Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most disappointing game of 2010?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    I'm not saying the game was hard, but shrouds were rare enough not to be able to "cheese your way through" on them, and the fact that if your lead character died then it was game over made it a bit "easier" to die.

The way health was restored after every fight and there was no real limit on being able to heal yourself made it a bit easier, but with the battle system that was in the game nothing else really could have worked. Another thing is that if you died, there wasn't really any penalty because you were just taken back to right before the fight that killed you, rather than being taken to your most recent save point.
    A lot of the post-game stuff was pretty challenging though. To be honest I find losing progress because you died in an RPG really annoying. In FFXIII individual fights can be challenging rather than being slowly worn down by battles.

But anyway, I'd still put FFXIII as my most disappointing game. I don't hate it, but it was still disappointing. I didn't like the ultra linearity of it. Even Square Enix have basically said it didn't turn out as they'd hoped. Although that's nothing compared to what they've said about FFXIV

ReputationRep:
    FF XVIII was such a pile of crap, very disappointed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    Another thing is that if you died, there wasn't really any penalty because you were just taken back to right before the fight that killed you, rather than being taken to your most recent save point.
    Yep pretty much what I was getting at. There no real cost to death. Theres no punishment for being bad at the game, which I guess is a good thing for people new to RPGs but Final Fantasy and Square have been around for long enough that they should know their fanbase is huge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.