Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is our contemporary society laughable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you're feeling angry, I recommend reading The Age of Absurdity by Michael Foley and stop trying to sound like some sort of revolutionary intellectual in an online forum, for ****'s sake. You'll only end up with hostility with that kind of attention seeking behavior.

It's obvious to anyone that modern society has many flaws, but so had the societies before that, and so on since the beginning of civilization itself. Perhaps one day we will find a better model, (and we probably won't) but until then there's no point lamenting details like celebrity worship that are the fault of everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    OP, if you're feeling angry, I recommend reading The Age of Absurdity by Michael Foley and stop trying to sound like some sort of revolutionary intellectual in an online forum, for ****'s sake. You'll only end up with hostility with that kind of attention seeking behavior.
    I never get angry. do you? People who get angry are bad people.
    It's obvious to anyone that modern society has many flaws, but so had the societies before that, and so on since the beginning of civilization itself. Perhaps one day we will find a better model, (and we probably won't) but until then there's no point lamenting details like celebrity worship that are the fault of everyone.
    I accept our society as is. Do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

I accept our society as is. Do you?
    Well sure, it's not like we have a choice

ReputationRep:
    there always is choice in everything, that's common knowledge. everybody is free.

ReputationRep:
    there always is choice in everything, that's common knowledge. everybody is free.
    Uh... no. That's an illusion given by society.

ReputationRep:
    Is our contemporary society laughable since very few of the things we believe in matter in the grand scheme?

Millions own Blacberries or iPhones, but who cares? What if society one day became Luddite-esque and started to hate technology? What good would owning an iPhone or Blackberry be then?

We crave celebrities, but most of these people are flawed. Amy Winehouse is mentally ill and warped, Rooney is a cheater, people like Gazza are alcoholics. How perfect are these people then?

I think our society is good in that we generally are tolerant, but is one major negative that most of the things we value are just fluff?
    I absolutely agree. Possession of goods is the main goal for most people and those are the people who will give you crap for this topic. The ones who would do anything for an iphone blah blah blah. To be honest, what is life? We are all equal, its only items that distinguish us as rich or poor. I think spiritual richness is the most important thing in life (absolutely not religious but i am definately a man of faith in a higher being) I think the only thing we can do on Earth is be good to our fellow human beings even if they would murder you for a new xbox or tv

ReputationRep:
    Uh... no. That's an illusion given by society.
    everybody is free, this is fact. i am free to do what i want. there also is no such thing as a society, we live for ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    By that logic, life isn't worth living. We put all our time and effort into life however at the end of the day it is all in vain because we will eventually die anyway.

However that type of logic is just bull****.

Why is it BS? Nothing truly matters in life.

ReputationRep:
    everybody is free, this is fact. i am free to do what i want. there also is no such thing as a society, we live for ourselves.
    That doesn't even make sense. No such thing as society? Look around you! The majority of our actions and even our thoughts and desires are determined by our social environment. For example you might think you really want a sports car, but that desire arises from the presence of others who will judge you on your status and is not due to your own free will. When we think about, there probably isn't such a thing as free will.

The fact here is that no one is really free, not the other way around. You aren't free to do what you want. That should be a blindingly obvious notion for everybody.

You're just dropping some empty bull**** phrases around trying to sound smart and deeply philosophical, or this is a successful attempt at trolling.

ReputationRep:
    no, there is no such thing as society. everybody knows that. everything you say is false, since we are never driven by social ends. we are free to do as we please, but are not since there are laws and social norms.

there is no such thing as society, since people live in social groups and are dictated by social conventions.

ReputationRep:
    The UK has:

David Attenborough
    Brian Cox
    Stephen Fry
    Stephen Hawking

We're alright.

ReputationRep:
    lol... i'm making a simple observation, not being a "guru".

The fact is that much of what we value in modern UK society is fluff, with no true substance. it just seems odd that not everybody realises this, or least doesn't take it with a pinch of salt.

Everybody has a Facebook account, or a smartphone, or goes clubbing, but everybody knows that these things are just fluff ultimately. I couldn't give a **** if people do these things, since interests in life are always relative. i'm just interested why in our society things that are considered good have no true or deep justification/meaning behind them. And yes, other societies do them also, but I think because of Western influence.

ReputationRep:
    Is our contemporary society laughable since very few of the things we believe in matter in the grand scheme?

Millions own Blacberries or iPhones, but who cares? What if society one day became Luddite-esque and started to hate technology? What good would owning an iPhone or Blackberry be then?

We crave celebrities, but most of these people are flawed. Amy Winehouse is mentally ill and warped, Rooney is a cheater, people like Gazza are alcoholics. How perfect are these people then?

I think our society is good in that we generally are tolerant, but is one major negative that most of the things we value are just fluff?
    If one has become as cynical as our contemporary society is, then all societies in the history of humanity become laughable.

If one has not, then perhaps there is room for other types of reaction.

ReputationRep:

Another good book is 'Affluenza'.

Or anything (anything) involving Charlie Brooker.

ReputationRep:
    Celebrity worship is sad, but good, but sad. It has no deep meaning. Most practices in most societies have a deep meaning. i couldn't care less if people did it, it's their own business. if people want hollow pursuits, well everybody is free in life, right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.