Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCL toff on BBC saying tuition fee rise was GOOD! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    It's totally relevant because if he is indeed upper to middle class, as i suspect, he has NO idea how proper working class poor people are suffering and will further suffer under these proposals. Only those people at the bottom of the social ladder know what paying 27k instead of 9k is actually like. That's the relevance.
    I don't think this is true because you only pay it back if you're earning over 21k which automatically means you're not "at the bottom of the social ladder". You also pay it back at a far lower rate of interest (is it £7/week on 21k?) when you're earning less. Ultimately instead of everyone paying for higher education only graduates earning over 21k will pay for it with a massive emphasis on the higher earning graduates; I don't see how this isn't better in the view of the poor?

ReputationRep:
    middle and upper class people have £27k in the bank, working class people don't necessarily have this sum available. I don't see how this is a level playing field. Even with the "not paying back till u earn over 27k" this is unfair on poorer people. Why don't they charge rich people 50k and let the poor people have free education? Why!?!?
    I am not rich by any means. I don't even have £3000 in the bank let alone £27000.
    I am at university, and I am concerned if I earn above £15000, a part of it is gone (taking into account tax),I would barely have enough to live. It does act as a deterrent. If it was £21000, I am glad about that.
    Why should rich people pay £50000 so someone else goes in for free?

This is the most progressive and fair policy. Examples:

You don't pay up front.
    You pay after you earn £21000.
    If you hit grades, you may get up to 2 years free if your poor.

How is this terrible?

ReputationRep:
    i'd be interested to know what social class you are. The bbc went to a rough state comprehensive school yesterday, in Hackney, London. They asked lots of students what they thought of the fees rise. Unsurprisingly not one said it's not affect their plans. The students views ranged from going to cheaper universities, to not going to uni at all! Not one of them said it's not affect their current university plans. A common theme was that a lot of these kids, like myself, said they wouldn't go to university. You have to be poor working class to understand. It's easy enough for people to sit on their high throne looking down at the poor people at thinking what the fuss is about but it really does matter.
    You have yet to give me one reason why it should affect their plans. It's people like you that are the problem, spreading the idea that it should stop people. If you explain to them that it will not saddle them with debt and that it should not affect their decision. The problem is education about the matter, and by spreading **** like this you are doing them a big disservice.

So if you'd like to actually give me a reason as to why it should affect them then go ahead, saying I'd have to be poor working class to understand is *******s when it's quite evident that you don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    OP is so bitter and just taken in by the scaremongering of the NUS and such like, and hasn't actually paid full attention to the proposals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Aaron-)
    OP is so bitter and just taken in by the scaremongering of the NUS and such like, and hasn't actually paid full attention to the proposals
    once again, i've got my degree so it doesn't affect me at all! I am just bitter the fees are going up and up and up. i was mildly pissed at it going up to 3k. Now it's going up 3 fold again!?!?! I mean wtf? They're going to carry on raising it until people show they are pissed off. The government are taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    I hate toffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I hate toffs
    same. Finally someone with sense on these posh forums:P

ReputationRep:
    He's referring to toffees, it's what us middle class call them, you plebs wouldn't understand.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Seriously, get a grip and realise that inverse snobbery is no better than snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    i've already got my degree. I'm just standing up for those students who are going to go to uni in the years to come. It's unfair on them. It's just criminal for fees to go up so astronomically.
    Not really. There are still grants, loans, and assistance for them.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call these forums 'posh'. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Not really. There are still grants, loans, and assistance for them.
    When I attend university in 2012, my tuition fees will rise by £6000 but my maintenance grant will by £300. When I attend university, I won't be entitled to the supposed National Scholarship Scheme because my mother is not entitled to income support (so no free school dinners for me) because she doesn't have a child under ten. When I go to university, I'll be paying £9000 for my tuition when I spent most of my childhood with an annual household income of £9000.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watch the BBC news this evening?

I was FUMING! He had the audacity to say that he had researched the proposals and that it's the best option.

FUTHERmore, he adds "i 100% guarantee it wont affect access to higher education".

I was outraged. He sounded like an upper to middle class chap and frankly he was insulting my intelligence. I am working class and recently graduated from UCL and i can "guarantee" him that if the fees were £9000 a year, i'd not have gone to university. Many of my fellow *real* working class poor people share this view. This toff on TV has nothing that qualifies him to say how we REAL working class people will make our further education decisions.

Discuss.

Edit: Keep the neg rep coming you elitist scum! TSR's true colours are coming out. This forum is full of middle to upper class snobs who don't give two hoots about normal working class people.
    My family are also working class, but unlike you I agree with the rise. If you bother to read the proposals you pay back 9% of what you earn over £21k so really it's only the higher paid graduates who are worse off as they will be paying more of their loan back however will be earning high salaries which they obv wouldn't without their degree.

How is paying more if you earn more a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, TSR is not mostly upper/middle class.

Secondly, "I'd not have gone to university". You were saying you're a UCL graduate?

Did you even listen to a word he said? Why not try seeing both sides of the argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Firstly, TSR is not mostly upper/middle class.

Secondly, "I'd not have gone to university". You were saying you're a UCL graduate?

Did you even listen to a word he said? Why not try seeing both sides of the argument?
    prove it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Because 9k a year is a lot of money and i wouldn't want to be saddled with that amount of debt even if you'd only start paying it back when you earn over 21k. It's not free money. You WILL have to pay it back when you start working. When you think about mortgages, holidays, etc, you'll always be reminded that you have to pay of this frickin 27k! That's why i'd not go to uni. I'd not want that amount of debt to my name!

Besides there's no guarantee of getting a job to pay it off, so if we were currently on 9k a year fees i'd currently be saddled with 27k of debt, AND i'd be jobless for the forseeable future because the job market is dead and it'd be nigh impossible to get a job.
    Holidays. Are you kidding me? That is more important than relieving taxpayers of the burden of subsidising your fees and allowing the government to prioritise other services? You are being so stupid - refusing to hand over money for your education, yet you have no qualms about handing over money for a holiday.

ReputationRep:
    prove it.
    How?
    There's no reassurance that anyone really is who they say they are and conceptions of what middle class is are skewed according to which class you belong to...

ROFL. Anton is not a 'toff'. :lol:

ReputationRep:
      Hi so do tution fees rise for students who apply to UCAS in Dec 2011? So now is the last year to apply and avoid tution fees?

ReputationRep:
      Anyone watch the BBC news this evening?

I was FUMING! He had the audacity to say that he had researched the proposals and that it's the best option.
      He's entitled to his view, and the fact you can't separate his opinion from your own prejudices shows that you are merely supporting insubstantial tribalism over meaningful debate and discussion.

Very poor.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Liz_beth)
      Hi so do tution fees rise for students who apply to UCAS in Dec 2011? So now is the last year to apply and avoid tution fees?
      yes you have to pay between 6-9k as of year 2012. I feel for you guys. The tories and libs have totally ****ed a lot of people over.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.