Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Union of Students secretly urged Government to make deep cuts Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    That's about as weak as my nan's piss.

The function of a union is to protect its members. Can you imagine the the auto workers union meekly asking GM "please don't cut our workers wages - we'd rather you increase the working hours and reduce medical coverage if you have to":rolleyes:

Porter's job is to say "NO" - not lie on his back waiting for a tummy tickle. He's a failure. No doubt we'll see him in government one day.
    I am sure he will feel right at home in the Labour party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I am sure he will feel right at home in the Labour party.
    Well, they're all about as spineless, clueless, and chinless as one another. Not a one of them fit to polish my boots.

ReputationRep:
    Can we see the full e-mails-even from the article you can see that they've been clipped and contextualised. I'd like to see exactly what was said.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they're all about as spineless, clueless, and chinless as one another. Not a one of them fit to polish my boots.
    Indeed - He would feel right at home in the party of incompetence, politics and economic naivety.

ReputationRep:
    Lmfao @ this.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed - He would feel right at home in the party of incompetence, politics and economic naivety.
    Never knew he was a member of the Tory party [/obvious]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    Never knew he was a member of the Tory party [/obvious]
    He is a card carrying member of the Labour Party.

ReputationRep:
    He is a card carrying member of the Labour Party.
    I know-I'm also a card carrying member and I've met him a few times (Though he's never been a Labour students man). I was merely pointing out that if we're talking about a party of incompetance, politics and economic naivety than one could just as well point to the Tories as Labour.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. The NUS have never given two ****s about poor students or just students in general. Aaron Porter's always struck me as a career politician who'll end up in a Labour seat in the North within the next decade.

ReputationRep:
      I know-I'm also a card carrying member
      Yeah, but unlike him, I don't think yo a ****.

I was merely pointing out that if we're talking about a party of incompetance, politics and economic naivety than one could just as well point to the Tories as Labour
      Arguably

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, but unlike him, I don't think yo a ****.
      Well, if its any consolation I think he's a **** as well-a **** whose really messed up these protests...

Arguably
      I have a feeling that we may have differing views on this...

ReputationRep:
      Well, if its any consolation I think he's a **** as well-a **** whose really messed up these protests...
      Quite.

I have a feeling that we may have differing views on this...
      I was getting a feeling that we might disagree.

(Original post by ajp100688)
        Doesn't surprise me one little bit. The NUS has and always will be dominated by middle class kids trying to protect their own cosy standard of life. The new fee regime will hurt middle class students way more than working class students and thats why they care about it. They use the idea of restricting access to working class students as a mask for their true intentions, which are totally self serving.

This information just proves that. Cutting grants and loans in the current regime would make it so much harder for many working class kids to go to uni. In fact much, much harder than what the coalition government is currently planning. I know for a fact that if my loans and grants had been cut the way the NUS was suggesting, I'd have never got to Uni.
        Superb post. :yy:

The function of a union is to protect its members. Can you imagine the the auto workers ...
          .... at the expense of everyone else in society ...

Corrected.

Arguably
            There is nothing arguable about it. It is a scam that politicians, bankers & universities are involved in. All at the expense of students.

It amazes me just how pathetically ignorant the population is, but they still insist on voting. If I didn't know ****, I'd keep my mouth shut in a tutorial. But when it comes to economics & the government, we have political parties that are economically destructive in their favour.

ReputationRep:
            The National Union of Students secretly urged the Coalition to make deep cuts in student grants and charge market rates of interest on student loans, according to leaked emails.

The disclosure is likely to cause discord within the union, which has led opposition to Government plans to allow tuition fees to rise to £9,000 a year.

The Daily Telegraph has seen emails from Mr Porter and his team in which the NUS leadership urged ministers to cut grants and loans as an alternative to raising tuition fees.

In private talks in October, the NUS tried to persuade ministers at the Department for Business to enact their planned 15 per cent cut in higher education funding without lifting the cap on fees.

In one email to the department’s officials, dated Oct 1, Mr Porter suggested that £800?million should be “deducted from the grants pot” over four years. That would cut total spending on grants by 61 per cent. Mr Porter also proposed the “introduction of a real rate of interest” for student loans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...nt-grants.html

****ing hilarious.
            Morons. Cutting funding would be a far worse outcome. It really would inhibit working class access.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
            There is nothing arguable about it. It is a scam that politicians, bankers & universities are involved in. All at the expense of students.
            It's a conspiracy.

It's a conspiracy.
              They are the people who will benefit from these proposals. Do you genuinely think that students will benefit? Have you given this much thought?

ReputationRep:
              Ha, thank god the referendum came back 'No' last week and we will be remaining out of the NUS.

(Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
                Speaking of which, how much does the NUS charge each university for being members? I used to know this. But yes, certainly something to put a smile on your face.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
              Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.