Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sankey)
    What are the job prospects for people who do an economics degree at Exeter? (which is what i applied for), do they generally go off to work in big banks?

also could you break down the prices of the catered and non catered accommodation please
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-economics

Exeter is ranked 14th in the UK for Economics which is very good. Most selective big companies will be happy to have anyone from a Uni in the top 20. Exeter also has its own scheme designed for getting students work placements and extra project work which develops your employability (search "the Exeter Award").

Prices for catered and non-catered are different, Catered accommodation is more expensive at first glance. BUT you must remember that within self catered you will have to pay extra for meals, washing up stuff, clean your own room and more travel expense for food. At the end of the day, the CHEAPER option is to go catered, despite the initial up front charge.

Price breakdowns for catered residences are found at this link:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodatio...ences/catered/

you're looking at between 3,600 to 5,800 or thereabouts for catered accommodation.

Price breakdowns for self catered residences are found here:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodatio...s/selfcatered/

for self catered, you're looking at spending between 3000 and 5500, but remember the extra cost will take you way above that.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r.woods)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-economics

Exeter is ranked 14th in the UK for Economics which is very good. Most selective big companies will be happy to have anyone from a Uni in the top 20. Exeter also has its own scheme designed for getting students work placements and extra project work which develops your employability (search "the Exeter Award").

Prices for catered and non-catered are different, Catered accommodation is more expensive at first glance. BUT you must remember that within self catered you will have to pay extra for meals, washing up stuff, clean your own room and more travel expense for food. At the end of the day, the CHEAPER option is to go catered, despite the initial up front charge.

Price breakdowns for catered residences are found at this link:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodatio...ences/catered/

you're looking at between 3,600 to 5,800 or thereabouts for catered accommodation.

Price breakdowns for self catered residences are found here:
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodatio...s/selfcatered/

for self catered, you're looking at spending between 3000 and 5500, but remember the extra cost will take you way above that.

hope this helps
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When is it possible to move into uni accommodation? I would like to get there a couple of days before welcome week, just to get settled in - is that possible? I applied for the 40 week contract at three halls on Streatham.

Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumozamonien)
    When is it possible to move into uni accommodation? I would like to get there a couple of days before welcome week, just to get settled in - is that possible? I applied for the 40 week contract at three halls on Streatham.

Any help is appreciated
    Normally, they recommend arriving during the allocated time-slot during Welcome Weekend - it'll either be the Saturday or Sunday, depending on which Halls you're in. I got 4-4:30pm on a Saturday, though I think I arrived much earlier, but it didn't really seem to matter/bother them that much.

If you can't make it during the times they allocated, you might have to ring up accommodation office and make alternative arrangements, maybe even staying at a B&B first before moving into your flat.

You'll probably start getting details on when to arrive once you've accepted the "accommodation offer", which is probably in September, if it hasn't changed from last year.

To be honest, there's no point arriving too early, as you won't technically be "settling in", since you won't get to know anyone. The whole point about Welcome Week is that it's the "settling in" period for you on campus, in your flat & in Exeter. Most people will arrive in the Welcome Weekend anyway, so don't fret about getting here early too much.

ReputationRep:
    what GCSEs and A level results did you get?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    10Bs, 3Cs, 1D and 1E. I have an offer for biosciences with a year in industry.
    what grades did you get for your A levels, and i what subjects? If i may ask
    also, what did you do for work experience and personal statement-wise?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RastaMannn)
    what grades did you get for your A levels, and i what subjects? If i may ask
    also, what did you do for work experience and personal statement-wise?
    thanks
    I got ABB, but they were in film, english lit and english lang respectively. I had no work experience. I did a science foundation year and it was based on my predictions for that course that I received an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Randy P looks a bit bleh from the outside but the rooms are modern, pretty big, there's 16 of us per floor and we share a tea room, 3 showers and 4 toilets. Lopes is nice but the building is older so the rooms are either boiling or freezing and they don't all have sinks.

Lopes do all have sinks, one per room. As for the temperatures, nothing that a duvet/opening the window cant solve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    I got ABB, but they were in film, english lit and english lang respectively. I had no work experience. I did a science foundation year and it was based on my predictions for that course that I received an offer.
    Also, what GCSEs did you get? I'm interested in doing English as a degree, do you know what sort of grades (both GCSEs and A levels) I would be expected to get? Finally, sorry for all the questions, but was the science foundation course competitive?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Also, what GCSEs did you get? I'm interested in doing English as a degree, do you know what sort of grades (both GCSEs and A levels) I would be expected to get? Finally, sorry for all the questions, but was the science foundation course competitive?
    Thank you.
    English at Exeter has just raised its bar for A level grades to A*AA-AAB, but essentially without getting AAA you'd be lucky to get in, what with it being such an over-subscribed course

I don't think that they place all that much emphasis on GCSEs though

ReputationRep:
    what GCSEs and A level results did you get?
    thanks
    My offer was AAA (Classics and a Modern Language), although I did do more that 3 A levels, obviously it doesn't really make a difference as the offer is pretty much always for 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilalee)
    My offer was AAA (Classics and a Modern Language), although I did do more that 3 A levels, obviously it doesn't really make a difference as the offer is pretty much always for 3
    Is classics somewhat simular to history? I've heard is it, but thats just talk and not the facts XD. Also, what AS results did you get for them to make an offer, and what GCSEs did you get?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is classics somewhat simular to history? I've heard is it, but thats just talk and not the facts XD. Also, what AS results did you get for them to make an offer, and what GCSEs did you get?
    Thanks
    Yep, Classics is Greek and Roman history, but through written texts (either in translation or original language). It is language, history, archeology, art, philosophy etc, using ancient written sources. I love it ;D Was never a massive fan of history post Medieval times, I am sorry to admit!

I got 5 As and .... 1 C at AS (the C was in Latin... which I think is fair enough ;D) and GCSE... god, that feels so long ago! I got 12 A*/A (And a C, in Latin... spotting a trend?)

But I think it's different for different people, I think they take into account all sorts of things, such as extra-curricular activates

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.