Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rome or Paris? Watch

• View Poll Results: Rome or paris?
    Rome
    57.32%
    Paris
    42.68%

ReputationRep:
    After much deliberation no life would be complete without a trip to both.

ReputationRep:
    Which is cheapest? ROME, but you won´t have problems finding hostels and cheap food alternatives If you look for them in Paris. Check out this guides:

http://rapidshare.com/files/21443388...March_2007.rar

Which is the most beautiful? This is relative to your own taste, in my opinion at least. Each city should be visited at least once in a lifetime, both cities have incredible sights, monuments and activities to have you entertained for weeks.

Which makes for the most romantic break? PARIS, no doubt about it. Eiffel tower and Champs Elysees can´t be beaten.

Which is the most friendly to non French or Italian speakers? (I speak very, very basic Italian. Enough to order a pint, and get on the bus ) ROME would be friendlier in this aspect, as at least some time ago it was very difficult to communicate with locals in Paris as they tended to be reluctant to speaking in English. However, the situation has changed a little bit and nowadays they seem to be more flexible, but my answer in this case is still Rome.

[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:

If you choose Verona I advise you to visit some of the other main cities
    of Veneto (the Reason which contains them). First of all Venezia (Venice).
    Then Padova and Vicenza that – as you can see in the map - are just on
    the way towards Verona.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say I'd find Rome more romantic than Paris- nothing in my opinion beats the colosseum when it's all lit up at night, and the tiber river is lovely, as lovely as the seine.

to be honest both are pretty expensive, being capital cities and all, and if you do go to Rome bear in mind the 'Termini' area around the station is pretty skanky. cheap, but a bit nastylooking...!! blow your budget on either and you'll have an amazing time, try to save money and you'll be eating plastic pizza from the takeaway in rome...and i'm sure a similar thing goes for paris! enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Rome Rome Rome Rome Rome. :love::sogood: I'd give anything to go back there.

The Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, & the Vatican City are some of the most beautiful sights.

Rome.

ReputationRep:
    I like rome

ReputationRep:

If you decide to go to Rome you might also want to stretch a little bit
    North within Lazio and see Viterbo, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viterbo .
    I’ve been there on a daily trip from Rome and I found it really nice and
    unusual compared to other towns in Lazio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Which would you chose?

In terms of:
    Which is cheapest?
    Which is the most beautiful?
    Which makes for the most romantic break?
    Which is the most friendly to non French or Italian speakers? (I speak very, very basic Italian. Enough to order a pint, and get on the bus )

Cheers guys
    Cheapest-Rome, although not really cheap, just cheaper than Paris
    Most Beautiful- Both are great, but i think Paris is cleaner and has a more 'romantic reputation'-watching the eiffel tower all lit up at night while on a boat down the Seine. However, the Trevi fountain, Vatican City and the evening atmosphere in Rome is amazing :P
    Which makes for the most romantic break-As above, i think Rome just edges it
    Which is the most friendly to non french/italian speakers-Rome hands down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy124)
    Cheapest-Rome, although not really cheap, just cheaper than Paris
    Well, unfortunately that isn’t true. While there are some cheap things -
    as I said travelling by bus only costs 1 Euro for 75 minutes;
    plus there are a number of travel options which are even cheaper. –
    other things are much more expensive than in Paris or London.
    For example you don’t get cheap food here. Half sandwich will
    cost you 5 Euros and there’s no such a thing as cheap bread; the cheapest
    is at least three times more expensive than Kingsmill bread. No
    cheap tin beans; margarine is just as expensive a butter, an so on.

ReputationRep:
    Paris is better.

ReputationRep:
    I mean; don’t get me wrong; I love Paris too… :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Rome is better. Much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sea john)
    Well, unfortunately that isn’t true. While there are some cheap things -
    as I said travelling by bus only costs 1 Euro for 75 minutes;
    plus there are a number of travel options which are even cheaper. –
    other things are much more expensive than in Paris or London.
    For example you don’t get cheap food here. Half sandwich will
    cost you 5 Euros and there’s no such a thing as cheap bread; the cheapest
    is at least three times more expensive than Kingsmill bread. No
    cheap tin beans; margarine is just as expensive a butter, an so on.
    really?! i assume you must live in italy and therefore would know more than me, I however was just basing it on my experience in the two cities. I generally found the price of sightseeing, trips, clothes/present shopping was considerly cheaper in rome than in paris which i had visited the year before. Plus I didn't think the OP would be considering grocery items like the price of beans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy124)
    really?! i assume you must live in italy and therefore would know more than me, I however was just basing it on my experience in the two cities. I generally found the price of sightseeing, trips, clothes/present shopping was considerly cheaper in rome than in paris which i had visited the year before. Plus I didn't think the OP would be considering grocery items like the price of beans
    Why not? It depends on where he's going to stay; in a hotel he won't need to,
    but if he chooses to rent a flat or a room, it might be useful for him to know about that
    before going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    Very cheap. Not that beautiful.

Also Italians are friendlier than the frenchies.
    where did you find that beauty?

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Paris twice, once with school and the other time with my family, and Rome once with a boyfriend.

I don't know why everyone seems to be saying Paris is more expensive, they are both very expensive being touristy cities but Rome wasn't any cheaper than Paris in my opinion - 2 euros 50 for a fun size mars bar for example, bit random but just an example of how you can be ripped off.

They are both beautiful but in different ways - Rome is more impressive in its architecture and ancientness, whereas Paris is more arty and cultural.

Most Romantic - well they both are, but I'd say Paris , probably Romantic in a girly way though. For some reason I see Paris as feminine and Rome as masculine? haha doesn't help.

And in terms of language, well I like Paris because I can speak a little French, you'll be fine in both cities but I'd say go with whichever one you feel most comfortable and less intimidated by.

ReputationRep:
    Rome's nice!!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Paris with my boyfriend, and after that, nearly all my friends went with theirs! Definitely the most gorgeous and easiest to get around. Go around July, on Bastile day and watch the fireworks from the Eiffel Tower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    After much deliberation no life would be complete without a trip to both.
    This.

Been to Rome 4 years ago (was awesome) and am finally going to Paris next month.

ReputationRep:
    I put Rome, simply because you can get to Paris so, so easily either on a ferry, through the tunnel, or a very short flight, that it makes sense to try to get to Rome while you have the chance to :-)
    I went to Florence (never got to Rome, shame) and Pisa in 2008, and all of the locals were really friendly; and if they couldn't speak English, they at least made a huge effort to help us in whatever way they could!

I got through a whole week without being able to speak a word of Italian, and I survived.. so will you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.