Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Prince Charles ATTACKED by students Watch

ReputationRep:
    I bet the police set up Charles and Camila there so the protesters would attack them and get the blame. It looks like a frame up to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    There probably won't be any more as big now sadly - the vote has gone through and the Tories and their pets the Lib Dems have passed the bill to increase fees to astronomical proportions. It's the law and it'll go ahead

Well done to the (peaceful) students who protested though - it was a closely fought contest and could have gone the other way fi a few more MPs had kept their word.
    Don't be so defeatist. The protests are just getting going. There are plenty of opportunities to pressue the government to repeal the law just like the poll tax was repealed because there were so many protests and discontent even years after the poll tax law was passed.

If students give up now, they're be paying for their lack of determination for years and years.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a question - how does violence aid any cause? Surely attacking such a high profile figure (also one who has nothing to do with the fees issue - he doesn't issue edicts!) will undermine their case?

I sincerely hope it does. This makes me support the UK Government even more now. IF this is the sort of action students take, they deserve any legal action taken against them.

They are thugs. That is all.

And here is the thing, why are the protestors saying '9K PER YEAR FEES!!!! CAN'T AFFORD THEM!!!!' when it isn't upfront? IT seems more reasonable than the current system of paying up front...so why the protests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    There probably won't be any more as big now sadly - the vote has gone through and the Tories and their pets the Lib Dems have passed the bill to increase fees to astronomical proportions. It's the law and it'll go ahead

Well done to the (peaceful) students who protested though - it was a closely fought contest and could have gone the other way fi a few more MPs had kept their word.
    Sorry, but the 'fees' are not upfront. Seems quite reasonable. So unlike the current system, you don't pay upfront. SO that should encourage more people to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifesabeach)
    their no more special than you or I, why is it any different. Its good publicity for the students anyway. Good on them.
    Really?! You think average Joe picking up todays newspapers littered with it on the front page is going to have anymore sympathy? A fair few working people already moan about "bloody students" I can't imagine any of the violence or damage in London yesterday is going to result in anything other than less sympathy from the general public

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    Here is a question - how does violence aid any cause? Surely attacking such a high profile figure (also one who has nothing to do with the fees issue - he doesn't issue edicts!) will undermine their case?

I sincerely hope it does. This makes me support the UK Government even more now. IF this is the sort of action students take, they deserve any legal action taken against them.

And here is the thing, why are the protestors saying '9K PER YEAR FEES!!!! CAN'T AFFORD THEM!!!!' when it isn't upfront? IT seems more reasonable than the current system of paying up front...so why the protests?
    One born every minute.

ReputationRep:
    personally i feel sorry for the policeman
    im a student and am pretty p***** about this whole uni situation. but the policemen were just doing their jobs and got injured in the process...badly. which i dont think fair.

as to the royals, personally i hope they feel better in a few days after such a traumatic experience (hint at the sarcasm). but i dont really care about them at all!

ReputationRep:
    Pure vigilantism!

"It's prince charles!!!!!"

"Off with their head!!!"

ReputationRep:
    All these rioting students should be in university, studying.

Back in my day we didn't fanny around with protests, we just got on with our work and went to the pub.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support violence but the look on Camilla's face make me lol.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting. Ignore the fact that it's royalty - any unprovoked attack on any person is outrageous and they should be brought to justice.

ReputationRep:
    The royals bring in plenty of money purely from being there, i'd agree that we give them too much but they are our figurehead... AND why is the violence necessary? we may be able to repeal the bill but not by being violent and acting like idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsam)
    personally i feel sorry for the policeman
    im a student and am pretty p***** about this whole uni situation. but the policemen were just doing their jobs and got injured in the process...badly. which i dont think fair.

as to the royals, personally i hope they feel better in a few days after such a traumatic experience (hint at the sarcasm). but i dont really care about them at all!
    finally a person with some sense

then i read the second part and my opinion just dropped right back down. Royals or not they were two people in a car surrounded by a violent mob and had paint thrown at it and attacked. Maybe next time some of you lot will the lucky ones to be in the car or getting stamped on.

I dont agree with the fee increase i think its despicable however the riots that have been done have only worsened your cause and the media wont focus on the peaceful work you all did but on the moronic idiots who decided instead of being civilised they would become chavs and wreck the place.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell! Do some of you not realise that the economics benefits of keeping a royal family by FAR outweigh the costs? Some people!

(Original post by Stanley Baldwin)

The attack on Charlie's car is a symbol of the division in British society, between those whose future comforts are certain through wealth and privilege and the rest whose future comforts aren't. What on earth was Charlie prancing around London in his rolls-royce for anyway during such a volatile and senstive situation? That's got to be a bad judgement call by someone.

The fact is that our society is one of deepening divisions and antagonisms, and when people get angry they get violent, it's not rocket science. The financial crisis was never really 'over' it was simply repackaged as 'austerity measures', i.e. the people were to pay for the failures and greed of capitalist accumulation. So much for Cameron's 'Big Society'; he is so going to be screwed by that sound-bite nonsense.

The coalition have been in power a little over six months and I don't believe for one moment that these spectacular protests will be the last.

ReputationRep:
      To attack the Royal Family is totally wrong.

To Riot and cause injury to others is totally wrong.

I agree with the right to protest.

Any one caught rioting, causing damage etc i would make sure that if they were in uni they would be chucked out and if they wanted to go to uni make sure they never got in.

You call your self protestors you are all thugs.

You should all be ashamed of your selves and i hope you are all pleased with the mindless thugery that has been shown so far.

All the true protesters out there would give the names of the thugs over to the police to stop this happening again.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Shame the royal family brings in more cash to this country in a year than you will across your entire life
      Yes, this certainly justifies being born into a life of such utter wealth and privilege (funded partly by the tax payer one can add), all because after all, you happen to be of a particular 'desired/superior' blood-line and because of the idiotic notion that its imperative that the country have a pretentious Royal Family.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by baseballfan2010)
      While I think some of the protests against tuition fees are too extreme, I don't have much sympathy for Charles and Camilla either. People have a right to surround the car if they want to.

I think being surrounded by a large mob of aggressive rioters and having things thrown at your window is a pretty terrifying ordeal for anyone. It doesn't matter if they're royals or not in that sense. It doens't matter about the fees or anything else. They were put in a threatening and probably scary situation and that shouldn't be allowed. People have no right to do that to anyone.

I also believe we owe our monarchy more respect, but I know many do not agree with my views, so I'm arguing purely on the basis that these people are human beings. I know I wouldn't like to be mobbed on the way to the theatre, so I wouldn't want other people to be either.

I think those involved in the aggressive parts of the demonstrations are absolutely dispicable.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by manchild007)
      Yes, this certainly justifies being born into a life of such utter wealth and privilege (funded partly by the tax payer one can add), all because after all, you happen to be of a particular 'desired/superior' blood-line and because of the idiotic notion that its imperative that the country have a pretentious Royal Family.
      That's a rather bad misrepresentation of the monarchist position.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by silverbolt)
      finally a person with some sense

then i read the second part and my opinion just dropped right back down. Royals or not they were two people in a car surrounded by a violent mob and had paint thrown at it and attacked. Maybe next time some of you lot will the lucky ones to be in the car or getting stamped on.
      this whole situation is about how much money Uni is going to cost people who are not well off and what do Charles and Camilla do?

Drive a ******* Rolls Royce straight through the protests

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.