Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    As far as the violence by the students is concerned, I agree with you there. As for the illegal tactics by the police, what tactics are those?

I think the police handled it rather well all things considered.
    I think the students got off lightly anyway, because now the police tactisc are coming into review there is now talk if bringing back water cannons to deal with situations like this.

But on the plus side at least some students will get a wash :cool:
    As far as my sources are concerned there have been numerous complaints at the behaviour of the police with regards to their strategies of kettling and charging. I'm not disputing that these tactics work, but they are hardly a display of civilised policing in a society that supposedly values civil liberties. According to a friend of mine who was there (a peaceful protester, although I'm not sure if she is 100% reliable) the police "covered their faces and took off the reflective jackets so they looked like protestors." She also informs me that everyone was made to have their face put on video before they were allowed to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    As far as my sources are concerned there have been numerous complaints at the behaviour of the police with regards to their strategies of kettling and charging. I'm not disputing that these tactics work, but they are hardly a display of civilised policing in a society that supposedly values civil liberties. According to a friend of mine who was there (a peaceful protester, although I'm not sure if she is 100% reliable) the police "covered their faces and took off the reflective jackets so they looked like protestors." She also informs me that everyone was made to have their face put on video before they were allowed to leave.
    It is common knowledge amongst police officers that I know well; that riot police often swap the identification numbers on their epualettes around before any big action for obvious reasons.

I think that says it all really.

ReputationRep:
    Officers also removed identification numbers (as they did when Ian Tomlinson was murdered) and covered their faces, another example is at the end of this video a non-violent protesator is rammed to the floor by an officer. I find the removal of ID numbers and the covering of the faces particularly unsettling - especially considering the Tomlinson incident. The only reason it would be done would be to avoid detection - if for example you battered a philosophy student to the point of requiring brain surgery. On top of all this, Cameron made up lies about protestors beating up policeman by dragging them off horses (in fact a copper simply fell of a horse). Interesting that the 'civil liberties' coalition is looking at bringing water cannons to London - that shows the complete contempt this government holds for the masses.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    It is common knowledge amongst police officers that I know well; that riot police often swap the identification numbers on their epualettes around before any big action for obvious reasons.

Beat me to it Edit: Although in the case of Tomlinson and the video they didn't even bother switching, they simply pulled them off - it's nothing short of a rent-a-mob if this level of accountability is removed from the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)

Well there we have it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main thing to consider here is that the Police are supposed to be the professionals. That doesn't simply mean good organisation. It means a concious effort to protect the public at all times in all circumstances, and the protesters are still members of the public. Those committing crime were a small minority and the police tactics for dealing with this small minority is to violently contain the peacefull majority.

The inevitable consequence of this is that the peaceful majority. Who are not professional nor organised become angry, frightened and violent. It would seem the police response to this is more forceful containment.. akin to throwing fuel at a fire.

ReputationRep:
    `nay.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't condone such actions however perhaps it was to avoid any chance or retribution or critisism for any actions they may have taken (or were about to take.)

ReputationRep:
    This has gone to vote, here.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.