Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    :facepalm2: Thus the Religion of Dawkinism sweeps through the forum once more, striking blasphemers and heretics from its path so that the righteous Atheists, the Chosen ones of their Prophet Dawkins, shall be saved and led to their Promised Land of No Religions Allowed.
    Well, at least followers of Dawkinism don't burn embassies, make death threats, create nonsensical words like 'atheismophobia', pass resolutions at the UN and et cetera to silence critics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    some of the smartest people have followed religion or at least believed in some sort of force.
    That's certainly true; however, the evidence is that a randomly picked atheist is likely to be more intelligent and better educated than a randomly chosen theist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I didn't say it shouldn't be scrutinised at all. Many people find it to be the key to a happy and fulfilling life though, so it easily stands up to any scrutiny you can throw at it. As long as there is never any evidence to the contrary, it would always be difficult to remove someone's faith if they wanted it. I went through a lengthy period of scrutinising my beliefs, firstly deciding whether or not I believed (indeed I didn't want to believe for a while, because belief is sometimes heavy to bare), and then deciding which religion my belief should guide me to. For me my belief stems largely from experience, I feel God's presence and when I look at a sunset or a wonderful view I cannot fathom what evolutionary or biological reason I could have for enjoying it. Furthermore if I die tomorrow and it turns out there is nothing I won't even know, so what do I have to lose? Especially if it has changed my behaviour for the better.
    Or it could transpire that God is a different God to the one you believe in, and has been very displeased that you've been worshipping this other God the whole time and sends you straight to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    Or it could transpire that God is a different God to the one you believe in, and has been very displeased that you've been worshipping this other God the whole time and sends you straight to hell.
    This.

Also, it's just as likely to be a God who sends atheists to heaven and theists to hell. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    This.

Also, it's just as likely to be a God who sends atheists to heaven and theists to hell. *shrugs*
    Exactly.

There might be a 'god', but there's no way to tell what this being 'likes' or 'dislikes'.

And, FFS, who's to say there is a 'heaven' or a 'hell'. That's just an additional invention of certain religions. Even if there is a 'god'. that doesn't mean that there also has to be a 'heaven' and 'hell'.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: Thus the Religion of Dawkinism sweeps through the forum once more, striking blasphemers and heretics from its path so that the righteous Atheists, the Chosen ones of their Prophet Dawkins, shall be saved and led to their Promised Land of No Religions Allowed.

Please, your post is pathetically written, OP. Get some decent arguments. Look at the other threads that have been posted on this topic and get your head out of Dawkins ass. Maybe then I'll deign to debate with you properly.
    hurrhurrhurr I see what you did there you made out like all atheists worship Dawkins hurrhurrhurr :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The fact that shops are only opened for limited hours on Sundays is beneficial to us all. A maintained and upheld day off means we aren't all slaves. Why should someone be pushed into working on a Sunday because you can't remember to stock up on a Saturday, or failing that get up before 4?
    As has already been mentioned, there are many people who would bite your hand off for a Sunday job students being one such group of people. Also since when does working on a Sunday make you a slave? It's not even a day off anyway, since people still have to go into work albeit for less hours.

The point is, the reasons for this law are mostly grounded in religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghim)
    Exactly.

There might be a 'god', but there's no way to tell what this being 'likes' or 'dislikes'.

And, FFS, who's to say there is a 'heaven' or a 'hell'. That's just an additional invention of certain religions. Even if there is a 'god'. that doesn't mean that there also has to be a 'heaven' and 'hell'.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giga_grif)
    Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally? I am a strong atheist, and I just find people who follow a set of "rules" of a religion ignorant beyond belief. I am a logical person, and therefore I like to believe something based on EVIDENCE. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs. People with religious beliefs have no evidence, and follow ONE book, which supposedly sets out gods will. There are books about unicorns and vampires, and the only argument religious people present to me is "You cant disprove god". You can't disprove vampires and unicorns, and indeed there is a vast amount of "evidence" in books to suggest their existence. This argument is an insult to anyone with an IQ above 40. When you have a debate with a religious person they also say that only a "higher being" could have made the universe, and say that something must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately someone must have created a "higher being" who then created the universe, and ultimately the creation of the universe is a question which science is alot closer to answering than religion which is in my opinion a cop out way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on religion on here really, having read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins its an area which I would like to discuss.
    Agreed, and Cool story bro!

ReputationRep:
    Well if it really was why, don't you ever think, are you wasting your time on mentioning it? As I said...if it really was FOS.........you wouldn't be.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally?

Im not SCARED, because my religion teaches me to go for the truth, respect and honesty so I dont know what your talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it shouldn't be scrutinised at all. Many people find it to be the key to a happy and fulfilling life though, so it easily stands up to any scrutiny you can throw at it. As long as there is never any evidence to the contrary, it would always be difficult to remove someone's faith if they wanted it. I went through a lengthy period of scrutinising my beliefs, firstly deciding whether or not I believed (indeed I didn't want to believe for a while, because belief is sometimes heavy to bare), and then deciding which religion my belief should guide me to. For me my belief stems largely from experience, I feel God's presence and when I look at a sunset or a wonderful view I cannot fathom what evolutionary or biological reason I could have for enjoying it. Furthermore if I die tomorrow and it turns out there is nothing I won't even know, so what do I have to lose? Especially if it has changed my behaviour for the better.
    Ignorance is a dish best served cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    my religion teaches me to go for the truth, respect and honesty so I dont know what your talking about.
    What 'truth'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Well if it really was why, don't you ever think, are you wasting your time on mentioning it?
    So, if someone sayings, 'Nazism is a load of crap', that must mean that Nazism is not a load of crap - otherwise, why would they waste their time mentioning it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghim)
    What 'truth'?
    Oh, here we go again.
    -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    Oh, here we go again.
    -_-
    What a pathetic response. Typical.

ReputationRep:
    People like you give atheists a bad rap.

I'm a strong atheist as well, but I don't go around harassing people who are religious. I respect everyone's beliefs; they can believe whatever they want to believe.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hilarious how athiests feel that they are "logical" beings that are able to reason, yet they fail to recognise that they were created. What kind of a "rational" thinker would dismiss the fact they came from a creator and that they have been put on this earth for a reason.

Seriously wake up. When your time is up, you'll realise it for sure, but for the time being stop with your " I am an intelligent person for not believing in GOD attitude" and fix up.

There is a GOD. There has always been a GOD and there will always be a GOD. Whether you accept it or not is to your own detriment.

Peace out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    hurrhurrhurr I see what you did there you made out like all atheists worship Dawkins hurrhurrhurr :rolleyes:
    Not every Atheist, no. There are many who aren't influenced by his extreme branch of Atheism, but it is gaining popularity and he is being treated almost like some form of Atheist Prophet.

For all Atheists want to hide behind semantics, the act of disbelieving in the existence of something is the exact same as believing in its non-existence. Atheists believe God or the Gods don't exist. Atheism is just a belief system like any other. In fact, much like Paganism, it has no central control and has a multitude of beliefs associated with it. So, you have Dawkinites who are rather extreme in their views and hold that teaching child religion is child abuse and kids should be removed from religious parents. As one example. Then you have others, as we've seen on this thread already, who are quite content to let religious people get on with it as long as no one is being taught to hate anyone else. Much like you have Christians and Christian extremists, Pagans and Pagan extremists, Muslims and Muslim extremists, ad infinitum.

(Original post by Ghim)
    Well, at least followers of Dawkinism don't burn embassies, make death threats, create nonsensical words like 'atheismophobia', pass resolutions at the UN and et cetera to silence critics.
    No, Dawkins just goes around insulting religions, when he doesn't even know anything about religion aside from some basic facts about Christianity, and then gets pissed off when the Pope retaliates and then Dawkins has the gall to say the Pope through the first stone. They also support the removal of children from religious parents whose only fault is to be religious; fail to research their subject properly (despite being "scientists"); fail to remain objective; make crass comments based on stereotypes and what have you.

Atheists have also been known to commit atrocities in the name of Atheism.

This tit-for-tat argument that always happens in these threads is childish and stupid. No side is better than the other; both sides have more in common than they'd like to admit; and ultimately, it's not really that important. What I would say is that Atheists really need to learn to separate Religion from Religious followers; the two are not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    For all Atheists want to hide behind semantics, the act of disbelieving in the existence of something is the exact same as believing in its non-existence. Atheists believe God or the Gods don't exist. Atheism is just a belief system like any other.
    False.

Think of it in terms of unicorns.

I do not believe in unicorns. I have no evidence for the existence in unicorns, therefore, I do not believe that they exist.
    I also have no evidence that unicorns do not exist. Therefore, I do not believe that unicorns do not exist.
    Due to the lack of evidence, then, unicorns are very unlikely to exist, and I do not believe that they exist or that they do not exist.

Same with God. I do not believe that God(s) exist. It is very unlikely that God(s) exist. But I do not believe in God(s) non-existence either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.