Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good Pet for a Student Watch

ReputationRep:
    A gecko, they're so cute.

ReputationRep:
    A rat sounds decent........but a pet eagle shyea

I wouldn't mind a rat but my parents carry the stigma of Ooooh the plague....vile creatures.Anyone got a convincing arguement that doesn't involve me accusing my dad of being gay.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    Another vote for rat. How could you say no to this?
    Aww! Sorry for the neg, I meant to press quote but my phone wasn't zoomed out enough.
    I want a pet rat, I've wanted one for ages but my mum thinks the domesticated ones are still vermin. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    leopard gecko, so easy to care for (if you know what you're doing, and are doing it properly, so many people getting reptiles now without a clue)
    i'm hoping to take my bearded dragon in my second year! as i know halls won't allow her (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagnificentFuhrer)
    Rats make nice pets if you can stand the smell, although it isn't as bad as people make out as they tend to be quite clean. They're very intelligent animals and better than any hamster.

Seconded! Rats are awesome. We had two as a kid, Sergeent Pepper Colonel Mustard. They're very friendly and easy to keep pets. I don't think they smell anymore than any other animal if I'm honest. Very interactive so you have to handle them and they love climbing things!

Hamsters. What of time if you want a pet you can do something with. You get as much out of them as you would do a rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    A rat sounds decent........but a pet eagle shyea

I wouldn't mind a rat but my parents carry the stigma of Ooooh the plague....vile creatures.Anyone got a convincing arguement that doesn't involve me accusing my dad of being gay.

Thanks in advance
    Rats are fine. Just don't go catch them off the street. You wouldn't go grab a stray cat and take it home, same principle applies with rats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasc)
    Moving into a house next year, I would really like a pet, been wanting one for a LONG time but... mum can't stand them :>

Any ideas? Something low maintenance but likes a good stroking everything now and again! No cats or dogs as per the landlords orders

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    a rock... they live for ages

ReputationRep:
    I found this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Aww! Sorry for the neg, I meant to press quote but my phone wasn't zoomed out enough.
    I want a pet rat, I've wanted one for ages but my mum thinks the domesticated ones are still vermin. :sigh:
    Haha I did wonder who could have objected so strongly to the cute rat photo I love rats, they're so cute. I really want some but can't have them atm because I have two cats and... Well, y'know :p:

OP, small lizards are also a good idea. Like geckos or maybe a bearded dragon? They're really easy to handle and they feel so nice and they're beautiful... And I used to have a corn snake, he was a lot of fun to handle, only needed feeding once every 2-3 days when he was a baby then once a week when he got a bit older. They're a great snake to start off with, really easy to keep in captivity... Miss him

But yeah, if you're after something fluffy, rats are the way forward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagnificentFuhrer)
    Lol that is pretty cute.
    house rabbits are most certainly not 'low maintenance'

ReputationRep:
    a fat fluffy rabbit that sits on its backside and cuddles you in winter.perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Narwhal

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    It's sad that mice and rats get this kind of reputation - my parents were very much the same. I'm hoping that they'll come to love my mice in time.

As has been said so many times before, rats are brilliant. They're highly intelligent and love to play - whereas a hamster will run around on you, a rat really interacts with you. They're as low maintence as any rodent is ever going to be - just supply plenty of clean bedding, food and the all important love. Cleaning out should be done properly and regularly, but apart from that you should be fine.

(Just a word of advice on rats though: be careful with the type of bedding you use. Rats are prone to respiratory disorders, and dusty bedding only makes this worse. Also, especially if the idea of vet bills is a worry, you might want to consider buying from a breeder with a low instance of respiratory and tumour issues. Don't trust Pets at Home, who will probably tell you they never have any issues in their strains, as it's a load of ****. I've had some lovely animals from them, but when I was asking about their breeders they suddenly got really funny with me.)

If you don't have the space, mice are a lovely compromise. Not quite as interactive as rats, and considerably smaller and more delicate, but beautiful nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouse Potato)
    Don't trust Pets at Home, who will probably tell you they never have any issues in their strains, as it's a load of ****. I've had some lovely animals from them, but when I was asking about their breeders they suddenly got really funny with me.)
    That's because the source from rodent farms. The animals are kept in tiny cages with no enrichment and forced to push out litter after litter regardless of their health. It's quite horrendous......now that I know about it I'd never consider buying an animal from [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    That's because the source from rodent farms. The animals are kept in tiny cages with no enrichment and forced to push out litter after litter regardless of their health. It's quite horrendous......now that I know about it I'd never consider buying an animal from [email protected]
    Don't ever buy reptiles from them either, they all looked lethargic and ill when i was in there a few weeks ago.
    the equipment and vivaria they recommend is all wrong for a desert species.
    they tell people to use heat mats for bearded dragons, which is quite possibly one of the worst things a bearded dragon can have.
    they sell substrate that's known to kill reptiles. (calci-sand)
    crap lighting.
    selling vivariums that are too small for the animal.
    telling people the wrong temperatures to have the tanks at.
    it's so sad to see them cramped up in the little tanks.
    -__- and complaining doesn't get through to them, they generally don't give two ****s.

ReputationRep:
    Get a cactus! They are low maintenance, very loyal and never run away! Although sometimes they enjoy playing dead

ReputationRep:
    One of my ratties looks like that!

I Definitely agree that a rat (or two) is the way to go. If you only get one then make sure you play with it lots otherwise it'll get lonely though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urkel)
    The OP wants something that can be stroked, so perhaps a cactus isn't the best suggestion.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    Not surprised at all. I asked what their incidence of respiratory and tumour problems was. For a start the assistant didn't even know. I thought this was a bit fishy, as even on a short term placement at a privately owned pet shop I had to know that kind of thing. I put it down to her being new, or perhaps them having new breeders. She offered to call up the breeder - think she expected me to say no, but I took her up on it. When she asked my question, I was asked back "Why do you want to know?" Suspicious much?! Then got a very sharp "no problems. Ever. Not at all." The whole thing was horrendously suspicious.

I don't trust them any more to be honest. :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.