Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    GTFO.

Completely irresponsible. This is why school kids shouldn't be taught anything resembling clinical psychology.
    Jeez man, me and the lady were having a nice conversation and if you read the whole thing you would see i told her not to listen to me. Maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Jeez man, me and the lady were having a nice conversation and if you read the whole thing you would see i told her not to listen to me. Maybe you shouldnt jump to conclusions pal.
    Shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    Back off buddy. If you dont like what i was doing than maybe you should GTFO. Me and the Op were just joking around and if you dont believe me you can ask her yourself. :mad:

Life is always greener OP. I'm in my first year too, I made a close group of friends very quickly and a wider circle of people I know and I am still lonely and miserable and borderline depressed, just like you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they were completely irresponsible.

Self-diagnosis and other people suggesting thins can be very useful, if, and only if, it's taken with a pinch of salt.
    It's a suggestion, not an unmoveable fact. I know people who have looked up symptoms, taken a guess, and checked it out. If it's not that, fine. But many have found that it is that.

So, as long as the OP doesn't take these people's word as final, it's fine.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Now I see this is why teachers tell us not to diagnose people.

I hope this helps. I wouldnt go to the doctor yet I'd probably wait to see if it got worse, because it sounds like you can fix these problems without meds.
    Your teacher tells you not to diagnose people because you're not qualified to do so.

And just so you know, doctors don't just stick everyone who's depressed onto medication. The doctor and patient together decide what would be the best course of action - meds, referring you onto a psychiatrist, CBT etc. And if the patient is like "I don't want meds" (and is competent to make that decision) then the doctor has to respect that.

OP, plenty of people feel down when they move to uni, but most move on from this. If you can't see an end to this "downess"/can't imagine it ever improving then go get help, and go see your GP (and if you don't want meds/want to see a psychiatrist then tell them so!!!) and hopefully they can help you out with this. Whatever you do, don't allow it to get any worse - seek help!!! Good luck :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    I know people who have looked up symptoms, taken a guess, and checked it out. If it's not that, fine. But many have found that it is that.
    And I know many patients that have looked up symptoms which ended up feeding their neurosies and pretty much drove themselves into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We don't need little A-level kids thinking they can diagnose psychiatric illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Your teacher tells you not to diagnose people because you're not qualified to do so.

And just so you know, doctors don't just stick everyone who's depressed onto medication. The doctor and patient together decide what would be the best course of action - meds, referring you onto a psychiatrist, CBT etc. And if the patient is like "I don't want meds" (and is competent to make that decision) then the doctor has to respect that.

OP, plenty of people feel down when they move to uni, but most move on from this. If you can't see an end to this "downess"/can't imagine it ever improving then go get help, and go see your GP (and if you don't want meds/want to see a psychiatrist then tell them so!!!) and hopefully they can help you out with this. Whatever you do, don't allow it to get any worse - seek help!!! Good luck :console:
    I know Im not qualified, Ii never said I was, and i told the OP not to listen to what I said. I dont see the problem in giving someone advice if they know not to take it all on board and get a professional opinion as well. Yes i know the doctor doesnt just stick them on meds -_-
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, lemme just whip out my psychology textbook, and i will give this diagnosing stuff a go.
    :toofunny:

Oh...you were being serious...:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    :toofunny:

Oh...you were being serious...:unsure:
    Hey man, how is me looking in a book for advice any different to the rest of the people on here who just say whatever they think. And again i told the OP not to listen to me -_-
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, how is me looking in a book for advice any different to the rest of the people on here who just say whatever they think. And again i told the OP not to listen to me -_-
    If I'd only seen those words I'd think it was a pisstake on the usual a-level qualified online shrinks. But it wasn't, that's the really funny bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    If I'd only seen those words I'd think it was a pisstake on the usual a-level qualified online shrinks. But it wasn't, that's the really funny bit.
    :france:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I know Im not qualified, Ii never said I was, and i told the OP not to listen to what I said. I dont see the problem in giving someone advice if they know not to take it all on board and get a professional opinion as well. Yes i know the doctor doesnt just stick them on meds -_-
    Exactly. You're not qualified so you shouldn't be doing it!! Would you want a surgeon operating on you if he went "Oh I'm not qualified, but I've read about it and it'll be good revision for me. But don't worry, you can go see a qualified one afterwards if you want" No, you wouldn't. And you don't know that they're not going to listen to you. And from your post it didn't come across that you were aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert and I obviously don't know the whole story but it does sound a little bit like your not trying hard enough to bond with you flat mates granted you were ill and you did have to go to lectures but what are you doing now exactly? Are you posting comments hoping someone else will sort all this out for you are are you getting out there and making an effort?
    I know some of this will probably sound like I'm having a go at you but trust me I'm not.
    Hope this helpsx

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. You're not qualified so you shouldn't be doing it!! Would you want a surgeon operating on you if he went "Oh I'm not qualified, but I've read about it and it'll be good revision for me. But don't worry, you can go see a qualified one afterwards if you want" No, you wouldn't. And you don't know that they're not going to listen to you. And from your post it didn't come across that you were aware of it.
    Well seeing as the op told me she wont listen to me, i think i might go and take it that she wont listen to me. If the OP didnt want advice, she wouldnt have come on an internet forum, and when you come on an internet forum you're going to get advice from anybody, the advice i gave is no less useful than any other advice on this thread, just because i copied the information out of book.

So if someone is feeling a bit sick or has symptoms of something, according to you they should never look it up anywhere and go straight to the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    GTFO.

Completely irresponsible. This is why school kids shouldn't be taught anything resembling clinical psychology.
    Hey, I created this thread and Lewroll helped after the jokes, I did A Level Psychology too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Hey, I created this thread and Lewroll helped after the jokes, I did A Level Psychology too!
    Thank you, hopefully all the abuse will stop now lol
    You feeling better today?

ReputationRep:
    So I'm not allowed to talk to anyone about it?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Life is always greener OP. I'm in my first year too, I made a close group of friends very quickly and a wider circle of people I know and I am still lonely and miserable and borderline depressed, just like you.
    How come you feel lonely even with all those friends?

I must say that some doctors are crap with diagnosing mental illnesses, even though they are 'qualified'. My Dad's old doctor pretty much didn't believe in depression, and just told him to get his act together. My doctor in my hometown was also pretty bad when she diagnosed me with something after seeing one symptom, then just said okay well there's nothing you can do to treat it, so you'll just have to live with it. Didn't even give me a leaflet or anything.

That's the thing I think everyone has moved on from it. They've all already made their groups, and talk about each other's families etc. Know each other really well! I just hope I can squeeze in somehow :/
    Thanks

(Original post by mintymoo)
    I'm not an expert and I obviously don't know the whole story but it does sound a little bit like your not trying hard enough to bond with you flat mates granted you were ill and you did have to go to lectures but what are you doing now exactly? Are you posting comments hoping someone else will sort all this out for you are are you getting out there and making an effort?
    I know some of this will probably sound like I'm having a go at you but trust me I'm not.
    Hope this helpsx
    I would say that I didn't try hard enough to start with no. But a couple of weeks ago I decided to start doing the inviting. I wrote on my course's fb group wall (where everyone gets notified) anyone up for a night out tonight? I could see that a few were online but only 2 replied to me saying maybe (it was already about 5pm). One of the guys then asked people on the group chat and more people started replying (obvs like him a lot more than me) and they were like yeahh maybe, but then he had to go for some reason and the people left wouldn't reply to any of my messages so I gave up. That night I also set up a course xmas party for this week. A couple of people put attending, about 10 put maybe, and the the further 20 odd people didn't even reply. However a few days ago someone set up another course xmas party, on exactly the same day as mine and about 15 people put attending straight away, these are the people who put 'maybe' to mine. One guy even posted on my wall 'Maybe, but see, I might be doing my essay that night...' (even though we've had weeks to do it) which sounds rather sarcastic don't you think? I tried to get people out this weekend too and they were either too busy or had no money or didn't reply. The only successful organisations I've had were my birthday which was in the second week and going to see HP! I will defo try organising more things put it's just off putting when previous ones don't go to plan, yet the people you invite will all go out without inviting you a couple of days after! That reply was far too long sorry and thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, hopefully all the abuse will stop now lol
    You feeling better today?
    Lol indeed

Well, I didn't get to sleep until nearly 8am so am still in bed! Spoke to a girl who lives in my halls though and we agreed to meet up more Kinda worried me though because she told me she decided who she's going to live with next year after about 2 weeks of living here! Now I'm scared that everyone I know has as well

ReputationRep:
    Some natural supplements for depression/feeling down are St. John's Wort, Rhodiola Rosea, Bacopa Monnieri. The reaon for you depression is blindingly obvious - a lack of social interaction. This can be caused by social anxiety, which could be caused by ADD (Inattentive non-hyperactive ADHD) as well as many other things. The reason I mention ADHD, is because you seem to have found it pretty hard to organise you time which is a significant problem for those with the condition. Are you also slow at processing information (you can also be highly intelligent too)? Do you struggle with group conversations? There's is a big connection between ADHD, social anxiety/general anxiety and depression; namely lower amounts of dopamine, but it's much more complicated than that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.