Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liberal Democrats 1988-2010 R.I.P Watch

ReputationRep:
    yep R.I.P NO ONE LIKES YOU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    The sort of people who ignore all that and focus on the tuition fee increase will be the sort of people who don't think much about who they vote for anyway. All the parties have renegaded on some sort of manifesto pledge - the Lib Dems are hardly unique in that. And at least they have a valid excuse for it.
    Renegaded, LOL.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw this, found it funny.

Why did Nick Clegg cross the road?

Because he said he wouldn't

:lol:

Well, folks, you've given the Lib Dems a chance to show their true colours. Satisfied? Okay, let's move on.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by josh_v)
      The coalition was unexpected? Are you suggesting you did not expect there to be a coalition government or that you did not expect a coalition government to implement this policy?

If its the former i suggest that you are very much mistaken and that a coalition was very likely, even from as far back as 2006.
      I haven't been following politics for very long, however yes it is the former. However if people knew there would be a coalition between Libs and Conservatives, why vote for them?

We all know the Conservatives are dodgy, they somehow convinced Nick Clegg to change his mind about Uni fees.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
      I haven't been following politics for very long, however yes it is the former. However if people knew there would be a coalition between Libs and Conservatives, why vote for them?

We all know the Conservatives are dodgy, they somehow convinced Nick Clegg to change his mind about Uni fees.
      Come on, it's not like it's a well-hiden secret, that under the mask, Clegg is a son of Thatcher. Amazing what people would do for a sniff of power...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

The coalition was expected, it was shown in the polls in the upcoming weeks. Even when the Conservatives were leading in the polls everyone doubted whether they would actually return a majority to the House of Commons.

People were dissatisfied with Labour, they wanted a change. So they either voted Conservative or Lib. How would they know that a coalition would (apparently) dissatisfy them more than Labour did. They just didn't want Labour.

Edit: If you were voting Lib Dem you were seriously disillusioned to think that they would get into power without a coalition. Every vote to a lib dem is getting closer and closer to coalition.

ReputationRep:

Why vote for them? Labour want a graduate tax, Torys want to charge an indefinite amount for tuition fees.

As a flagship policy, it is reasonable to expect no rise in tuition fees to be one of the conditions of Lib Dems forming a coalition with any party.

ReputationRep:
      Like a whirlwind romance with an Irish playwright, in the cold light of day we wonder: why?

ReputationRep:
      Meh. All they've done is join the other 2 parties in reneging on election promises. I'll almost certainly still vote for them because I couldn't bring myself to vote Conservative or Labour, and I still like Lib Dem policies the best - a number of which were mentioned by the OP as having been adopted by the coalition.

If this Government ends up doing well, and higher education doesn't suffer too much - and personally I don't think it will - then the Lib Dems will be far from done as a party.

I should probably add that I've lost some respect for Mr Clegg, but I recognise he is in a difficult situation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Crazydavy)
      I have not fully read the post but I fully support. I am pretty sure the Liberal Democrats had the power to reject the legislation so they shouldn't give the rubbish about how they didn't get into power. They won't have a party come next election and I sincerely hope they do not. To think I used to support Nick Clegg!

He has built a fake reality around himself that makes him think he is doing the right thing. The party is a joke.
      You can rest, Nick Clegg is dead meat.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
      You can rest, Nick Clegg is dead meat.
      Glad to have someone who agrees, I was going to be sad if the people came who like to correct my speed written sentence and views

ReputationRep:
      Clegg exersised his government in what he thought was for the benefit of the masses as opposed to just for the benefits of students. There is life outside the university campus' y'know.

Signing that pledge was rediculously shortsighted; you can't predict what choices you'd have to make in government.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by V12)
      The thing is Labour didn't explicitly state, and sign pieces of paper stating "We promise not to invade Iraq and kill 60,000 civilians"
      You'd think not illegally invading another country and obliterating their infrastructure and murdering their civilians would go without saying, but oh well.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.