Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strippers Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the profession of female stripping degrading to women, or empowering to women?
    Degrading
    70.67%
    Empowering
    29.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Must feel very degrading... I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise to be honest.
    Easy, you get boobs out, guy pays you lots of money. I can imagine some people would take it as a complement because how many people can say that they are so hot that people will pay them good money to simply see them naked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Seems like quite a strange thing to say, doesn't it!

Of course, if a woman wanted to use her body to make money, that's fine fair enough. The women I feel sorry for are the ones who have to display their half-naked bodies every night because they have no other way of making money. I imagine there are a fair few strippers who feel degraded but can't really get a better job.

I'd just get the impression that most of them really don't want to be there...
    Everyone has to utilise their body to make a living - miners, labourers, shelf stackers - why is stripping seen as more degrading?! Particualrly when it's well paid, and well secured.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a pretty grim career choice to me, but if people want to go down that route and dress it up as 'empowering' as a way of silencing their morals then its fine by me. At the end of the day, jobs are money in exchange for something, be it brain power, braun, beauty etc, its just another one on the list.

ReputationRep:
    How should I know how to answer? I'm not a female stripper. I hate it when people try and make judgements like this for other people. It's completely down to the individual whether it's empowering or degrading. It isn't one or the other, some will find it empowering, some will find it degrading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    A girl on my course dances two nights a week and makes £800 on a good week.

Frankly, if I was female and good looking I'd probably do it too :rolleyes:
    £800?? Nice. God I wish I could dance haha
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It is a job which pays well, providing you are doing it for the right reasons and not to just fit in to the stereotypical stripper role - dancing to get money to score crack, etc.

I personally know a girl who danced a few nights a week during her third year and pretty much wiped out her student debt by doing it. Fair play to her.

ReputationRep:
    I said its empowering.

Simply because I think being able to make money just by taking your clothes off is a form of power. I couldn't do that and many other neither. I appreciate that men that go to strip clubs probably treat strippers in a degrading manner, but for the women they know its just a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    A friend of my mums is an "exotic dancer", she is a lovely, well paid yet intelligent person. It is a job, a well paid job.

also lets have a thought for the men, its pretty degrading to them when the stripper is butters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmegmaProblem)

also lets have a thought for the men, its pretty degrading to them when the stripper is butters.
    Haha. True.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Errr.....what about the conditions a miner has to put up with, or a soldier risking limb on the frontline, or a teacher having to control 30 kids, a fireman risking their life...what a stripper has to do seems minor in comparison, and she gets good bucks.
    Don't you think it might feel a tad soul crushing, having a job where you have to perform for guys who see you just as a sex object? I think especially if you're intelligent its quite degrading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Yes, because letting your sister having a life of her own is worse than having murderous pirates off the coast of your country, taking people hostage for money.

:rolleyes:

I would NOT be happy with my sister/daughter/etc becoming a stripper. Then again, I also have to consider that if she makes the decision, who am I to stop her? Western culture prides itself on its individualism. We are free to make our own decisions. I'm sure nobody wants their daughter or sister stripping, but we are not masters of other people's lives.
    I would be a murderous fellow too if foreign corporations were dumping toxic waste on my land and killing my countrymen. Your rights end where mine start. Or is self-determination and individualism only for Western fish?

Somali fish have rights too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Don't you think it might feel a tad soul crushing, having a job where you have to perform for guys who see you just as a sex object? I think especially if you're intelligent its quite degrading.
    Being intelligent doesn't mean you have to be seen as intelligent in every aspect of your life. Everyone's multidimentional but you can't posibly put foward every aspect of yourself all the time. Sometimes you can simply just be sexual, sometimes you can just put foward the intellectual part of yourself and supress the sexual side.

I think most jobs are pretty degrading if you think about it. I would much rather be a stripper then work in my last job, but alas you need a lot of confidence, an amazing body and be able to dance. To be fair it hardly seems an easy job.

I think it all comes down to how you see sex, lots of men seem to dislike it when women act like they enjoy sex and sexuality - I really hate that attitude. It's funny no one talks about male strippers...

ReputationRep:
    Need to add a neither option to the poll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Encourages people to view women as sex objects for entertainment.
    You're assuming that all strippers are women and/or that only women can be strippers. That's simply not true.

Men can be strippers as well - and they do exist.

(Original post by SomaliMan)
    thats why God made HIV.
    Prove that your god exists.

ReputationRep:
    Take a chill pill/.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could be a stripper ! I wouldn't mind getting paid to dance around.

Yes its a bit degrading but then so are most low paid jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that prostitution will be legalised soon in Uk?

Now that will take womens empowerment to a totally new level.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4ttari)
    I heard that prostitution will be legalised soon in Uk?

Now that will take womens empowerment to a totally new level.:rolleyes:
    It is legal already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    It is legal already.
    Technicality. Prostitution as it is accepted in public life (brothels/street walkers/etc.) is not legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Technicality. Prostitution as it is accepted in public life (brothels/street walkers/etc.) is not legal.
    Prostitution itself IS legal, certain activities are not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.