Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will There Be Another Protest, If So When Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Yes, we can see democracy hasn't worked.
    If the vast majority of voters were students then you might have a point. As it happens, there are millions of voters who didn't go out protesting against the changes.
    The only case which what you've said might apply to in some way is the coalition government - nobody votes for a coalition (although I suspect Mr Clegg desperately wanted one on the basis that the lib dems winning in may outright was pretty low)

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good policy anyway.

Can anyone try to change my view? Nothing anyone on here or in the news has said has convinced me that it's bad.
    I'm open to being convinced.

ReputationRep:
    I hope theres a protest. If we do one every week for the next year, the government will eventually listen to us. Especially if we keep breaking things and throwing stuff at police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Continue with the protests:happy2:

I don't think the government were ever going to listen to students. I'm just hoping protesters put this government/MP's in their place and show them who's really in control

we voted for them, we should have the right to accept what want
    Well, actually, if you didn't vote for the Tories most of the government can tell you where to shove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Democracy is where the public votes for a party to govern, based on the promises they made in their campaign. Nowadays it seems the best liar gets the job. That's not a democracy since we did not vote for the changes which are now occurring.

Funnily enough (actually it's not funny) this particular situation was handled more like an autocracy. Not completely, since the MP's themselves got to vote against it if they wanted, but it is close enough.
    Tories got the most votes. Tory policies are being implemented. Sucks to be you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    People forget the basis of democracy. We elect a Government to do as we tell them. With a mere 21 votes difference, it's obvious almost half of Government disagrees with the increase, and most of the country does, too. Students - definitely, tax payers - yes, if they actually understood what was going on, and the implications this has for the future. Less graduates = less high paid jobs = less money = less care for people now when they can't wipe their own ****.
    How do you know most of the country agrees with it? If anything, after the way the protests went I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the country hates us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    That's a complete misrepresentation of reality simply because you're of a particular political persuasion, which is pretty piss poor really. An autocracy is a government formed by instilling power in just one person, such as a monarchy. Considering that the vote passed with a majority of only 21, how do you consider that a one person government?

Even then, they are still democratically elected, and there is a strong argument to demonstrate that the circumstances they find themselves in at the moment mean they can not deliver election pledges - as they are in a coalition. Understand? And even then, more Liberal Democrats abstained/voted against than voted for.

And you seem to think that's an autocracy? Are you honestly that much of an idiot.
    Did you even read my last sentence you fool.. "Not completely, since the MP's themselves got to vote against it if they wanted, but it is close enough.". I said it was like an autocracy because the guy who said he would not raise tuition fees (hint: Clegg) has then done a total U-turn and gone ahead with it, despite the voters (hint: students & lecturers) hugely protesting against it. The fact is that he just went on with it - alongside the Tories, without backing up the promises which got him into that seat of power.
    Regardless of 'being in a coalition', Clegg hasn't even bothered trying to reason with us over this intelligently, also saying he won't apologise for breaking his promises.

Maybe you should do some research and read what you're quoting next time :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperRape)
    How do you know most of the country agrees with it? If anything, after the way the protests went I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the country hates us.
    As I said, if most people knew what exactly the implications of this increase were then they would; and if not, then they are the sort of people the world can do without. You're right in saying that students have now been vilified, but there's nothing that can be done against such bigots.

ReputationRep:
    I said it was like an autocracy because the guy who said he would not raise tuition fees (hint: Clegg) has then done a total U-turn and gone ahead with it, despite the voters (hint: students & lecturers) hugely protesting against it. The fact is that he just went on with it - alongside the Tories, without backing up the promises which got him into that seat of power.
    Regardless of 'being in a coalition', Clegg hasn't even bothered trying to reason with us over this intelligently, also saying he won't apologise for breaking his promises.
    :facepalm:
    Do you even know what an autocracy is? It's a form of government run by one individual. Nick Clegg is hardly the King, he's the deputy Prime Minister for Christ sake. It is by definition, nothing like an autocracy, and the fact that you have no idea what the meaning is of words you are using, shows that you are a complete moron.

What exactly do you define as 'reason with us over this intelligently', there has been numerous debates, discussions, public hearings and examples of Liberal Democrats explaining their policy. Fair enough, you're completely entitled to disagree with it even then, but you're fudging the facts and trying to falsify reality in order to support your argument.

What autocracy has more electors opposing a measure (with a party) than the so called autocrat themself? :hmmm:

Did you fall out of the sky and land on your head when you were a baby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    If the vast majority of voters were students then you might have a point. As it happens, there are millions of voters who didn't go out protesting against the changes.
    The only case which what you've said might apply to in some way is the coalition government - nobody votes for a coalition (although I suspect Mr Clegg desperately wanted one on the basis that the lib dems winning in may outright was pretty low)
    Thats not because they did not want to but largely because they have to work and pay hefty morgages or even service student loan they need to pay off. the only people who are against you are the self-loathing and of course trolls and mind conditioners found here in plentiful amount on TSR

The people are with the students but they too are being screwed in every way imaginable each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jokercard)
    No mate, with everyone going to university they devalued the degree and just dropped the average graduate pay to match. The only degrees that really pay off are the ones with a profession at the end of them, like engineering, surveying and accountancy.

Money levels stay the same, just the distribution and competition change. Less people going to university will naturally mean less competition for those with a degree. More people going to university will mean more competition and competitive even pay to match..

What we really need is more professionals, more engineers to design and build stuff. With the rise in tuition fees we might see a rise in people taking more practical degrees because of the raised chances of earning more money. (and their more interesting too :P goo engineering!) This is good for the economy because we get more people earning tax instead of consuming it, and its shared around a lot fairer in the long run...
    Yes the value of degrees has dropped, but raising fees is not the way to solve this problem.

What they need is harder exams and more figorous interviews.

university shouldn't be elitist according to money, but according to how academic you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Do you even know what an autocracy is? It's a form of government run by one individual. Nick Clegg is hardly the King, he's the deputy Prime Minister for Christ sake. It is by definition, nothing like an autocracy, and the fact that you have no idea what the meaning is of words you are using, shows that you are a complete moron.

What exactly do you define as 'reason with us over this intelligently', there has been numerous debates, discussions, public hearings and examples of Liberal Democrats explaining their policy. Fair enough, you're completely entitled to disagree with it even then, but you're fudging the facts and trying to falsify reality in order to support your argument.

What autocracy has more electors opposing a measure (with a party) than the so called autocrat themself? :hmmm:

Did you fall out of the sky and land on your head when you were a baby?
    Of course not, that would've broken my spine and killed me...

You obviously don't know what a simile is so I'll let you look that up. For something to be LIKE an autocracy would not require only one man calling the shots, merely a small number of people making decisions against the general populace. For the record, Clegg said that he wouldn't be swayed on his decision regardless of protesting, so you're wrong. Explaining =/= Discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, that would've broken my spine and killed me...

You obviously don't know what a simile is so I'll let you look that up. For something to be LIKE an autocracy would not require only one man calling the shots, merely a small number of people making decisions against the general populace. For the record, Clegg said that he wouldn't be swayed on his decision regardless of protesting, so you're wrong. Explaining =/= Discussion.
    I know what a simile is, but you have as yet to explain why it is in any way "like" an autocracy.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even read my last sentence you fool.. "Not completely, since the MP's themselves got to vote against it if they wanted, but it is close enough.". I said it was like an autocracy because the guy who said he would not raise tuition fees (hint: Clegg) has then done a total U-turn and gone ahead with it, despite the voters (hint: students & lecturers) hugely protesting against it. The fact is that he just went on with it - alongside the Tories, without backing up the promises which got him into that seat of power.

Maybe you should do some research and read what you're quoting next time :facepalm:
    That's not an autocracy (or even like an autocracy) you total cretin, that's just someone lying. Students and lecturers aren't the only voters, either. There is a great deal of support for increasing fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Highest estimate I heard was 20k many people put it at far less than that maybe below 10k. There are something like 2 million students in higher education. Pathetic numbers really
    The numbers are clearly going to vary, considering they're from different sources. From the figures that I have seen and read, it does suggest that the number of protesters who attended was higher than what is stated above.

Regardless of the figures though, it's clearly an issue that many are outraged and disappointed by, and I highly doubt they're going to give up so easily in voicing their opinions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Well, actually, if you didn't vote for the Tories most of the government can tell you where to shove it.
    well I didn't vote for the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    well I didn't vote for the Tories.
    And?

ReputationRep:
    Only because the government has turned a blind eye and gone ahead with it anyway, hardly democratic.
    In terms of public sympathy and voicing our anger, I think we've been very successful, continuing this may have a difference.

By pissing on winston churchill and dissin the flag?
    LoL
    All you've gained is the sympathy of commies and anarchists

ReputationRep:
    Only because the government has turned a blind eye and gone ahead with it anyway, hardly democratic.
    In terms of public sympathy and voicing our anger, I think we've been very successful, continuing this may have a difference.
    These rises in tuition fees were in the Tory's manifesto at the election for everyone to see. They were subsequently elected with 36% of the vote - more than any other party

The only undemocratic thing here is students coming down to London to smash up buildings because they don't agree with said democracy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.