Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which universities will charge above £6000? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Most of the posters are acting in the belief that universities have a free choice in whether to charge up to £9000. The explanations that are being given as to why most, if not all, universities will charge £9000 are logical if universities are freely able to charge £9000.

It is not surprising that posters on TSR are making these comments because so are Vice Chancellors.

However, Cable has said that the ability to charge more than £6000 is going to be "exceptional" and linked to widening access. If that is a sop and all universities satisfy those criteria, every university will be "exceptional" and all, or most, will charge £9000.

At the moment it is no means certain that this is a sop. If Cable and Willetts mean what they say (and widening access is big in Tory as well as Liberal circles-Cameron knows that working class access to elite institutions has declined under Labour and since he was at university) a number of VCs are going to find that when they want to charge £9000, they can't. Alternatively, they will find that the cost of charging £9000 is too high and the university will be better off charging £6000 with fewer strings.

There is a very strong belief in Tory circles that university administration is monumentally inefficient and the last thing the Conservatives want to do is to give them a secure income source to reinforce that inefficiency.
    I'm sure that Vice Chancellors know this too... Assuming that the universities are agreeing to charge £9k a year without knowing the outline for doing so is, well, you know what to assume means...

Like I said, you read information from wherever you like, I'll believe what I'm told by the institutions that will be charging the full rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    All will charge £9000 except those way down the rankings table.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638

However, some universities may be able to charge fees high enough to enable them to increase their funding despite the budget cuts.

The Higher Education Policy Institute has predicted that almost all universities will charge fees of £9,000 - not just a few.

The knock-on effect of this, it says, will be that it costs the government more than it has predicted to subsidised the loans - which may result in further fee or interest rate rises.
    Those 'way' down the rankings table will realistically need to charge £9000 a year in order to cover funding losses and student losses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    sheesh thats so low! Must be nice. The most expensive school in the US, roughly converted into Euro's, is 49,000. Average would be 26,500, and cheepest is about 10,000 Euros (not a good uni though). If I decide to stay in the US for Uni I will be facing 160,000 Euros of debt. Even with the international fees being incredibly inflated, they were below the average of those in the US, which is why I am looking into schools there. You are all very lucky for the system you have over there!!

(Even despite these high prices the vast majority of people go to University, so I really don't think the rise in prices is going to turn many away from getting a University education)

this is all per year, to the best of my knowledge the British system works that way also.
    Yes but England is not the USA, why should that be taken into account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    sheesh thats so low! Must be nice. The most expensive school in the US, roughly converted into Euro's, is 49,000. Average would be 26,500, and cheepest is about 10,000 Euros (not a good uni though). If I decide to stay in the US for Uni I will be facing 160,000 Euros of debt. Even with the international fees being incredibly inflated, they were below the average of those in the US, which is why I am looking into schools there. You are all very lucky for the system you have over there!!
    Just because your government doesn't support funding higher education doesn't mean we all should condone ours going down that path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xannny)
    Yes but England is not the USA, why should that be taken into account?
    I was using it 2 support my point that people will still pay 2 go 2 uni, even if the price is jacked up a little.

(Original post by lechaton-x)
    Just because your government doesn't support funding higher education doesn't mean we all should condone ours going down that path.
    Where did I say that yours should? All i said was that prices here are ridiculous and it doesn't deter anyone fro going to uni, so I don't think it will in England either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    Those 'way' down the rankings table will realistically need to charge £9000 a year in order to cover funding losses and student losses.
    I still doubt they will be able to improve their reputation even with increases fee's.

Its like Oxford & Cambridge will always be successful due to their history and their 'name'.

I expect a few institutions lower down the tables to close down whilst the middle ranked universities will charge £9000 to force their standards up their to try and break into the top 10 as well as improve international recognition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Except you are missing one huge thing.
    The expensive American universities are private.
    All (but 2) british ones are public.
    If you compare our public unis to the american public ones, then ours will be more expensive.
    Most American Unis are private though, and the ones which are public typically are not always the best. Some are. You also only get the reduced and incredibly cheap price if you live in that particular state, and since most states don't have great schools, you end up either applying private or to public schools in other states, and than you will get hit with the hefty prices. But you are right, in state at a sub par uni, is probably cheaper than 6,000 euros.

ReputationRep:
    Except you are missing one huge thing.
    The expensive American universities are private.
    All (but 2) british ones are public.
    If you compare our public unis to the american public ones, then ours will be more expensive.
    which 2?

ReputationRep:
    the ones which dont have a life

ReputationRep:
    I doubt all Unis would have the qualifications to charge the maximum amount. I would have to say the top 30 universities, at first. However over time, the Unis that charged the base price of £6000 would be allowed raise their price to £9000. The goverment would become more linient I feel.

Either way, Its a terrible decision by the goverment, not to raise the tuition fees but to lower the amount of money they put into universities by 80%.

They argue that it would make Universities more competitive....how I have no idea.

btw, is the tuition for international students remaining the same?

ReputationRep:
    I think most of them will, now that they can!
    Oxbridge and most well known universities will go for much higher fees.
    Lets hope that they give out good financial support.

ReputationRep:
    All Of The Uni's In The United KingDom Which Are Helped In The Bursary Way By The Goverment

ReputationRep:
    I would not be so confident of everyone charging the same, the government will be watching to ensure they can back up the balance in the form of grants etc. There is no set standard for international students, better universities tend to charge more and I think a similar system is likelier to come into place.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge + Russell Group + Durham - £9k
    #20-30 - £7/8k
    #31 + below - £6k

That's my predictions, but no-one will know for sure until March when the 2012 Entry prospectuses are released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_question)
    I doubt all Unis would have the qualifications to charge the maximum amount. I would have to say the top 30 universities, at first. However over time, the Unis that charged the base price of £6000 would be allowed raise their price to £9000. The goverment would become more linient I feel.

Either way, Its a terrible decision by the goverment, not to raise the tuition fees but to lower the amount of money they put into universities by 80%.

They argue that it would make Universities more competitive....how I have no idea.

btw, is the tuition for international students remaining the same?
    I disagree, all unis would raise their fees to £9000 straight away. They can't affiord not to because their funding will be cut straight away. The government would allow them to raise their fees to £9000 because it wants them to receive less public money and transfer the burden to students. Don't be fooled by the £6000 figure.

At the moment, the maximum unis can charge is £3000 and everyone of them is charging the maximum. Some unis did have lower fees when fees were first introduced but they quickly increased them to the maximum.

ReputationRep:
    All the universities will charge the full amount. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just delusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I disagree, all unis would raise their fees to £9000 straight away. They can't affiord not to because their funding will be cut straight away. The government would allow them to raise their fees to £9000 because it wants them to receive less public money and transfer the burden to students. Don't be fooled by the £6000 figure.

At the moment, the maximum unis can charge is £3000 and everyone of them is charging the maximum. Some unis did have lower fees when fees were first introduced but they quickly increased them to the maximum.
    Well according to David Willetts the £9,000 limit would only be granted to universities in exceptional circumstances. I highly doubt all universities would be under this category.

Thats just my inclings really. If what the politicians have said in regards to this fee increase is correct ( big If) then I see no reason to assume that all universities would be allowed to charge the maximum amount.

Also the jump from £3000 to £9000 is far greater than the previous increase in tuition fees. In my opinion we should expect to see a varied market, where universities compete on not just the quality of their education, but the price which they set.

However inside the top 30, I anticipate all universities will charge the maximum.

We'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    which 2?
    Looks like I was wrong. Theres only one - the university of Buckingham.

(Original post by The_question)
    Well according to David Willetts the £9,000 limit would only be granted to universities in exceptional circumstances. I highly doubt all universities would be under this category.
    All they have said is that the university would have to offer better access to poorer students in order to charge £9000. That sounds pretty easy to me (could be as easy as handing out a bursary) and so I don't see why people think most unis won't charge as much as they can.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I was wrong. Theres only one - the university of Buckingham.
    Nah, there's two - Buckingham and Richmond, The American University In London (it's accredited by the Open University and some other US organisation).

ReputationRep:
    All of them will charge at least £7000 as that is the cost, per student, for a year of HE education. I work as Deputy Programme Leader for a course at the University of Hertfordshire and this was outlined to all the staff in my school today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.