lining everyone up and getting strapped into a chair for forced female propaganda videos is going to change the natural order of all life on this planet.

If a women goes to work and a man watches the kids im not bothered about that either before anyone brings it up, but she's not going to do anything overly psychical because like most people, she will work to her strengths.

Does this make me what some call a 'male chauvinist pig' ? well this isnt the 1960's and im happy that women can do so much more nowadays but i dont think it does.
    You are just basing your conservative ideas on current social norms and trying to dress them up with some pseudo-biological argument that doesn't really hold any water when actually examined. The cross-over in mental and physical abilities between the sexes is so large that non-overlapping populations represent the minority - the upshot of this is that actually most of us are equally capable at most things (obviously excluding bearing children). I remember a quote from an expert on a recent programme about the differences between the sexes: 'Most men have got more in common with most women than they do with some of their own sex'.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough tbh.

Let's not let 'equal opportunities' run away with us...

ReputationRep:
    Market for paranoia pills pretty high in this thread, jesus, some of you must turn every street corner thinking there's a child molester awaiting.

ReputationRep:
    Nope- I think it's her ****ing child, and she can hire who he wants, and no-one else has any business trying to meddle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NietzschanGuy)
    That woman is an absolute moron who should not be anywhere near her own freaking child if those are the kind of views she's going to pass on. You can talk about statistics all you want, he was fully qualified, highly recommended and trustworthy, and SHE KNEW THAT. Derailing this into generalisations about male babysitters is ridiculous, the article is talking about fully qualified men, not Jack the sodding Ripper.
    fantastic response. at last someone who understands this man has earned trust and if he was going to do anything he had alot of chances prior to this.

ReputationRep:
    This is the woman's child. She can discriminate on whatever grounds she can come up with on who will look after her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Nope- I think it's his ****ing child, and he can hire who he wants, and no-one else has any business trying to meddle.
    Did you read the article?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    but you have to agree the reason is purely because hes a man
    yes but as I said it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    While I do think with something like a babysitter, the parent should get the ultimate choice, I do think this is a bit crazy. If her baby was a boy, I bet she wouldn't have any problems with employing a female babysitter, so whats the bloody difference here?

(Original post by Rancorous)
    but like a male cleaner in a female changing room, he may have to see the daughter naked
    Except of course that many places use the same cleaners for both sets of toilets / changing rooms. So it could be a male cleaner or a female cleaner, cleaning the other sexes place.

(Original post by Rancorous)
    if you want a cleaner for female changing rooms, and the best cleaner is a man should you hire him?

if you want a waiter for an italian restaurant should you hire the chinese guy even though he's the best waiter?

there are cases when you can discriminate
    As I have said above, most places DO have a male cleaning the female changing rooms (or a female cleaning the male ones). Simply because they don't employ two sets of cleaners.

As for waiters, again, my girlfriend works in a Chinese restaurant, yet she is English and of no Chinese origin. Why does it matter??

(Original post by TheSownRose)
    My father and I ran an experiment recently; we individually went over to the park when there was a children's football game happening, and took a picture of a tree in that sort of direction, but clearly not aiming the camera at any of the kids. Guess who was confronted about it? :rolleyes:
    What a surprise. Its pathetic, it really is. We have got some caught up in the media that you can't do anything without being accused. It won't be long before you can't even take a photo of your own kid having a bath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    Ok so based on your logic men and women have different roles and its ok for women to do so called "mens roles" but not the other way around
    I think there are a very small number of roles for which in the vast majority of cases would be defined by gender. Whilst a woman may be understandably reluctant to have her small daughter looked after by a man, I'm sure most men wouldn't hire a woman for (as a silly example) a body guard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Who cares if it's 'sexism'. I wouldn't want a male looking after my daughter; as she said, the babysitter might have to see her naked (nappys, or if she has an accident or whatever), I wouldn't want any man to see that. Seriously, get over it.

I bet if I wanted to be a mechanic, it would be harder for me to be hired as a woman, then for a guy. People like you need to get rid of those ridiculously annoying chips off your shoulder. It's called life.
    Yet if I were to refuse to hire a female to look after my baby boy I am sure your position would change on the matter. Funny that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    This is the woman's child. She can discriminate on whatever grounds she can come up with on who will look after her.
    Why? I'm not asking for the fact that parental instincts lead to incredibly conservative behaviour, I'm asking why you think it is acceptable that people should be allowed to exempt themselves from moral and legal obligations when it concerns their children?

ReputationRep:
    As unfashionable as it is to say this. As a man I totally agree with this. There is no way you would want a man working in a nursery or a primary school or as a babysitter. It does not feel right.

I can't see why a man would want to do it anyway. Most of us find kids really annoying anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt want a man to look after my child, nothing wrong at all with that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.