Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone else's brother/sibling like this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    It's a pretty strange one, seeing as he's already had his independence at Uni. I wouldn't be able to hack it at home that long tbh. What does he actually do all day though?
    That's just it he didn't want and didn't have that much independence he just about managed to cook or buy takeaways. He was home every couple of weeks with a pile of washing. I know what you mean i had difficulty at home with the loss of my independence hence my haste to move out, but he is just not like that. I swear he thinks he's got it good, free meals, free bed. He doesn't actually do anything. I have ADD, i can't sit and do nothing, i have to have lots of things to do to keep me occupied but he will often sleep til lunchtime, watch a bit of tv, stick on dvd or go on facebook, and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    That's just it he didn't want and didn't have that much independence he just about managed to cook or buy takeaways. He was home every couple of weeks with a pile of washing. I know what you mean i had difficulty at home with the loss of my independence hence my haste to move out, but he is just not like that. I swear he thinks he's got it good, free meals, free bed. He doesn't actually do anything. I have ADD, i can't sit and do nothing, i have to have lots of things to do to keep me occupied but he will often sleep til lunchtime, watch a bit of tv, stick on dvd or go on facebook, and that's it.
    He definately has 'LAD' syndrome. What a LEGEND!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yeah i sometimes think he feels the pressure of needing to be good at something maths/business/science related which he may not have a passion for hence why he's not motivated at all.... he's got so many skills though and he's so intelligent, he could apply this all to something else - i know he's always been a natural in english/writing. it's just a shame that he thinks if it's not a science or maths subject, he won't get anywhere in life.

he won't get anywhere at this rate anyway, wish he'd just see that.
    Then tell him that! My brother and I sat down last year whilst he was panicking about GCSEs and had a chat. He felt quite pressured to go to university, but we had a talk about college and how it can be better for certain jobs and so on, and what we thought were his best subjects and so on, and then afterwards I had a word with mum and dad and encouraged him a lot, and now he's doing his A Levels and is really enjoying them. He still has a tendency to be a bit lazy, but I think now that he's realised that he isn't the thick younger kid and can hold his own against me in quite a lot of subject he feels much better about everything.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like my brother, except he's 13.
    My other 2 brothers aren't like him at all, neither am I.

ReputationRep:
    You the most concerning in all this is the OP has mentioned that her brother is suicidal and she's worried about him getting an essay in on time. And you wonder why i came on a bit pissy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds almost exactly like my older bro OP! It gets annoying... frustrating even for me, you just want the person to just get up, go out and do something with themselves, doesn't even have to mean go and look for a job everyday. Just go out, go for a walk, go to the cinema, go ice skating, whatever just enjoy the outside world...

You can get so complacent and stuck in your own bubble of comfortability, surrounded by your entertainment, TV shows, anime, video games, social networking that it's like you don't feel like you need anything else. When it gets to that point I think it's a bad sad, the person feels they don't need anyone and can get increasingly withdrawn and anti-social

Try and get him out more, but yeah losing motivation as an adult can be devastating to life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    You the most concerning in all this is the OP has mentioned that her brother is suicidal and she's worried about him getting an essay in on time. And you wonder why i came on a bit pissy :rolleyes:
    Seems to me like she's just generally worried for him? :dontknow:

OP I think my sister went through a phase like this when she was a lot younger with school - she hadn't found what she was good at yet and I think it got her down. Eventually something clicked though - but she was only 17 or so when it did so maybe it's not quite the same.

Maybe it's just a case of trying to get through to him that he can do whatever he's good at and not what he feels might be the best path?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.