Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who introduced you to your music tastes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Listening to the rock stations on all the GTA games...
    I was about 9 when I started playing GTA (Tut tut, I know) so my musical tastes have obviously expanded exponentially, but I do believe GTA planted the seed in my head.

ReputationRep:
    Siblings and parents.
    I have a punk family :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    My friends. I like K-pop.

ReputationRep:
    After Bob the Builder it was Top of The Pops

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say anyone 'introduced' me to my favourite music as such. I'm a pop fan, so when I was younger I used to like pretty much anything on commercial radio/Top Of The Pops.

Now I'm older, I still love pop, but I think most of the stuff in the charts/on the radio is absolute rubbish. So I've discovered a lot of new music through forums (e.g. Popjustice) and from Last.fm recommendations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    At what age did your dad play you Slayer? That would probably count as child abuse
    He pretty much played it all the time, but I guess I started to actually take an interest when I was about 10, at which point I also got into the more extreme metal he didnt really listen to wit us around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattt_452)
    One Tree Hill...you are so right
    It has such an amazing and diverse soundtrack .

ReputationRep:
    I think it was the radio but my friends too

ReputationRep:
    My Dad predominantly. I don't want to phrase this in a way that makes him sound cold or standoffish or whatever because he wasn't, but it was music that we really bonded over, because I ended up liking all the music that he'd play from when he was at Uni, because he'd always play it in the car when I was growing up, and eventually we ended up introducing each other to different bands from that same era. He liked modern stuff too though, so it was also a bit of competition to be the first to hear the latest good song. One of the first things I did when he moved out was spend about five hours ripping all his CDs in case he came back and took them when I was out.

Mum as well, she's not that into music really, but the music she likes she really loves, so again I'd hear it in the car all the time.

And my friends who love the 70s/80s/90s too, just lots of 'listen to this, I think it's your sort of song', and watching films about music/bands, and then obsessing over the soundtrack.

ReputationRep:

:daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    I still remember sitting in the car as a young boy with my Dad and him putting on 'Phantom of the Opera' by Iron Maiden. Mind blown. Everything I listen to today has been shaped by that one amazing moment.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, my emo friend introduced me to MCR and then I started watching Scuzz. On Scuzz i discovered bands like Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine and Avenged Sevenfold. From there I developed my music taste. So oddly enough, I owe it all to MCR...

ReputationRep:
    Mostly myself i think, just finding linked artists on last fm, spotify and youtube. None of my friends and family have heard of some of my favourite artists. However some online friends helped me find some music i now love.

ReputationRep:
    My friends have, mainly, a completely different music taste from me...My friends occasionally have similar tastes but I wouldn't say they introduced it to me. I kinda just go about looking for new music that I think I'd like... :p:

ReputationRep:
    My family have, mainly, a completely different taste from me. My friends occasionally have similar tastes but I wouldn't say they introduced it to me. I kinda just go about looking for new music I think I'd like, :p:

ReputationRep:
    Classic brit rock by my dad.
    60's soul and motown by my mum.
    Ska and reggae I discovered myself.

ReputationRep:
    I get quite a bit from TV actually Adverts often have pretty good music...although in no way do they constitute even a fraction of my collection!

ReputationRep:
    Music channels
    Last.fm
    Friends

ReputationRep:
    Myself. Though I once did what the OP did and looked at the CD's my mum owns. We both love Motown and Britpop, yet she never really forced me to listen to her music when I was little. Genetics?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    First time I came across folk metal was when someone on some forum was asking people's opinions of this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGywo81G6lk
    Instead of that song I ended up listening to this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE5LJOOqIy8

From there my love of folk metal was born.

The progressive music I listen to came from my parents, though often the metal I like is strongly influence by progressive rock, even though I'm not much of a progressive metal fan - Sometimes extreme black metal bands are influenced by early genesis or something similar.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.