Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Macbook Pro or Sony Vaio Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you really want Mac, install hacintosh. Hence get a Vaio.

/Thread.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using a VAIO with about the same spec as you listed. It's a good buy, cheaper and more durable. Bit of a problem with battery life but the pros outweigh the one con!

Remeber with the customised ones that they can take two months to arrive from ordering, though. That's why I went for prebuilt.

Also it's not a Mac, which counts for a lot. Go for the VAIO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Macs ARE PC's
    And how can you compare two difference machines, with different software and hardware?
    Isn't that what everyone else is doing? I'm just saying I prefer using a mac.

ReputationRep:
    Macs ARE PC's
    And how can you compare two difference machines, with different software and hardware?
    Mac's still use a lot of the same hardware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Mac's still use a lot of the same hardware.
    I know
    But not a 3/4 year old mac and a current mid range laptop! that was my point lol

ReputationRep:
    I know
    But not a 3/4 year old mac and a current mid range laptop! that was my point lol
    Especially as half the time current mac's use the last generation of hardware. I looked at a mac mini to replace my aging htpc a few months ago and they were still using core2's. I built a i3 system for less than the mac mini (and got a TV card and bluray drive in as well).

The laptop range is better and if you want a decent resolution screen then it looks like macbooks might be the way to go. But you are paying extra for it.

However I still stand by my previous advice. Work out what you need and would like and then see what options fit that choice. If you can't find a suitable fit decide which requirements you're willing to adjust and then see what fits. Don't just buy a mac/sony because that's the only adverts you've seen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Especially as half the time current mac's use the last generation of hardware. I looked at a mac mini to replace my aging htpc a few months ago and they were still using core2's. I built a i3 system for less than the mac mini (and got a TV card and bluray drive in as well).
    The Core 2 Duos really are not that bad. They be old, but they are actually quite fast.
    A C2D is actually around the same speed a same Ghz i3.

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pro. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy07)
    I'm looking to get a new laptop and I'm stuck between going for a Macbook Pro 13" and a customised Sony Vaio.

In terms of the Macbook I'd be looking at getting it with 4gb Ram and a 320/500gb HDD (and I can get the education store discount which is around 10% I think). For less than that I could get a Sony Vaio with blu-ray player, HD screen (if I go for the 16" model) and dedicated graphics, not to mention a better processor etc.

I'm not going to be playing tonnes of demanding games, after all, if I was, I'd just get a desktop. I think most games I might play would be playable on the Macbook Pro, though if anyone could give me an idea of what relatively recent games it can/can't play I'd be grateful.

I think the main concern is reliability. My current laptop is 2 years old and has slowed down quite a bit. Are Macbooks really more durable and reliable in the long-term? And does the extra cost of the Macbook justify itself despite its lower spec compared to the Vaio?

Any opinions would be most welcome.
    Macbooks Pro are normally well built and engineered, which makes them ridiculously easy to use without getting the headaches commonly associated to windows-based computers.

Macbooks maintain market value for longer than other laptops, too, and this is an important detail, should you decide to sell it someday.

Said that, I would go for Sony Vaio. And the reason is that Windows 7 has started to bridge the gap between win and mac, to the point that, according to several experts, the gap does not exist anymore, not even for the famous "no viruses on Mac" dispute, which has proved to be false over the recent years. Sony is known for being reliable and making good computers, and in this respect I see no difference with Apple.

So, unless you have a compelling reason to buy Apple -whichever it is- go for Sony, it has better specs and is less expensive, while being as reliable. An overall better deal!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.