Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls lack general knowledge? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    (a generalisation of course)

After talking to many people over the last few months, it has become very apparent that girls have almost zero general knowledge. They can tell you what is going on in their course or the X factor, but ask them where Germany is or what WW2 was about and they have no idea. I was reminded of this when a girl on TSR who was 20 had no idea what 9/11 was all about, even though it will be one of the most important historical events during her life.
    What excuse do you have for this ignorance when you live in an age of instant communication and access to huge amounts of data all for free? :confused:

Yet for some reason guys tend to be better with general knowledge, from geography, politics, and history, for some reason we know far more, yet if you ask a person why they know this they can not explain why. I put it down to simply being more inquisitive.

Do other people find this to be the same with girls they meet, or guys?
    Do you girls with general knowledge find these girls do not help with fighting stereotypes such as the stupid blonde etc?
    umm... don't think so.

You get empty headed guys as well as girls :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a female.

Germany is in europe, WW2 was a huge military conflict, involving the greatest powers, including the creation of two major alliances (Allies and Axis), began when Germany and Slovakia invaded Poland, 9/11 was an event was when the world trade centre was supposedly attacked by terrorists - Obviously, all these stories can be explained in great detail.

When do i collect my medal?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/judgemental

ReputationRep:
    In my case I'm just not really interested in general knowledge. I learn what I like learning about, and don't bother learning things that I'm not interested in, or that are unpleasant to learn, such as wars. Part of the reason why I do this is because I don't want to let myself be influenced by other people's opinions. When history or general knowlege is taught, very often the person teaching it will try and twist it to their own views of how and why it happened. I guess I'm- Wait, nope, can't be bothered to finish this answer.

ReputationRep:
    A girl I know back home (vindictive cow who broke me and my ex up... so we aren't friends anymore :teehee: ) thought Argentina was in Spain... Another girl in that group also thought it was in Europe.

Both these girls got straight As/A*s at GCSE and A-Level, in 'hard' subjects... including geography :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I remember when i told a girl Germany won WW2 and she put on facebook "Can't believe I thought Germany lost WW2". A bunch of other girls put things like "Omg i thought that as well!" The comment count reached 41 and the only people commenting on it were girls who were either confused or laughing at themselves for thinking England won it. Then one of my (male friends) put "Google it you spanners" and i got rumbled Bloody hilarious though

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's really gender specific. It just depends on where your interests lie. I know less about history and geography, just because I'm not particularly interested in it, but I'm more the science type, so I can tell you about new discoveries that are happening, etc. But I do know basic stuff about such things as WW2 or 9/11 just because there's always still a lot of talk about it.

But then the same thing can be said for guys. I have a feeling that these girls that you are mentioning probably are completely clueless about everything, or they are the type to dumb themselves down to make themselves sound cute, but then just come across as being stupid.

ReputationRep:
    As I have said, my experience has been that the large majority of girls do lack general knowledge, and after asking many guys, they feel the same way as well. Of course though this is only a large majority, so like yourself, not all girls are this way.
    From your experience it's a large majority of dim girls, from my experience girls like that are the minority.

(Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    I'd be more impressed if you could create a X Factor based analogy of WW2. :cool:
    I could actually, but it involves Simon Cowell being Hitler and although he seems like a douche I probably wouldn't go as far as to compare him to Hitler. Although contestants who are voted off just go back to their normal jobs or whatever, instead of dying horrible deaths in concentration camps so it's not really comparable I suppose, and as far as I'm aware X Factor hasn't invaded Poland at any point.

ReputationRep:
    I've never noticed any gender differences when it comes to general knowledge. I have noticed 'location' differences though. At my old state school, general knowledge - or any knowledge, really - was dreadful, and gems such as "is the bible about that Jesus guy?" were common. I doubt they could have told you where Ireland is, let alone Germany.
    At my current sixth form, though, which is a private school in a pretty nice area, almost everyone has a good grasp on general knowledge, and you'd be hard-pressed finding someone who couldn't tell you about WW2 or whatever you'd care to ask them.
    The obvious difference is that one was high school and the other sixth form, so the people who are in SF chose to be there and want to learn, whereas the kids in high school had no choice, and weren't interested. I'm pretty sure that one is a state school and the other private is a factor, but I'm not about to go down that road right now.
    My point is, I don't think it's about the girls you're hanging out with OP, just the place and the people in general.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who agrees with this? But it's not only the girls, it's guys too. I find it annoying when people don't know simple things (where some countries are, big historical events etc.) But I have seen that many guys (here in Finland) pretend that they know something even though they have no idea. Most girls just admit it and don't fake "yeah, it was horrible, right? You know, germans are... crazy". I think it's really sad especially because we have over 10 subjects in sixth form. You have to study geography, biology, history and many other subjects. They still don't know what has happened before and why.

ReputationRep:
    (a generalisation of course)

After talking to many people over the last few months, it has become very apparent that girls have almost zero general knowledge. They can tell you what is going on in their course or the X factor, but ask them where Germany is or what WW2 was about and they have no idea. I was reminded of this when a girl on TSR who was 20 had no idea what 9/11 was all about, even though it will be one of the most important historical events during her life.
    What excuse do you have for this ignorance when you live in an age of instant communication and access to huge amounts of data all for free? :confused:

Yet for some reason guys tend to be better with general knowledge, from geography, politics, and history, for some reason we know far more, yet if you ask a person why they know this they can not explain why. I put it down to simply being more inquisitive.

Do other people find this to be the same with girls they meet, or guys?
    Do you girls with general knowledge find these girls do not help with fighting stereotypes such as the stupid blonde etc?
    My boyfriend used to spend his school holidays watching discovery channel whereas until last March my family home only had 4 channels, thats my excuse but on the other hand my brother and i used to earn money from our parents by answering questions correctly on University Challenge and Mastermind.

Although i did once meet a girl who asked if Great Britain was in England, fail.

ReputationRep:
    One of my mates didn't know that Mary was Jesus's mother, she thought she was his sister, after going to a Catholic school for four years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    yes. always.

are you my Chloe?
    Yeah babes, did you guess because you know I'm secretly a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    What, 'Germany'?
    Generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    I can tell you where Germany is and what happened in WW2, I can't however tell you about x-factor.... does this make me a man?
    Yes it does I kind of take your point OP but i disagree. I think maybe you think this because say if a random guy came up and started talking to me about the X Factor I'd walk away. However if a girl did I'd probably just change the conversation topic. So you may only experience girls talking about X factor and other similar snorefests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Do you really want me to go into detail on early 20th century German history? Or the causes of WWI, as well as WWII? Cuz I will, in great detail, and I can promise you'll be bored.

Massive generalisation is massive.
    Touché.

ReputationRep:
    My flatmate didn't know where Jersey / The Channel Islands were lmao.

ReputationRep:
    I think if men didn't know about those subjects, they would be more likely to keep quiet about it so you don't notice. Whereas with certain groups of girls, they think it's funny/cute/endearing or whatever so they exaggerate their lack of knowledge. I just don't believe that anyone can get past the age of 10 without knowing where Germany is.

ReputationRep:
    While a great number of ideas regarding the OP, and what his perceptions imply about the people he surrounds himself with, come to mind, I will share this xkcd comic instead, as it pretty much sums up what the OP is doing at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Generalisation.
    yeah, I was trying to be funny

ReputationRep:
    Yes i wold say that girls lack General Knowledge now a days as i am one of them I dont Usaully know whats going on in the world because i watch less news.... i think that is the main reasons of not knowing about general knowledge now a days ... gyz sally are ot of the hose and they can get to hear it from somewhere what is going on in the world our at least outside but as me i rarely go out at times i even dont know that there was a fire in the next street and ur talkin abt general knowledge lol so its better not arguing about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.