Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's everyone's opinions on dreadlocks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just think they make people look dirty.
    I suppose if I didn't wash my hair for a month, it'd look quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    srs? :lolwut:
    Yeah, washing up liquid strips grease from hair in the same way it does plates. You need something residue free to wash dreads.

And Adam, I have only ever seen a few greasy sets of dreads, but mainly dreads are clean cos dirty hair doesn't knot.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started my locs and I want them to look like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cs3acYzFUi..._1933114_n.jpg
    but they currently look like... http://unclefunkysdaughter.com/image...mage19_big.jpg
    Exactly like that... same length and everything. They've really made my non growing afro hair start growing! I love dreads. :love: And no, I'm not rasta.

There's a guy in my RS class with dreadlocks and they really don't suit him. They're not even neat, they're just a huge clump on the top of his head, looks like a rats nest. If you take care of them, they look lovely. If you don't... they look horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're skanky, can't help but think the people with them are unwashed and unclean.

ReputationRep:
    To be entirely honest, I'm not a massive fan.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I just don't find it attractive at all.
    I wouldn't rule someone out just because they had dreadlocks, but it would be a case of liking them despite of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I've just started my locs and I want them to look like http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cs3acYzFUi..._1933114_n.jpg
    but they currently look like... http://unclefunkysdaughter.com/image...mage19_big.jpg
    Exactly like that... same length and everything. They've really made my non growing afro hair start growing! I love dreads. :love: And no, I'm not rasta.

There's a guy in my RS class with dreadlocks and they really don't suit him. They're not even neat, they're just a huge clump on the top of his head, looks like a rats nest. If you take care of them, they look lovely. If you don't... they look horrendous.
    Maybe his dreads are just young; caucasian hair dreads in a different way and looks pretty rubbish for a year before it looks like nice dreads.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanniSteele)
    Had mine for 10 months now, and I love em! Just curious about other people's thoughts

And yeah, they do get washed and are totally clean and stuff.

Pic is a bit dark, but my parrot is asleep and didn't want to wake her
    Awwwww that's a lovely parrot

ReputationRep:
    :coma::sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Terrible unless you're Jamaican.
    this

ReputationRep:
    they look stupid unless you're black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Waist-length hair?!!! :woo::eek3: *wants to see it* :o:
    This is my hair. It's very curly and so looks shorter, but when I straighten it it goes past my belt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    This is my hair. It's very curly and so looks shorter, but when I straighten it it goes past my belt.

:woo: Looks lush and healthy! :top:
    Dyed? :eyebrow: Or natural? :sexface:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I respect the dedication people have to their dreads. I used to know I guy who had them down to his waist, then he got it all shaved off for seemingly no reason.
    I wouldn't get them myself (although my hair is more than long enough to have a go) but I'm happy for other guys to have them. They look a bit odd on women though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

\m/
    win.

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Looks lush and healthy! :top:
    Dyed? :eyebrow: Or natural? :sexface:
    Well, my hair is naturally a dark auburn with blonde bits but I've used red henna on it to lighten it up and get rid of the blonde (which comes out as very fiery orange streaks). It's basically my natural colour but on the other end of the light/dark spectrum.

. . .

Yes, I know . . . I'm a fraud .

(Original post by Manitude)
    \m/
    win.
    Tr00! :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    I have a fetish for white women with dreadlocks :love:

ReputationRep:
    Well, my hair is naturally a dark auburn with blonde bits but I've used red henna on it to lighten it up and get rid of the blonde (which comes out as very fiery orange streaks). It's basically my natural colour but on the other end of the light/dark spectrum.

. . .

Yes, I know . . . I'm a fraud .
    Henna is natural, so it's fine! I'm going to henna and Indigo my hair when it's back to natural to get the raven black I like.

ReputationRep:
    Suit some people but not everyone. I had a phase there I wanted them this summer...but...just...no. I think some guys can be really attractive with them though

ReputationRep:
    Henna is natural, so it's fine! I'm going to henna and Indigo my hair when it's back to natural to get the raven black I like.
    Have you been to a shop called Lush before? That's where I got my henna from, they have a midnight blue one I think. There's a shop on Clumber Street in Nottingham (fellow Nottingham student here, respek blud :cool: ), they seem to be well-stocked on the henna front.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.