Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tripled fees: so how many of you are going to go and study abroad instead? Watch

How did you come up with the £2000-4000 fees, most EU universities charge no fees and if they do is around 600 to 1000 euros and most students get this waived as well. Unless of course you were looking into private universities (colleges).

ReputationRep:
      cuold we talk per msn or skype? i am gonna study there this summer! [email protected] is mine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jb9191)
      Its easier to just study in the UK and then disappear.

Take that very good British education and then run off to another country where a British education is highly respected (most countries) and get a job.

You may even be lucky enough to get a job good enough to give you a luxury life in that country but then due to the exchange rate mean you will still be under the threshold to pay back, as someone else has pointed out with China as an example.

Bulgaria is another perfect example to be honest. You can get a good job on say 32,000 leva per year which is more than enough for a good life whilst you still won't pay back as

32,000.00 BGN = 13,899.48 GBP

32,000/ 12 = 2 666 lev per month - which is very good to live on as a beer only costs about 45p out of the major cities. The cost of living is cheap enough in the cities to be fair.

Average monthly salaries in Bulgaria are in the 150-200 Euro range. On 2666 Bulgarian Lev you'd be on roughly 1,363 Euro - almost 7 times as much based on a 200 Euro Average.

Bulgaria is also massively being invested into and a lot of European money is being pumped into the countries economy. It is a mafia run state but they do not bother normal citizens and only engage in criminal activities with each other to try and control drug exporting/importing businesses. You'll see them in the major cities but they never bother you in the slightest and if there is a problem then they often deal with them better than the police.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-...-bulgaria.html

Girls in Bulgaria walk home from work at 3-6am in the morning without a problem whereas over here they would be in fear of getting raped or get shouted at by a bunch of foul mouthed yobs with slurs such as ' coming to mine love for a s**g? '.

The majority of Bulgarian jobs are still agricultural and services are the lowest percentage of the jobs taken. So for graduates who's jobs involve providing a service then its really a good place to go as you will not have a lot of competition, especially compared to in the UK where everyone is offering a service.

Its far better to take the UK education and then move abroad.
      Taking the Purchasing Power Parities from Eurostat, each unit of currency is worth 1.913 what it would be here, in terms of cost of living.

Thus, your job on 32K lev is worth, in real terms after adjusting for cost of living, £26,596.29, just over the UK mean wage. Add into that cultural differences, language barrier and so forth and I'm really not sure you're doing much better than the bloke who moved to Bulgaria.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by simontinsley)
      Taking the Purchasing Power Parities from Eurostat, each unit of currency is worth 1.913 what it would be here, in terms of cost of living.

Thus, your job on 32K lev is worth, in real terms after adjusting for cost of living, £26,596.29, just over the UK mean wage. Add into that cultural differences, language barrier and so forth and I'm really not sure you're doing much better than the bloke who moved to Bulgaria.
      The cost of living is much cheaper in Bulgaria though.

You can buy 6 beers for roughly £2 when you'd pay more than that for 1 beer in the UK.

Everything else in Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of necessities. The only thing on par with prices in the UK are electricals and high end furniture. Plus I'd have the majority of electricals I need before hand as I'll just take the laptop and phone I had at university across.

Then the tax is lower so you get to keep more of your salary. Electricity is lower and water rates are about 6-10 leva per month - roughly £3-5 << shocking I know considering what we pay.

32,000 leva per year is roughly £15,000 which is a very good wage to be taking home.

32,000 leva is 2666 leva per month over 12 months. You could live a massively comfortable life in Bulgaria on that.

Here, say you earn £300 per week and you went for a meal with your wife which cost £40 then that is 7.5% of you income spent on that one occasion.

In Bulgaria you earn 2666 leva and a meal costs for 2 roughly 30 leva including drinks (£15) then that is a significantly smaller percentage of you income being spent meaning you are more likely to be able to go out more and enjoy yourself.

Then the latest Eurostat figures show that school children are better educated meaning your future children will have a chance to get a better education.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=123827
      http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?rid...286f17ab326d15

I think this is more than likely due to school children starting school later and finishing around 6-7:30pm. They also learn Bulgarian and English in the schools in Varna, Sofia & Bourgas.

The cost of a mortgage is likely to be lower yet property prices (although currently at a dip now) are likely to boom in the next decade when Bulgaria is forced to clean up its act politically and it will then use more of its EU funds to boost the economy.

The only bad thing realistically at the moment is the condition of many roads. However, I'd take bad roads anyday over streets crowded with chavs and chavettes mugging old aged pensioners for their next fix.

Even then driving is still more enjoyable as the majority of roads (outside major cities) are clear and there is no major traffic jams whatsoever. Here though there is constant jams and the government in conjunction with the police force will stop at nothing to take cash from you.

The language is also quite easy to learn, much easier than English to be fair as Bulgarian is phonetic so the letters always sound in a word the same.

Whereas in the English language you have 'Slough' as in the place, and 'Clough' as in Brian Clough spelt with the same ending yet pronounced differently. This happens a lot in the English language. For us already speaking English its very easy but for new learners things like this are hard. Anyway, I don't see any harm in learning a new language and in this case Bulgarian is very similar to Russian, which has a very good economy so you are not limited in what you are doing and who knows? you may eventually get into a massively European sized business and your extra language could come in very useful. It could also land you a dream job.

Then you have the climate. Bulgaria's climate really does put the UK's to shame to be fair. You get your extremely hot summer and your snowy winter, although its still not cold during winter to be fair, not as cold as it is here. Its also true that you can go to the west of Bulgaria in the summer skiing and then come right back to the east and sit on a beach tanning yourself. That's something else the country offers.

Personally, I would say that the majority of EU countries are a far better place to live than the UK. This is why I can understand that many EU students come over here, take the UK University education and then go back home. I wouldn't stay here either unless I needed to earn a lot of money here and then send it back home so that my family got much more due to the exchange rate.

The UK is getting worse year by year and the standards of the EU countries are going up.

Even if you go to a city like Varna or Sofia you do not see the level of crime you see in Manchester, Liverpool or London. I think this is due to the majority of their youngsters having more respect for what they have.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jb9191)
      The cost of living is much cheaper in Bulgaria though.

You can buy 6 beers for roughly £2 when you'd pay more than that for 1 beer in the UK.

Everything else in Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of necessities. The only thing on par with prices in the UK are electricals and high end furniture. Plus I'd have the majority of electricals I need before hand as I'll just take the laptop and phone I had at university across.
      And see the third bit on cost of living again.

Then the tax is lower so you get to keep more of your salary. Electricity is lower and water rates are about 6-10 leva per month - roughly £3-5 << shocking I know considering what we pay.
      For electricity, water etc. see below. On tax:

To earn 32,000 leva as a take home, you'd need to earn 41558.44 leva (10% income tax + 13% social security contributions, flat rate, no personal allowance).

The equivalent take home pay, after adjusting for price level is £26,596.29 - for which £35756.65 would be needed. (Source). Of course, this will drop with the increasing personal allowance over the next few years - but, at current levels, for the same take home pay you'd need the equivalent of 43481.25 lev, which I'll grant you is slightly more than in Bulgaria.

32,000 leva per year is roughly £15,000 which is a very good wage to be taking home.

32,000 leva is 2666 leva per month over 12 months. You could live a massively comfortable life in Bulgaria on that.

Here, say you earn £300 per week and you went for a meal with your wife which cost £40 then that is 7.5% of you income spent on that one occasion.

In Bulgaria you earn 2666 leva and a meal costs for 2 roughly 30 leva including drinks (£15) then that is a significantly smaller percentage of you income being spent meaning you are more likely to be able to go out more and enjoy yourself.
      You're using anecdotal evidence, I have the aggregate consumer prices for what people actually spend from Eurostat, and I'll trust that because it's far more useful than comparing a couple of items - especially ones that are highly taxed here (alcohol) that aren't there as representative of the price level.

Prices in the UK are roughly 1.91x what they are in Bulgaria, after currency conversion.

Then the latest Eurostat figures show that school children are better educated meaning your future children will have a chance to get a better education.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=123827
      http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?rid...286f17ab326d15
      That is not a comment on the quality of education.

"The figures show the proportion of the population in each country aged between 20 and 24 who are not in education or training and who have only the bare minimum of secondary school education."

It does not specify how good education is at secondary level, how useful a secondary school education is in the country, and so forth.

I think this is more than likely due to school children starting school later and finishing around 6-7:30pm. They also learn Bulgarian and English in the schools in Varna, Sofia & Bourgas.
      The advent of free schools in the UK will do much to improve education as it allows people actually involved in education the freedom to make choices about how education is best administered. If it better than children start later and finish later then more schools will do it over here with the new found freedom, and so forth.

Likewise, my hypothetical children would learn English from me at home, and learning Bulgarian is only a priority if I'm in Bulgaria, so that's not a big selling point for me either.

The cost of a mortgage is likely to be lower yet property prices (although currently at a dip now) are likely to boom in the next decade when Bulgaria is forced to clean up its act politically and it will then use more of its EU funds to boost the economy.
      In all honesty I see little value in buying a house when I'm young. I think there's a lot of value, both in terms of employability and in terms of living life to the full in being footloose.

The only bad thing realistically at the moment is the condition of many roads. However, I'd take bad roads anyday over streets crowded with chavs and chavettes mugging old aged pensioners for their next fix.

Even then driving is still more enjoyable as the majority of roads (outside major cities) are clear and there is no major traffic jams whatsoever. Here though there is constant jams and the government in conjunction with the police force will stop at nothing to take cash from you.
      The need for a car here is overstated, especially if you live in an urban area. The train and bus system works remarkably and is fairly cheap. Driving isn't that much of a pain (I live in the most congested bit, SE England), and roads are comparatively safe.

Meanwhile, the number of fatalities & serious accidents on Bulgarian roads is high. I'd take some traffic over an accident everyday.

The language is also quite easy to learn, much easier than English to be fair as Bulgarian is phonetic so the letters always sound in a word the same.

Whereas in the English language you have 'Slough' as in the place, and 'Clough' as in Brian Clough spelt with the same ending yet pronounced differently. This happens a lot in the English language. For us already speaking English its very easy but for new learners things like this are hard. Anyway, I don't see any harm in learning a new language and in this case Bulgarian is very similar to Russian, which has a very good economy so you are not limited in what you are doing and who knows? you may eventually get into a massively European sized business and your extra language could come in very useful. It could also land you a dream job.
      You miss a crucial point, I speak English, I don't speak Bulgarian. Therefore, for me to speak English is far, far easier than for me to speak Bulgarian. I'm aware of pronunciation rules holding constant, it happens in Spanish and Italian too.

If I were to learn an extra language for business purposes, rather than for pleasure, it would be Mandrin or Arabic, since they are the most different to what I know now and it would be worthwhile learning. I reckon I could pick up Portugese since I have a decent grounding in Spanish, which would cover most of Latin America - then most of Western Europe I could get by in and pick up if immersed, and of course the English speaking world, which includes much of Africa, Australia, the US and most of the business currently done internationally. Learning Bulgarian isn't high on my priority list for business purposes. I'd only ever learn it if I particularly wanted to, but it's a barrier to moving still.

Then you have the climate. Bulgaria's climate really does put the UK's to shame to be fair. You get your extremely hot summer and your snowy winter, although its still not cold during winter to be fair, not as cold as it is here. Its also true that you can go to the west of Bulgaria in the summer skiing and then come right back to the east and sit on a beach tanning yourself. That's something else the country offers.
      So winter is warmer but more snowy, right? Of course. I despise snow, and don't particularly like extreme heat either. The South of England in terms of a temperature range is pretty much nigh-on perfect, with mild winters and relatively warm summers. Rainfall is fairly low, the only downside is that sunshine hours are fairly low too. Easily solved by a quick winter break for a week on a fairly cheap package holiday to somewhere like Egypt or Morocco.

Personally, I would say that the majority of EU countries are a far better place to live than the UK. This is why I can understand that many EU students come over here, take the UK University education and then go back home. I wouldn't stay here either unless I needed to earn a lot of money here and then send it back home so that my family got much more due to the exchange rate.

The UK is getting worse year by year and the standards of the EU countries are going up.
      The UK is getting worse year by year? Is it? News to me. The standards of the Eastern bloc are improving since the advent of a market system, yes, but that's only to be expected since they were so low under communism.

Even if you go to a city like Varna or Sofia you do not see the level of crime you see in Manchester, Liverpool or London. I think this is due to the majority of their youngsters having more respect for what they have.
      Something perhaps you are guilty of not doing, you seem to underestimate what the UK has to offer. I'm not saying Bulgaria's a ****ehole in particular, but you seem to be doing the UK down and overstating the difference in cost of living.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by simontinsley)
      And see the third bit on cost of living again.

For electricity, water etc. see below. On tax:

Its much cheaper. My parents have a house there, we have friends from England there and I have visited on several occasions. I know the facts having been in both countries. This country is far more expensive and we get ripped off left, right and centre on everything.

To earn 32,000 leva as a take home, you'd need to earn 41558.44 leva (10% income tax + 13% social security contributions, flat rate, no personal allowance).

I said 32000 leva after tax - no one mentioned deductions or anything. The simple fact is that its still lower than in the UK where if you earn so much you get supertaxed. A reason why so many top star footballers including Cristiano Ronaldo have left the UK and gone to Spain where its not as harsh. Another reason why players like Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure demand over £150,000 per week in wages because they know that 50% of it is going to get taken from then automatically. Tax is way higher in the UK and in Bulgaria you get to keep more of your wages. The cost of living is cheaper in Bulgaria so obviously therefore your money goes further. I know this because of my parents plans and English friends in Bulgaria who have invested into property.

The equivalent take home pay, after adjusting for price level is £26,596.29 - for which £35756.65 would be needed. (Source). Of course, this will drop with the increasing personal allowance over the next few years - but, at current levels, for the same take home pay you'd need the equivalent of 43481.25 lev, which I'll grant you is slightly more than in Bulgaria.

The fact is here in the UK, the more you earn the less you get back from the government in terms of perks and then you get rinsed on your electricity bill, water rates and heating and so on by the energy companies. Your money goes much further in Bulgaria. One of my friends got a job in Varna and had enough in 18 months saved to buy an apartment in Sunny Beach. He did the same again and bought another. He now lives comfortably off the income of both those properties because if he rents out two for one week for £300 each he then has £600 which is roughly 1200 leva, which is enough to live for a month. Most normal Bulgarians earn less than that. Even his job is not that good yet he has saved, used his head wisely and because he don't get extorted by the government he is able to save and generate a return, which is a lot harder to do here with the current state the property market is in and the state of the economy.

You're using anecdotal evidence, I have the aggregate consumer prices for what people actually spend from Eurostat, and I'll trust that because it's far more useful than comparing a couple of items - especially ones that are highly taxed here (alcohol) that aren't there as representative of the price level.

No its really not. I have life experience. You can throw as many stats as you want. I can live in Bulgaria for a week comfortably on £50 including bills. (roughly 120 leva). If you then move into the city you can live on a bit more as prices are higher.

Prices in the UK are roughly 1.91x what they are in Bulgaria, after currency conversion.

Exactly, that proves we are getting ripped off. In Bulgaria you get to keep more of your wage and spend less.

That is not a comment on the quality of education.

"The figures show the proportion of the population in each country aged between 20 and 24 who are not in education or training and who have only the bare minimum of secondary school education."

It does not specify how good education is at secondary level, how useful a secondary school education is in the country, and so forth.

Yes it is. Its been proven massively that the standards of primary and secondary education in this country are way below EU average. Its been in the public domain for weeks. You need to check out the BBC website a bit more to be fair. England has been lagging behind and Wales much further - I'll even admit that Wales where I'm from is far worse than England but both are far worse than the majority of the EU. This is now the reason for such radical reforms to the education system and why more money is being put into primary school and secondary school education by the budget and not university education which currently ranks highest in the EU.

The advent of free schools in the UK will do much to improve education as it allows people actually involved in education the freedom to make choices about how education is best administered. If it better than children start later and finish later then more schools will do it over here with the new found freedom, and so forth.

They may do in the future. There are a vast number of countries in the EU where they do it and all have out performed us in primary and secondary education. We are only top in university education and even that is dropping - a reason why fee's are going to be increased which will lead to more funding for the top universities as the increase far outweights the cut to the budget money put forward. Also, as the lower ranked universities will close or merge this saves more money on maintenance costs and annual expenses and more that can be spent on improving our education.

Likewise, my hypothetical children would learn English from me at home, and learning Bulgarian is only a priority if I'm in Bulgaria, so that's not a big selling point for me either.

No its really not. Learning Bulgarian would help you in Russian and any other language that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. You clearly did not read my post properly where I stated that Bulgarian is very useful in business. In fact, most languages are in todays world and very valued by most employees. The only one I can think of that is not that useful outside its homeland is Welsh.

In all honesty I see little value in buying a house when I'm young. I think there's a lot of value, both in terms of employability and in terms of living life to the full in being footloose.

You would achieve a lot more in starting as soon as possible. You really sound like someone with little aspirations

The need for a car here is overstated, especially if you live in an urban area. The train and bus system works remarkably and is fairly cheap. Driving isn't that much of a pain (I live in the most congested bit, SE England), and roads are comparatively safe.

It entirely depends on where you live. The public services in the UK are not always on time, are highly expensive compared to the rest of the EU and even America. If you live in a city centre or on a university campus then its fine but if you are running a business or need to get back and for to work which is at a distance then more often than not a car is needed. Plus we have the most congested roads in Europe so your argument that the roads are not that congested is void.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/uk-s...-europe/253848

Also the roads here are in far better condition yet our correlation between driving population and accidents is on par with countries that have severe potholes. The UK is also in the top 3 for drink drivers. Also Germany has higher speed limits than the UK and far less accidents.

Meanwhile, the number of fatalities & serious accidents on Bulgarian roads is high. I'd take some traffic over an accident everyday.

Yes the accidents level is high but there are a lot of pot holes now. Once funding is put forward EU money will sort all that out (its already happening in most places) and the accident rate will come down. Its not that much worse than the UK which is suprising considering the majority of our roads over here are near perfect.

You miss a crucial point, I speak English, I don't speak Bulgarian. Therefore, for me to speak English is far, far easier than for me to speak Bulgarian. I'm aware of pronunciation rules holding constant, it happens in Spanish and Italian too.

I said that for English people then its going to be easy so you evidentially missed a point, yet I did not. Maybe you should try reading that again and you'll grasp where I said for English people its going to be easy.

If I were to learn an extra language for business purposes, rather than for pleasure, it would be Mandrin or Arabic, since they are the most different to what I know now and it would be worthwhile learning. I reckon I could pick up Portugese since I have a decent grounding in Spanish, which would cover most of Latin America - then most of Western Europe I could get by in and pick up if immersed, and of course the English speaking world, which includes much of Africa, Australia, the US and most of the business currently done internationally. Learning Bulgarian isn't high on my priority list for business purposes. I'd only ever learn it if I particularly wanted to, but it's a barrier to moving still.

First of its Mandarin (Chinese Mandarin) and yes I agree that they would be worthwhile learning. However, learning Bulgarian is equally as beneficial. You basically learn Russian as well and Russia is used massively in Business throughout Europe and America. Its not a romance language, I'll give you that but business wise it's extremely valuable. No language should ever be a barrier to learning. If that's the attitude you have then that's quite sad to be honest. I'd move to any country to be honest and would try my hardest to learn their language. After all, Mandarin, English & Russian are the 3 most used languages in business.

So winter is warmer but more snowy, right? Of course. I despise snow, and don't particularly like extreme heat either. The South of England in terms of a temperature range is pretty much nigh-on perfect, with mild winters and relatively warm summers. Rainfall is fairly low, the only downside is that sunshine hours are fairly low too. Easily solved by a quick winter break for a week on a fairly cheap package holiday to somewhere like Egypt or Morocco.

You do know that snow plus warm temperatures is possible right? Some of the most icy and snow covered places on earth have hours of sunlight cast upon them. The weather over here is much colder due to winds coming in from the north Atlantic Ocean. Obviously the snow is cold as it would be here but just walking round is fine - I've worn t-shirts on many occasions in the winter over there yet here its much colder due to it being a lot more windy as we're on an island surrounded by sea.

The UK is getting worse year by year? Is it? News to me. The standards of the Eastern bloc are improving since the advent of a market system, yes, but that's only to be expected since they were so low under communism.

The UK is getting worse by year. Financial experts and quality of life experts have said so. The UK's government is also far more communist than any other country - tell me the last time we were allowed to decide publicly on a vote on certain issues or topics that have arisen? You can't. Yes we can vote a party in but in reality they are just as bad as each other and make up there own rules as they go along. We get to keep less of our earnings, face more crime than mafia run nations and are expected to pay over the odds for things much cheaper elsewhere in the world. EU countries are far more likely to grow and get better as well due to the EU funds that WE pay here and the government decide to give away. I find it kind of sad that London alone has far more murders per year than the whole of Bulgaria ( a Mafia run country ). A lot of people wrongly perceive Bulgaria & Russia for being criminal states when the reality is that they are not. The Mafia only bother each other and do not bother the normal people of the country. All they care about is the drugs trade and underworld affairs. Even the UK has Mafia run gangs within it so the UK throwing stones at other nations over such things is hypocritical to say the least. Its also proven that 96% of murders in Bulgaria and Russia are Mafia>Mafia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...me-league.html

And before you say its the Daily Mail, the evidence is clearly backed up by statistics - a reason why UK politicians have decided to comment on the issue.

Heres one study for you from one of the most reliable business sources in todays world that shows that Britain is falling

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...9&in_page_id=2

Something perhaps you are guilty of not doing, you seem to underestimate what the UK has to offer. I'm not saying Bulgaria's a ****ehole in particular, but you seem to be doing the UK down and overstating the difference in cost of living.
      Having travelled all over Europe and experienced each country personally I am not surmising and I am not coming up with some bull**** stories, I am clearly pointing out facts. The UK, as much as it hurts me to say as I was born here, has turned into a complete and utter **** hole in the majority of aspects. In my opinion there are only 2 countries in Europe that I deem worse than the UK - Turkey (people there are overly aggressive and invade your personal zone) and Serbia where crime is on par with the UK.

I don't like to brand the UK a **** hole but being a realist I have no other choice after experiencing the majority of other countries. Maybe one day this Island will once again become great, only time will tell and I really hope so.

Plus I wasn't overstating the cost of living - The cost of living can be the difference between an easy life and a happy life or a stressful life trying to make ends meet. The cost of living is very important and I'd rather live in a country where I have more money to save for a rainy day (when times get tough)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cutaneoplast™)
      Hey, I'm applying this year to Maastricht University too, and we have the same issue as to how to get maintenance loan/funding. The other option is to find a part-time student job and get a non-repayable grant from the dutch government, but I don't think I can manage to work whilst studying. Any news as to how we can fund our maintenance? Write back.
      I haven't found any way :/ Just a massive loan or out of your own pocket.

ReputationRep:
      I see. But are you still applying to Maastricht Uni, right? They will be helding an Bachelors Open Day on the 26th March 2011 - you thinking of going?
      There's no point applying/travelling there if I can't find the money to fund my studies (only got enough saved up for one year).

You going?

I also have other reservations about the course: for example, how respected it is (I don't think it's even definite I'll get an honours degree).

Ultimately, after having done research into it, I guess it's just not feasible.

ReputationRep:
      Possibly :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      Im thinking of applying to Maastricht aswell!
      I was put off a bit by being told that I wouldnt get a maintenance loan because its not in th UK. Im not really clued up on this kind of stuff but how much money would a loan for living expenses have to be?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HighestKungFu)
      Whilst this is a good idea, you have to take into account that UK/US degrees hold the biggest sway throughout the world, hence the strong flow of international students here.
      This is true if you come from Bolivia, Malaysia, Egypt, China or whatever and plan to use your degree back home. In these countries a degree from an English language school is highly valued... for fairly obvious reasons. It's not that the French, Germans and Italians don't have great universities, it's that they don't speak English.

If you're a Brit and have a degree from one of the universities OP is considering (that teach in English) that will surely stand out better than a degree from a British university, at least for all non-Russell group universities, and also for non-science subjects including Russell group unis.

If you have the gumption to do it... go for it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cor898)
      Im thinking of applying to Maastricht aswell!
      I was put off a bit by being told that I wouldnt get a maintenance loan because its not in th UK. Im not really clued up on this kind of stuff but how much money would a loan for living expenses have to be?
      You need about £9,000 a year or something (for pretty much everything). But I don't want to get a normal bank loan with loads of interest to cover that :/

ReputationRep:
      Hey, which programme are you interested in applying to at Maastricht Uni? I'm trying to apply for student jobs with part-time contract there online so by the time I get there, I'll have a job to hopefully cover my expenses plus the grant which the Dutch gov't gives if you work at least 32 hours per month. Hmmm I'm also trying to look into Career Development Loans (which are commercial bank loans but they pay the interest until you graduate from the programme).
      Sounds like you gone into a lot of detail with this
      I like the sound of European studies course. What were you thinking of doing?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.