Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    It is though.
    We now officially have the most expensive public universities in the entire world.
    I think America still holds that presitigious title, amIwrong?

ReputationRep:
    Why can people not understand the concept of coalition politics? Yes, the pledge is something they should have upheld had they been in power, but they are not in power. They are the junior partner in government so have no power (and no mandate) to over-rule conservative policy, and have to make do with what they can get.

People will complain that the Lib Dems don't get anything out of it, but they have gotten several concessions in things, they just aren't publicised as much as they aren't "glamorous" or controversial.

ReputationRep:
    I might turn a non-political blue now,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    I dont see chelsea on this list
    Name a local rival Chelsea has that plays in red duhhh !! :facepalm:

Man Utd vs Man City local derby
    Liverpool vs Everton local derby

Chelsea

West Ham - claret and blue
    Millwall - white
    Fulham - white
    Spurs - white
    Arsenal - red/white - not 100% red

Even if you took Arsenal into consideration then RED STILL BATTERS BLUE !

(Original post by chloeee!)
      I'm probably going to get negged for this but I don't understand what all the fuss is about? Admittedly I don't know enough about the whole debate to really reach a considered conclusion but it's not as though poor people are going to be unable to go to university - loans do still exist to compensate for the rise, people. Taxing graduates to fund university education as Labour want to do just isn't fair - if you want to go to university, then it's up to you to pay for it, end of.
      This. Essentially this.

In fact, you don't even pay for it upfront. What is the fuss about?

Typical left-wing media sensationalism. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      :nooo:

It was to be expected though.

ReputationRep:
      Good!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
      No, American public universities (like Berkeley) are cheaper than British ones. Some states don't even charge tuition fees to some students.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by callum9999)
      Why can people not understand the concept of coalition politics? Yes, the pledge is something they should have upheld had they been in power, but they are not in power. They are the junior partner in government so have no power (and no mandate) to over-rule conservative policy, and have to make do with what they can get.

People will complain that the Lib Dems don't get anything out of it, but they have gotten several concessions in things, they just aren't publicised as much as they aren't "glamorous" or controversial.
      They are in power. The only reason this has passed is because the Lib Dems supported it. Without their support, it would not have passed.

(Original post by Nav22)
        what we can do now is to protest for the queen to dissolve this government which will cause another general election, it can be done she's done it before
        Over tuition fees? No, just no. Especially since the system isn't as bad as certain individuals make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by robinson999)
        yay for being priced out of studying medicine

as well
        yeah... i was planning on doing graduate entry medicine if i didn't get an offer this year.

that's out of the question now

ReputationRep:
        I feel sorry for the Year 12s...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        :facepalm2: Under the new system, poorer people are actually better off.
        Only for the very poor. Most people are worse off.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
        Where you getting minimum from?
        Well 6 grand is when they have to start paying for the poorer students.

Doubt many universities would be charging lower than this... apart from the desperate uni's that need students to come to their uni. The 'better quality' uni's will cost more... and I wouldn't want to go to a uni that wasn't a good quality uni.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Eloades11)
        does this even affect me? im going to uni in the summer
        Will affect you (and myself) for our last two years of study. So that's an extra £5-11k to pay back
        Looks like I'm gonna end up camping my way through uni.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
        Not for public universities.

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
          Where you getting minimum from?
          Do a simple Google search. Or even read the Browne review/other documents. The information is there if you are bothered enough to search for it.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Teveth)
          They are in power. The only reason this has passed is because the Lib Dems supported it. Without their support, it would not have passed.
          They are not in power in the way you and everyone else implies they are. Yes, it wouldn't have passed without them, but that is the principle of coalition governing. Every party can't get everything it wants (and if they refuse to compromise, why be in a coalition anyway...).

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by robinson999)
          they are still reviewing 2nd degree funding, but this will hit students hard, like those wanting to move into medicine or like wise degrees, after doing a degree, because for one reason or another they had a change of heart, i never wanted to study medicine in the first place, but after spending some time in a hospital part of the course i got the taste hospital sort of work i would love to do it, just not the lab side

fees are linked to the RPI instead of CPI even better
          I remember Willets saying the case of GEP medicine is considered different to other stuff - I hope so; I would hate to see decent graduate medics priced out of medicine.

(Original post by Doughnut)
          Does anybody know the extend to which medicine is affected by this? In that, is it just the same for others with a max £45k total tuition fee due to being 5 years?
          Undergraduate medicine yes. At present the NHS pays the tution fees for year five plus - I don't know if this will continue with funding changes and budget cuts.

ReputationRep:
          UKIP ftw

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.