Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

u4m1r: Smolov Jr. Bench Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    whats ucl gym like? Can you payg and where is it?
    It's £3.50 payg iirc. It's on Gordon Square behind UCL, near ULU.

The gym itself is alright but kinda small gets quite crowded (having to wait 10 minutes for a barbell/squat rack to free up, we only have 4 barbells and two racks) on a afternoon/evening during term time. Mornings (sunday morning) it's like having the whole thing to yourself.

I think it's closed for a fortnight for christmas (until the term restarts), but if it was open it'd be like a ghost-town.

ReputationRep:
    Day7: Friday 24/12/2010

Bench

50kg x 5
    90kg x 4

110kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    110kg x 4

Nice.

SLDL

Worked up to 150kg x 3

Other stuff, can't remember.

I get a much needed 2 day break now!

ReputationRep:
    Nice benching, how are you gonna deal with shoulder injuries and generally over benching... e.g. muscle imbalances and shiz like that.

ReputationRep:
    Nice benching, how are you gonna deal with shoulder injuries and generally over benching... e.g. muscle imbalances and shiz like that.
    My shoulders do feel a little strained but its not that bad, I do some light rows, rear delt stuff before and after. Triceps feel normal tbh, not sore or anything.The hardest thing is benching through DOMS though.

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't already, I'd consider doing shoulder dislocates, light flies and facepulls to help ensure shoulder health. You've got thick arse joints so you'll be better placed than most to finish Smolov JR without any problems but things like that are on a lot of the Russian bench routines I've seen for good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    My shoulders do feel a little strained but its not that bad, I do some light rows, rear delt stuff before and after. Triceps feel normal tbh, not sore or anything.The hardest thing is benching through DOMS though.
    just interested, what time of day do you work out exactly? 10pm? is the gym 24 hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    just interested, what time of day do you work out exactly? 10pm? is the gym 24 hours?
    Different times really. Gym is 24 hours so thats convenient. Mostly between 5-8 sometimes like 9-10pm. Never before 4 (too lazy to get up that early)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Different times really. Gym is 24 hours so thats convenient. Mostly between 5-8 sometimes like 9-10pm. Never before 4 (too lazy to get up that early)
    fair enough man, i'v never heard of a 24hr gym before.
    how come you've gone for smolov's bench programme when your bench is pretty strong already? i mean wouldn't the squat programme have been more useful?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you just want to pump up your ego/you just enjoy retarded ****. Life is about more than balanced development/'what is good for you,' especially when it comes to hobbies. None of us are making a living out of this so you might as well enjoy it...right? :P

ReputationRep:
    ^Couldn't have put it better than The Blind Monk

Didn't train today, not fully recovered from illness. Hopefully tommorow.

ReputationRep:
    Day 7: Tuesday 28/12/2010

Bench

Bar x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 2 - Was still not fully recovered and even 100 seemed like over 9000

117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3

First set was probably the hardest really, got better as the sets progressed!

Met a physio in the gym, and he said I'm flexible enough but need to stop rounding my lower back during squats and deads.

Hamstring/glute stretches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Day 7: Tuesday 28/12/2010

Bench

Bar x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 2 - Was still not fully recovered and even 100 seemed like over 9000

117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3

First set was probably the hardest really, got better as the sets progressed!

Met a physio in the gym, and he said I'm flexible enough but need to stop rounding my lower back during squats and deads.

Hamstring/glute stretches?
    GHRs are pretty good, although not technically a stretch.

ReputationRep:
    How's the intensity/volume affecting you? I want to do this too but want to max out on squat during the same workout... is that silly?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't train for like 5 days due to new years and some family emergency.

Went yesterday, 02/01/2011

Bench

Warm up (cant remember)

100kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6
    100kg x 6

Deadlift

Worked up to 185kg x 3

3 days of Smolov left, then a week of testing maxes. After that I'm jumping onto 5/3/1 and plan to run it for a good 2 years without stalling hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    How's the intensity/volume affecting you? I want to do this too but want to max out on squat during the same workout... is that silly?
    I still deadlift and squat heavy. It's only bench really, doesn't have the same effect as squats and deadlifts.

ReputationRep:
    03/01/2011

Bench

40kg x 5
    80kg x 5

107.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5

Form really went down the drain on the last two sets.

2 more days of smolov left.

Squat

Bar x many
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    130kg x 2
    150kg x 1
    160kg x fail

Was trying to maintain good form, mainly trying to not round my lower back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)

160kg x fail

Was trying to maintain good form, mainly trying to not round my lower back.
    when you squat do you use a spotter? if so what kind of grip do they take? and how did you "fail" the squat? did you just lower the bar all the way to the pins or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    when you squat do you use a spotter? if so what kind of grip do they take? and how did you "fail" the squat? did you just lower the bar all the way to the pins or something?
    I set the pins at the right height and just dump it when i fail.

ReputationRep:
    06/01/2011

Bench

Bar x 8
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 5

112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4
    112.5kg x 4

Very hard.

Lots of other random stuff. Wanted to do some SLDL's but there were no free bars, so did leg curls instead.

ReputationRep:
    This is my workout plan from today onwards,

Today - Finish off Smolov Jr. bench, 120kg for 10 triples

Next week
    Monday - Test deadlift max, I feel like I've lost strength on deadlift so just going to attempt 230kg again and see if I can still do it.
    Wednesday - Test squat max, hopefully 170kg or atleast 165kg. After a lot of experimenting, I've found the style which suits me best; slightly wider than shoulder width stance and low bar position.
    Friday - Test bench max, work up to 145kg anything over that is a bonus.
    Saturday - OHP, attempt 100kg.

After that I'm starting 5/3/1. I'm going to try not to do any more reading on other programs because then I start doubting 5/3/1 and get confused about what I should do next.

Days will look like this,

Monday - Squat
    Wednesday - Bench
    Friday - Deadlift
    Saturday - OHP

Not sure which assistance I'm going to do next but I'm leaning towards the Triumvirate. Boring but Big looks too... boring lol. I'll decide next week.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.