Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cinema Snacks expensive Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wilkinson's is ok i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    i don't understand why we have this 'need' to eat sweets/chocolate/popcorn/crisps and drink fizzy drinks while watching a film at the cinema? I never usually take or buy any food, i just take a bottle of water in my bag in case i need some
    :O its not a film if there are no snacks or drinks

edt: what idiot gave me neg rep for sayin that??

ReputationRep:
    I just go into Wilkinson's, fill up a cup full of sweets, go into the 99p store and buy two bottles for, obviously 99p and put them in my black bag. Buy my ticket, get searched because apparently i have some sort of dodgy walk and leave the cinema fatter and often disappointed.

I don't normally eat at the cinema but I don't go to the cinema very often because it is expensive. Tend to go to a cinema with a licensed bar but don't mind paying for a glass of wine or a beer. If I do want food I normally just take some sweets from a normal shop..

Used to work in a cinema with a no food and drink policy (it was an indepedant cinema in a bigger arts venue) was wonderful to watch films without the distracting noise of people stuffing thier faces and rustling bags and wrappers constantly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by meatzaper)
      :O its not a film if there are no snacks or drinks

wouldnt be the biggest fan of stuffing my face in the cinema either, also its a bit of a rip. Usually stop off in a tesco on the way there if peckish

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mailmrluke)
      wouldnt be the biggest fan of stuffing my face in the cinema either, also its a bit of a rip. Usually stop off in a tesco on the way there if peckish
      I wouldn't stuff my face but you need some sort of balance... if i wouldn't sit down watching tv for 2hours without a drink... why would I do it anywhere else??

ReputationRep:
      Literally at my cinema it costs 15p per nacho so food is a no no.

ReputationRep:
      I always buy food and sneak it in. Once I went to the cinema with my friends and the few of us that brought bags had very small bags so one of my friends stuffed the popcorn down his tracksuit bottoms. The funny thing was they let us in even though he was rustling! Fun times. I refuse to spend a fiver on popcorn I, a) will not finish and b) that has been made in a machine cleaned by the same apparatus that cleans the floor, if my sister's friend who worked in Cineworld is to believed. 99p Butterkist popcorn ftw.

ReputationRep:
      I generally take in sweets I've got from elsewhere if I want any. Generally though I only have a drink, probably 50/50 between me buying something from a corner shop or me forking out for a medium fanta.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by diamonddust)
      I always buy food and sneak it in. Once I went to the cinema with my friends and the few of us that brought bags had very small bags so one of my friends stuffed the popcorn down his tracksuit bottoms. The funny thing was they let us in even though he was rustling! Fun times. I refuse to spend a fiver on popcorn I, a) will not finish and b) that has been made in a machine cleaned by the same apparatus that cleans the floor, if my sister's friend who worked in Cineworld is to believed. 99p Butterkist popcorn ftw.
      65p in Asda ATM.

ReputationRep:
      I once paid £6 for pick and mix at the Vue cinema in Islington! Insaneee.
      So now I always take my own bottle of water and a packet of Percy Pigs from M&S

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by affinity89)
      They are a rip off, for sure. I never tend to buy snacks at the cinema though - I get a drink or something beforehand and take it in inside my bag.

I am heading to the university cinema tonight. Not quite as comfortable and it takes a month or so for the films to be shown, but at £2 a ticket, you can't complain. Plus, they don't sell snacks etc so there is no problem with bringing your own. The only rule is no hot food or alcohol.
      (For next year), Durham has a good film soc too, £2 per film or £1 for members and membership's only £5 or something. They sell pick and mix/sweets/chocolate too but at really cheap prices

ReputationRep:
      business matters so thats why you got ur cinema snacks with 'extraordinary-price'

ReputationRep:
      Cinema is ridiculously expensive now hence why people just stay at home and watch films there, unless it's a massive hit where you have to experience the cinematic feeling. The food is expensive too, however if people are willing to pay for it which most people do, then cinemas have no reason to reduce their prices if they're profiting.

ReputationRep:
      If I were to buy food at the Cinema a large coke would be around £5, Large Popcorn £3 or above and the ticket would be £5.50!

In total £13.50! That's a bloody lot.

Normally I make popcorn (79p) per 600g pack (Estimated price/weight) and a bottle of coke (£1.20) (Estimation and it depends on the shop where you buy it from) and the ticket would be £5.50.

£7.49 - Better price and it's under £10 :cool:

ReputationRep:
      I'd never buy cinema snacks! I think our Odeon back home has signs up somewhere about not taking your own food in, but they'd never know in the dark I always sneak stuff in, why spend £3 on a drink and £5 on food when you could get the same thing at a newsagents beforehand? My one cinema food weakness is the red and black jelly berries. OH god yes. But again, I'd buy those elsewhere beforehand if I wanted them.

ReputationRep:
      I hardly ever get to go anymore because I just can't afford it But when I do go, I take a bag of Morrisons sweet popcorn- tastes almost as good, but 99p instaed of £6. Bargain.

ReputationRep:
      When I went to see Harry potter, a woman in front of me pulled out an immense ceramic bowl filled with various Fruits... I was like :zomg: What's wrong with you? Put the cling-film back over that thing and get yourself some real food.

I bought a medium popcorn, a drink and a bag of maltesers and got charged nine quid... but at least I didn't fetch fruit :cool:

ReputationRep:
      What always makes me laugh is when we go in there with a BUCKET of toffee popcorn in our rucksacks and big litre bottles of pepsi max we got from Farmfoods/Heron/Poundstretchers that cost us about £3 in total to sort out 3 of us, then the advert comes on-screen saying "VALUE COMBO DEAL FOR TWO AT THE COUNTER! Two dispensed drinks and a Popcorn to share - ONLY £8.49!"

ReputationRep:
      I live in Norway, probably one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Cinema tickets cost 10 quid, and I certainly don't buy any snacks at the cinema. It's really expensive! Like even more expensive than petrol stations. (and they are expensive)

I usually don't eat any snacks. But if I do bring any, I buy them somewhere else.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.