Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Green Party offering free membership to under 30s on back of protests Watch

(Original post by yawn)
      Your avatar kinda exposes your political loyalites. There's only one party for you, eh?
      UKIP? I doubt Thatcher is a fan of Cameron!

(Original post by CandyFlipper)
        I doubt Thatcher is a fan of Cameron!
        I'd say that she probably prefers him to Milliband...if she had to choose...

ReputationRep:
        Like a failing prostitute they MUST put it out for free. good tactic. But until I start wearing trousers made of cannabis and eating the leafs , conkers and God knows what from my garden. You will remain below third hanging around Clegg our lying useless turd.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AnHuman)
        Green party, who want a "maximum wage" in addition to a significantly increased minimum wage, as well as massive list of products and services be free for everyone. They're nutters who have no understanding of the most basic economic concepts.
        I'm sure they understand basic economic concepts, they just believe that capitalism is not the way forward.

It's a valid view, even if it's a particularly weak one.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by twl)
        Green Party are in league with the banksters parcelling up our very air through the Emissions Trading Scheme (carbon credits) and passing the cost on to the taxpayer through our electricity bills - killing pensioners and further impoverishing students who can't afford expensive electricity.

I bet loads will sign up.
        As far as I know there's not the Green Party setting up electricity prices, nor the ones that sell "Carbon credits/certificates."
        '
        You can always use renewable energy which is generally free after you bought the equipment (solar photovoltaic panels, wind turbins, etc.)

Don't worry, I'm not a Green Party member.

(Original post by Ice_Queen)
          I'm sure they understand basic economic concepts, they just believe that capitalism is not the way forward.

But they're not exactly anti capitalist, they're more like massive market interventionists. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to nationalise nearly everything. Still don't think they're insane enough to be out and proud anti capitalists though.

The Greens are the ultimate party of promising the world because you'll never have to be elected and face economic reality anyway.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ice_Queen)

Ok, let's take supply and demand, or the definition and meaning of fiscal deficit, no, they really don't.

If they enforce a maximum wage they force multinationals with high earning exec's, not to pay them less, but merely to relocate their headquarters.

Increasing the minimum wage, is installing a price floor even further above the market equilibrium, it arbitrary increases the cost of labour regardless of its value. Again, a minimum wage does not mean a company necessarily will pay all its workers more, if the value of what they produce is less than that arbitrary imposed floor, they will simply be made unemployed. Increasing the price of labour in such a way just incentivises capital intensive production, and relocation overseas. It essentially divides the low-income earners into two groups, those now on a higher wage, and those now without jobs, increasing 'inequality'.

They do their tax-take predictions on the assumption that people will behave exactly the same when facing say... a 60p rate, as a 40p rate. In reality you will have an exodus (you can debate about the scale etc etc, but one of some magnitude would occur under a Green Party tax regime), flight of both 'talent' and capital.

Their attitude towards a public deficit is like it's just a word to them, with no real grasp of what it means... it's like they ENJOY paying billions in interest to commercial banks and other bond holders and are happy for this to both continue and increase, and don't seem to understand it is by definition unsustainable (Ironic as they fap to high heaven over sustainability in other fields).

BLAH BLAH BLAH, I could go on for a while.

My point is, they stick to their principles in a way that they don't let the facts of what their policies would actually achieve get in the way of their preaching. It wouldn't even achieve THEIR objectives... let alone anybody else's.

P.S. Caroline Lucas is economically illiterate.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by mike_mike)
          As far as I know there's not the Green Party setting up electricity prices, nor the ones that sell "Carbon credits/certificates."
          '
          You can always use renewable energy which is generally free after you bought the equipment (solar photovoltaic panels, wind turbins, etc.)

Don't worry, I'm not a Green Party member.
          Renewable energy isn't free. 2/3s of wind turbine revenue is government subsidy! You pay for it in your taxes and electricity bills - well, your parents do.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by twl)
          Renewable energy isn't free. 2/3s of wind turbine revenue is government subsidy! You pay for it in your taxes and electricity bills - well, your parents do.
          If you want to have your home powered by renewable energy only, then, after the first investment, yes, it is free.
          Solar panel have a lifetime of about 20-30 years.
          Wind turbines have a lifetime around 20 years with the possibility of life extension if the is no high turbulence in that area.

And if you really believe in the subsidy argument..look at how much they subsidy the coal or oil energy industry and at the bad effects they have for people, natural or even anthropic environment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.