Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Always disappoints me when students lose interest in the last week of term because they start thinking about end of term parties or wag classes to get essays done. It undermines efforts to try and get more contact hours out of departments, because when you try to lobby for more contact time the department just says well even at 8 hours a week the average attendance over the term is 65% or whatever.

I remember one girl on my course, who at the start of term had been a big militant about "OMG we pay £3000 fees, for what, 10 hours a week??" announcing proudly two weeks before the end of term "thats the last seminar for this module done!", I said...well there's two more weeks, and her reply was "yeah but you're allowed to miss 3 out of 11 without being kicked out, and I've only missed one so far, so there's no point going to the last two". She got a 2:2 in the end but blamed it on "crap teachers"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Always disappoints me when students lose interest in the last week of term because they start thinking about end of term parties or wag classes to get essays done. It undermines efforts to try and get more contact hours out of departments, because when you try to lobby for more contact time the department just says well even at 8 hours a week the average attendance over the term is 65% or whatever.

I remember one girl on my course, who at the start of term had been a big militant about "OMG we pay £3000 fees, for what, 10 hours a week??" announcing proudly two weeks before the end of term "thats the last seminar for this module done!", I said...well there's two more weeks, and her reply was "yeah but you're allowed to miss 3 out of 11 without being kicked out, and I've only missed one so far, so there's no point going to the last two". She got a 2:2 in the end but blamed it on "crap teachers"
    I do agree with this actually. Students can be very hypocritical..

ReputationRep:
    All my lectures (that are still running) are just essay advice which I don't require.
    And all the seminars are for presentations I've completed. So instead of going in I'm working on essays.

ReputationRep:
    I can go on my Christmas Holiday for a month knowing proudly that I attended as much lectures as I could and all my work was handed in on time and to the best I could manage . I missed lectures due to being snowed in, sickness and sometimes when I didnt like the topic (devolution and nationalism and electoral geography) I am too polite to sleep through at the venue!, also sometimes coursework got on top of me so I did miss a few! (I'd say 88% attendance) which is good, I say!. It's really bad because I know I have exemption from my two geography exams- my major subject (GG2003&GG2004) at Aberdeen University, but there is still another week of teaching, so I dont know, but I will make that extra push, though not to Friday 17the December's revision lectures! Anyway, I have a small History test and essay to get back from my tutor next week, so I cant give up yet!

Wish me Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    100% know what you mean. I went to zero lectures or seminars last week, and I skipped a lecture and a seminar this week. I have 3 essays 2000 words each due in next friday, I have started writing the inroducton to one and thats about it. For one module I have skipped more lectures than I have been to, and I have no idea what the essay is on, I havent done the reading for 5 weeks. The funny thing is this guy in my seminar class never skips anything and makes notes on his mac all the time and always talks in the seminars, whereas I sleep, skip, doodle or daydream and I beat him in the ICA by more than ten marks, and beat him on another essay (i actually pay attention in that one though tbh).

I have no motivation whatsoever, I am always feeling tired despite getting at least 8 hours sleep a night, and I spent most of the week depressed after an argument with my parents and just starting to cheer up.

I haven't had any fruit in over a month, would this have a bearing on my sluggishness, lack of concentration and generally unhealthy feeling? My diet is also poor, bacon, tea, spag bol and alcohol. (Actually got to the point where I think I am becoming an alcoholic, yesterday I felt like I needed to have a drink, rather than just wanted one.)

So yeah, whether its depression, apathy, end of term, not having attended lectures, **** diet or alcoholism I am not feeling positive or motivated to do any work at the end of term.
    It's not alcohol, it's the ****ty diet. Can't believe people think they can eat nothing but bacon and chips and crap and still come out smiling the other end. Go to the vegetable aisle first at the supermarket. It's also much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I may not know much as I'm not at uni yet, but isn't it a waste of money taking loans out and then missing lectures? The average student has about £30,000 of debt at the end (or so I've heard) and you're wasting it, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I must be suffering from end of term something because I read this as "end of term titties"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    I must be suffering from end of term something because I read this as "end of term titties"

Don't worry, so did I :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    It's not alcohol, it's the ****ty diet. Can't believe people think they can eat nothing but bacon and chips and crap and still come out smiling the other end. Go to the vegetable aisle first at the supermarket. It's also much cheaper.
    I'm not spending any money until my next student loan installment comes through. I'm just gonna live off of what I have. Which is bacon and spag bol.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been to lectures at uni in about a month. I've been to my tutorials and exams, though. I've gotten into this horrible routine of staying up til 3/4am, and not being able to get out of bed til 12/1pm the next day. :facepalm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.