The Student Room Group

Girls who wear glasses/specs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R. Murray
Why wouldn't it be? It's what optoms say during refraction! :biggrin:

You're not taught 'which of these makes the circles look clearer and rounder?' in cross-cyl?
Original post by .Ali.
They'll obviously make you look different unless they're rimless.

Lol, I only wear them when I absolutely have to. So for me that'd be watching TV/Sixth form/artwork. I don't see why I'd need to wear them anymore than that when I can see short distances fine? :dontknow:

That's fair enough then, just maybe don't advise people to not wear them for tasks they might need them for. :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by TheSownRose
That's fair enough then, just maybe don't advise people to not wear them for tasks they might need them for. :wink:

Well yeah if you're blind without them, it might be a good idea to keep them on. :biggrin:
Well I think girls who wear glasses look sexy and intelligent!:cool:
I don't mind wearing glasses - have worn them most of my life lol - but it depends ... if you get the right frame and right glasses you'll no doubt suit it :smile:. Wear contacts whenever I'm going out somewhere too, so it's a good balance of glasses and contact lenses. Also, I think males look incredibly attractive with glasses lol so there's some reassurance if you're male.
Reply 45
You're not taught 'which of these makes the circles look clearer and rounder?' in cross-cyl?

Of course!

I never say it but plenty of people think optoms say it so I thought it was worth popping it in.

Rounder & clearer? for X-cyl

Does this make it worse? for adding plus

Does this lens make it better, or just smaller & darker? for adding minus

That about covers what we learned in our refraction this semester - though we spent 2 labs on fan & block!
Reply 46
They make me look uglier.
Depends on the individual and how they carry them off. I don't think I look very nice in glasses so I always just stick to contacts.
Reply 48
I wear glasses :smile: And I don't really mind them at all. Of course they can make some people look awful, but if you make sure you get the right fit then you should be fine. I've heard that the edges of the frame shouldn't protrude from your face too much on either side, and that the top of the frame shouldn't come up to eyebrow height.
The right colour is also important, you don't want something that will clash with your hair. For example red framed glasses wouldn't look too good on someone with quite bright ginger hair, but would look good on someone with dark brown/black hair :smile:
Original post by R. Murray
Of course!

I never say it but plenty of people think optoms say it so I thought it was worth popping it in.

Rounder & clearer? for X-cyl

Does this make it worse? for adding plus

Does this lens make it better, or just smaller & darker? for adding minus

That about covers what we learned in our refraction this semester - though we spent 2 labs on fan & block!

Ah right. I found it funny, for what it's worth. :colondollar:

Oh, fan and block - hope you had some nice high cyls to be doing that on? It's a pain with -0.25 people. Then again, you wouldn't often need to do it on someone that low; unless they won't correct to 6/6 anyway they'll be able to see the circles.

How has the semester gone? This is your ... second year, right (apologies if not, I get people confused sometimes)?
Reply 50
Guy's don't make passes at girls who wear glasses ;-)
I hate my glasses sometimes because it gets foggy when i drink a hot chocolate/coffee and it gets strangled in my hair when i take it off. Also, you wont see my eyes that much, you see lights and stuff in it because of the reflection.
But yeah, some people can look good w/ glasses, some people don't.
It depends on the structure of the face.
It's about choosing the right glasses. Certain materials and shapes suit different faces; I don't do so well in chunky plastic frames with narrow lenses, but other people have said I look nice in thin metal frames with decent sized lenses.

Go to an opticians and ask for a qualified dispenser's opinion.

Whats wrong with us trainee optometrists? :frown:
Original post by simtacular
Whats wrong with us trainee optometrists? :frown:

To be honest, I'd probably still trust an FBDO-qualified dispenser over a pre-reg optom with regards to dispensing - sorry. :frown:
As long as you get ones that suit your face you'll be fine. I have friends who suit big round glasses but I only suit rectangular ones.

I love my glasses. They're chunky and purple :biggrin:
Reply 55
They serve a function, someones gonna like someone in glasses more than someone walking into walls every five minutes.
To be honest, I'd probably still trust an FBDO-qualified dispenser over a pre-reg optom with regards to dispensing - sorry. :frown:

Aye to be fair the girls i work with all say my taste in glasses is shocking.
Hows Mr Neil doing? I miss that man :tongue:
Reply 57
Ah right. I found it funny, for what it's worth. :colondollar:

Oh, fan and block - hope you had some nice high cyls to be doing that on? It's a pain with -0.25 people. Then again, you wouldn't often need to do it on someone that low; unless they won't correct to 6/6 anyway they'll be able to see the circles.

How has the semester gone? This is your ... second year, right (apologies if not, I get people confused sometimes)?

Well we stuck some cyls in the back of the trial set, but inevitably there's the irritating "patient" who says all the lines are the same. The same "patient" also contradicts themselves and lead round in circles with subjective. I hope to god I don't get him in the assessment!

Most of the charts in the clinic don't have the fan and block so I don't think we'll ever have to use it really!

Yep in my second year - got pathology exam tomorrow :frown: Gotta love GCU and their "forward thinking" in putting exams before Christmas - except for those who weren't able to get to the uni for the first exam so now have an exam after Christmas as well! Worst of both worlds!

I've quite liked this year so far - more practical techniques, had a module on "Ophthalmic Materials" which was very dull and most of the class felt incredibly underprepared for our practical assessments - especially hand neutralisation and frame measure.

How are you enjoying your year so far?
Reply 58
Just to put it out their i think guys look great in glasses and some girls pull it off amazingly i just think they aren't for me. Sadly i'm not eligible for contact lenses :frown:
Reply 59
*there

Quick Reply