Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many people full of resentment for the 2010 World Cup? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about the 2010 World Cup was Germany, who where absolutely amazing. They also showed that there is an alternative to Spain's boring possession, short passing football, which I am growing to detest, at a high level. They were unfortunate in the semi to concede from a set piece. Also, Ramos could easily have been sent off for bringing Ozil down and a penalty to boot. And of course Muller was suspended for a nothing yellow card. Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Muller and Lahm were a pleasure to watch throughout the tournament.

/germanyadorationrant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    Kaka was there in 2002 but only played about 20 minutes of a first round game so not sure if I could rate his contribution much!

Gilardino, Toni and Inzaghi have all been consistent goalscorers for club and country for a number of years, definately enough to be regarded as legends. Pirlo and De Rossi continue to be top dogs to this day and how can you not regard Totti as a legend? "lolwut" indeed!
    Despite him not contributing much, he still is a legend. A shame about his last season and a half though.

Gilardino and Toni Id have to heavily disagree on. They both havent really done anything of note on a major stage. Inzaghi, meh, maybe. The guy has been around for years and does get vital goals. But hes never really consistent enough. I dunno.

I did include Totti btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    What sort of logic is that? It's like saying Spain had a poor team because they lost to Switzerland in the first match of the World Cup, which is indeed a very important match. This was in the same tournament and can't be compared to what you are saying (comparing world cup with qualifying).

Not for no reason, Ballack, Klose, and Kahn were voted as some of the best players of the tournament.
    More self-contradictory bull.

Spain 2010 were full of top class players. The majority of Germany 2002 were mediocre nonentities. I believe only about 6 or 7 outfield squad members from 2002 were still there in 2006.

Ballack, Klose and Kahn class acts but that's just three players. They were a mediocre team not expected to go far and an easy draw helped. And very boring games.

ReputationRep:
    More self-contradictory bull.

Spain 2010 were full of top class players. The majority of Germany 2002 were mediocre nonentities. I believe only about 6 or 7 outfield squad members from 2002 were still there in 2006.

Ballack, Klose and Kahn class acts but that's just three players. They were a mediocre team not expected to go far and an easy draw helped. And very boring games.
    That wasn't much different in 2010 and 2006 either. It's not the players my dear, its the team. And by fact Germany has always had a great team at World Cups. Why did France flop 2010? Italy? England? Were they not full of world-class players? Who did Germany have in 2010? Maybe Lahm who you could have called the best player prior to the World Cup. Its the team. This way, you can say Germany ALWAYS were poor except 74 and 90 when they actually were a good team.

So, its not about the team for your information. So, why did Uruguay reach the semi-final? Are they a poor side as well now? Because they didn't have any big names? And they didn't play any big team except France, who were anyway ****?

I can understand the hatred between a German and an English person. English people will never like Germans, so I can fully understand you if I think about that.

ReputationRep:
    Who did Germany have in 2010?
    Neur, Mertesacker, Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Muller, Klose?

I think most of them would get in to the England side...

ReputationRep:
    My dad got beat up in moscow when i was little, hes black. My mum was protecting me, they tried to hurt me, but they didnt want to hit my mum, shes white.

ReputationRep:
    wtf u on lollz u not get jks?

I was using deliberate textspeak to take the pish.
    lol ok if you say so... if i type like this is this better for you? n no ur jokes arent funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Completely disagree about 2002 being a bad world cup. Brazil were a top side back then- we saw the genius of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Carlos etc.....plus I remember watching the England-Brazil match with my entire primary school at 8am with that howler from Seaman.
    Good god!
    That's brought back some cringe-worthy memories.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you do make some good poin-BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZTTTT

ReputationRep:
    Dull games, few goals, noisy (although I grew tolerant a few games in)...it was awful.

ReputationRep:
    I miss vuvuzelas

Also because most of the 'world class players' (in the eyes of the average English peasant) failed miserably, England did crap, the world cup winners went through the knockout stage with average football and four 1-0 wins

Germany to win 2014

ReputationRep:
    The number of star players who were ruled out (Essien namely, but also Ronaldinho, Pato, Zanetti Cambiasso et. al) fueled my disappointment - it felt like a watered down contest from the get-go.

And many of the star players who DID participate failed miserably.

ReputationRep:
    Mate the world cup was aaaages ago, has it taken you this long to put your argument together?

*yawn*

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed the world cup actually, moreso than 06, and I don't really remember my feelings on 02 (thanks 10 hour time difference) or 98, 94 i was only 6 years old so i only remember a few games.

The only really dreadful games (that I saw, I watched about 80% of the games, but missed a few due to work, the 3rd group games being simultaneous and missed the final and 3rd place playoff as I was at T in the Park) I thought were Uruguay France, Portugal Ivory Coast and Portugal Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't much different in 2010 and 2006 either. It's not the players my dear, its the team. And by fact Germany has always had a great team at World Cups. Why did France flop 2010? Italy? England? Were they not full of world-class players? Who did Germany have in 2010? Maybe Lahm who you could have called the best player prior to the World Cup. Its the team. This way, you can say Germany ALWAYS were poor except 74 and 90 when they actually were a good team.

So, its not about the team for your information. So, why did Uruguay reach the semi-final? Are they a poor side as well now? Because they didn't have any big names? And they didn't play any big team except France, who were anyway ****?

I can understand the hatred between a German and an English person. English people will never like Germans, so I can fully understand you if I think about that.
    What the **** are you on about, you stupid thick thick THICK IDIOT?

First of all, I couldn't care less about England - Germany issues. Germany were great to watch in 2006 and 2010. I was aware of the quality of players other than Phillip Lahm (e.g. Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Mertesacker, Kediera) BEFORE the tournament (helped by their Euro u-21 win in 2009). And there have been plenty of years in the past when West Germany had good teams that did not win the trophy.

In 2002 how did they get to the final? With very boring 1-0s against opponents like Paraguay, USA and Korea. Hardly inspiring and I regrettable sat through such bore-fests.
    And if you are going to start pointing out something similar about Spain this year on streaks of 1-0s, beating the Paraguay of 2010 was far more challenging than the Paraguay of 2002, and also beating Portugal and more significantly Germany - that's right the same Germany who played some awesome stuff in 2010 - and Holland is far more of an achievement than anything the Germany of 2002 did.

I know Uruguay had some big names like Forlan and Suarez before the tournament I do not begrudge their success this year. It is always nice when there is a GOOD surprise team that goes far - and happens to have some class players too like Croatia in 1998, Romania and Bulgaria in 1994, Cameroon in 1990, Belgium in 1986, Poland in 1982, Ukraine in 2006 even etc.

France were not even supposed to be there in 2010 and I knew their team were in transition this year. Italy also were in transition this year and I expected very little of a squad of mostly ageing players who peaked in 2006. Not THAT full of "world class" players compared to before. I am staggered at how thick and stupid and unable to understand any of this you may be.

And for the record I don't care that much about England either. I wanted a Spain-Argentina final this year. Nice to see I was half-correct!

ReputationRep:
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz

But seriously 2010 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be but it wasn't good either. I say spain kind of saved the world cup. Although one of the highlights for me was Uruguay vs Ghana because of the drama.

But I agree 2002 was worse, mostly because of the **** refereeing and other fails I cba to mention. But as every world cups there were some good points.

And I loved 1998, but mostly because I'm a france supporter

But in conclusion most complaints are OTT but we can't deny it was bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz

But seriously 2010 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be but it wasn't good either. I say spain kind of saved the world cup. Although one of the highlights for me was Uruguay vs Ghana because of the drama.

But I agree 2002 was worse, mostly because of the **** refereeing and other fails I cba to mention. But as every world cups there were some good points.

And I loved 1998, but mostly because I'm a france supporter

But in conclusion most complaints are OTT but we can't deny it was bad
    How so? They played some properly tedious football and got four 1-0 wins

ReputationRep:
    My favourite game in the whole of the 2010 World Cup was North Korea vs Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I thought they played some good football sometimes, although when I say this I was more interested in David Villa's actions lol. I think the reason I say this is because I was mostly away at work during germany's games

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Being attack minded and only held back by opponents that deliberately played very defensive? Spain couldn't help that!

Tedious football? What, more than flippin boring Greece 2004?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.