Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

8 police men injured? What about the students? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    So you're suggesting that injuries among students deserve less sympathy just because they were simply exercising a right of theirs
    but surely they dont have a right to become violent? there would have been no injuries at all if what they were doing wasnt unlawful

ReputationRep:
    What about the students? They're lucky the police are so soft in this country, wouldn't have had this in Russia.

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame the police, as they are merely doing their jobs.

I don't blame the students, as they are unhappy and have a right to protest.

I blame the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    but surely they dont have a right to become violent? there would have been no injuries at all if what they were doing wasnt unlawful
    I never said students or anyone have a right to become violent - certainly not in this country. I was referring to those who were protesting peacefully, but were caught up in the mayhem and chaos which was partly as a result of indiscriminate police tactics.

ReputationRep:
    I think the students deserve everything that they got, pulling a policeman off his horse, throwing all manner of objects at the police aimed to cause serious injury to the police officers on duty, who as many have stated have absolutely no choice to be there or not and many extra police officers, who would have been expecting to have their day of work, would have been called in to work overtime to support their colleagues. The police are doing a valuable job and without them I don't want to think what damage these students would have caused.

On the case of the students, do none of them have lectures that they should be going to, or the school age children should be in school, I might understand one day off to protest but this has been going on for atleast a week now with regular daytime protests that people have been missing education for.

The peaceful protestors would not have been on the front lines facing the police and therefore would not have been attacked, and if none of them could see the trouble coming and get out of the way then it is there own fault. Many people would say that some of the protestors facing the police were peaceful as they weren't throwing objects at them but as the video showed they were still trying to push through the police line therefore not protesting peacefully so deserve being forced back and hit with the battons. If only the police were able to do more / use more force against the protestors or had stronger punishments, we are far too soft on people who cause trouble whatever age they may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacktabs)
    pulling a policeman off his horse
    nice signature.

ReputationRep:
    theres two sides to this but the police didnt raise the fees parliament did so why arent the students outside number 10?
    why are the students getting violent at demonstrations? obv for the crack

ReputationRep:
    Come on kids, do the right thing and help the police! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooarT3cn8_o

ReputationRep:
    you call that a riot? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone see that glorious hippy in the first few shots? At the left, lol.

ReputationRep:
    A student suffered bleeding to the brain when he was struck by a police truncheon during the tuition fees protest, his mother has alleged.

Alfie Meadows, 20, of Middlesex University, was hit on the head as he tried to leave Westminster Abbey area, his mother Susan Matthews said.

Alfie underwent a three-hour operation and was recovering in hospital.

A Met Police spokesman said: "We are aware of a 20-year-old male with a head injury who is currently in hospital."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11967098

ReputationRep:
    You're all talking about yesterday as if it was the polive versus the students.

The police were trying to control the minority of people who went to the protest with every intention of causing trouble.

Most people there were completely innocent and did get caught up in the trouble. If you've ever been stuck in a large crowd were there's pockets of people causing trouble, it's nearly impossible to move, nevermind leave the area where there's trouble.

All the focus on the trouble that the minority of people caused has detracted from the meaning of the protest.

Some peoples behaviour was compeltely outrageous, and those who were causing trouble deserved to be battoned by the police. But at the same time the police should recognise that innocent people were caught up in the trouble and those people deserve an apology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)
    You totally missed the boat there. The Riot police on duty were there because they have orders which they cannot challenge as it is their job and civic duty. They are also highly trained and no ordinary bobby can just go along and pick up a riot shield.
    My point exactly, I believe you have the choice whether you want to join the police or not and its kind of in the name, you know 'riot' police its not exactly unexpected that they'll have to deal with riots..

ReputationRep:
    I dont even understand why people are protesting. Students will be better off under the new system. They should take a look at factsonfees.com before they believe whatever rubbish the people just wanting to stir up trouble are spouting.

So many of my friends seem to be under the impression that they wont be able to go to uni because they don't have £9000 it's unreal.

And as for those saying the huge debts will put them off... then don't go! No ones forcing them to! I'm happy to leave uni with huge debts because I belive uni will help me get the job I want, so will be worth paying for! If you don't believe a great education is worth paying for and it should be some sort of 'right' then you're selfish and greedy. Think of poor kids in third world countries who can't even go to primary school. We should be greatful for the opportunity to go to uni and willing to pay for it as it'll benefit us! (And if it wont benefit you, for example if you're doing some joke of a course like fashion studies and just looking to spend three or four years pissing about, then DONT GO)

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame the police, they were just doing their job
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    I never said students or anyone have a right to become violent - certainly not in this country. I was referring to those who were protesting peacefully, but were caught up in the mayhem and chaos which was partly as a result of indiscriminate police tactics.
    with the way previous rallies had gone you couldnt be so naive as to think it was going to be peaceful! and if not they should have gotten out of there the second they saw trouble coming! no cause is worth putting yourself in danger for! hell, even at reading festival i wouldnt even stay until the end of some of the acts cos i know how bad its going to get if i stay.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed46)
    My point exactly, I believe you have the choice whether you want to join the police or not and its kind of in the name, you know 'riot' police its not exactly unexpected that they'll have to deal with riots..
    someone has to join the riot police!! where would we be if everyone decided they didnt want to deal with a bit of danger? these are people who are willing to put their own lives on the line to protect others and that should be respected!!!!
    yeh originally they have a choice as to whether they go into it or not, but once theyre there they cant just suddenly say 'oh i dont fancy that today sorry!' dont you think they deserve a bit of respect for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    someone has to join the riot police!! where would we be if everyone decided they didnt want to deal with a bit of danger? these are people who are willing to put their own lives on the line to protect others and that should be respected!!!!
    yeh originally they have a choice as to whether they go into it or not, but once theyre there they cant just suddenly say 'oh i dont fancy that today sorry!' dont you think they deserve a bit of respect for that?
    Oh my.. But they have a choice, yes? thankyou
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed46)
    Oh my.. But they have a choice, yes? thankyou
    are you telling me youre going to be so arrogant as to have that little respect for people who would be willing to put their own lives on the line for you?
    yes they had a choice in what job they went into but they could NOT just decided on the day they didnt ****ing feel like it!
    they put their lives on the line and all youre interested in is being right?!?!? sort your priorities out mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    32 students injured thus far, one police officer in intensive care, hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of property damage....

And the public turned totally on the side of the cuts.

What an epic cluster**** this has turned out to be.
    forget about the student who is fight for his life after getting attack by the police for leaving the area

just you wait the public will turn against the cuts soon when it starts to hit them, we have a country that cares about number 1 them self, when people stand up they call them everything :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.