Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaangel)
    Not if you're doing a medical degree.I'm guessing medical degrees will be £9000 because they are the most expensive degrees and most people will not be deterred by the money because of the nature of medicine.

Accounting for the fact that NHS bursaries may no longer pay for your last year, the debt just including fees and accommodation (estimated £4000 a year) for a 5 year course would be £65000 for a five year course and £78000 for 6 years.

:mad:
    Tbh I think dentists/medics are best placed to take more and more fees. Basically a guaranteed high paying job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShakeyJJ)
    And how long do you think these particular universities will honestly be able to survive charging the maximum? I'd give it 3 years before they realise that people are opting to go to cheaper universities through financial reasons, then the price drops down again. Competetive pricing will become a large part of the university recruitment process but it's the most likely outcome based on the fee increase.
    yes, the more money they have, the better the research quality (in theory), so the more demand they have. A large percentage of the people attending these institutions are privately educated and can probably afford the prices anyway.

fact is these are the most competitive unis and no matter what the price, they will still fill their courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Tbh I think dentists/medics are best placed to take more and more fees. Basically a guaranteed high paying job
    First year out of a 5/6 year course and medics only start on £21000, fact is medics don't get paid as much as everyone thinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    "Following the advice of the independent funding review, set up by the last Labour Government"
    Which both labour and Tories agreed to abide by when it was set up. Probably the only promise they've kept.

ReputationRep:
    yes, the more money they have, the better the research quality (in theory), so the more demand they have. A large percentage of the people attending these institutions are privately educated and can probably afford the prices anyway.

fact is these are the most competitive unis and no matter what the price, they will still fill their courses.
    As I pointed out in another post, at first there will still be a large demand for these universities because, as I'm sure anyone who has applied to uni will know, we all know the particular reputations everywhere has. If you asked me whether I thought LSE would be good for a business management degree, I would instantly say yes despite not having any prior knowledge to the inner workings of LSE simply because of the reputation it has gained. HOWEVER; in 4 - 5 years these places will no longer have the current prestigous rep they have and will moreso be known for being overpriced and that will deter people from applying there and looking for am ore affordable option.

ReputationRep:
    First year out of a 5/6 year course and medics only start on £21000, fact is medics don't get paid as much as everyone thinks
    Typically disingenuous. How about year 1, year 2 etc..

ReputationRep:
    lol what is with myth 3 why do they place such emphesis on 21k rather than 15k if you are planning on earning less than 21k for any long period of time wtf would you go to university in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    Circulate this!

http://www.factsonfees.com/
    Quite simply, no. Because...

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It might have more weight if it was coming from someone neutral...
    Agreed.

For example, it says something along the lines of 'you wouldn't be better off under the old system because this way you pay less back each month' - but does not mention the implication that we will therefore be paying a lot more in total given the expected interest on every single 'smaller repayment.'

ReputationRep:
    There are arguments for the fee rise, but this website made me cringe with it's obvious bias.

ReputationRep:
    Sustainability is important though... Every time something is cut in any way there is an uproar. We need to sort out the deficit. Making somethings more free market could be the solution? After all, the private benefit of HE is very high. Why shouldn't we pay for it ourselves?

ReputationRep:
    Only half of the story.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped reading when I saw 'I’d be better off under the current system' listed as a myth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    No, don't think I will help spread government propaganda thanks. The 'facts' are that in future students will graduate with debts including approaching £50k. The fact is that they will pay interest on these debts at similar rates to mortgages. The fact is that a significant proportion will not pay these debts off within their lifetime.

The fact is that no matter how you dress it up £50k is a huge amount of money - and by telling people 'its just student debt, don't worry about it' you are ironically encouraging exactly the same sort of 'buy now, pay later' attitude that started the recession in the first place.
    The only, ONLY fact from your post is that you dont know the facts. And sadly neither do any of the thumbs-uppers. And sorry to break this to you, but the "buy now pay later" is not the same as what is called an investment, look into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    the "buy now pay later" is not the same as what is called an investment, look into it.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    I know what they start on, and that doesn't concern me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    The only, ONLY fact from your post is that you dont know the facts. And sadly neither do any of the thumbs-uppers. And sorry to break this to you, but the "buy now pay later" is not the same as what is called an investment, look into it.
    Sure, and I'm sure at the height of the boom all the banks were told the complex derivatives they were buying that eventually turned out to be toxic debt were investments too.

Please don't lecture me on investment - I am extremely confident that my investor knowledge far outweighs yours - feel free to check my posts in the stocks & shares thread

If the state are so sure we are buying an investment (and they obviously do think that the research conducted at British unis is an investment for the country) why aren't they willing to buy into that investment just like every other government in Europe? Why are we cutting our education budget when the US, France and Germany are all increasing theirs? The standard tsr/daily mail response 'lol we cant affordz it 11!!!' simply doesn't hold. If it truly an investment, we can afford it, which is why Eurozone countries (which are arguably in worse financial states than the UK) are increasing their education budgets.

Of course, all this is only relevant if you consider education as nothing more than a financial investment. The phrase 'price of everything, value of nothing' comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    You people

'Yay we want to be educated'

'Oh yeh, but we want other people to pay for it'

Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    You people

'Yay we want to be educated'

'Oh yeh, but we want other people to pay for it'

Idiots.
    Thats exactly what I want.

When we graduate what we put back into the economy will far outweigh anything we took out for our education.

Do you think the same about people who want free healthcare?

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope they vote against fee rises. I'm planning on using David Camerons reaction face as my profile pic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shyamr)
    Seriously what is wrong with you people!
    The education cuts are necessary, the government is in a huge amount of debt. Personally I think they should be making more cuts in all sectors.
    Anyway why should other people pay for your education?
    And it's not like it's stopping you from going to university, there are programmes the government will run to help the people who will find it the most difficult to pay for university and you can pay off your debt after university.
    I don't see what the fuss is all about.
    I think most people accept there has to be cuts, but an 80% reduction in teaching grant and a tripling of fees is completely unacceptable.

Other people should pay as the whole economy benefits from graduates, not just graduates themselves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.