Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Caraniel's Snowy Winter Anime Preview 2011 ~brought to you by the power of de-icer~ Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Well, I'm only basing this off the first episode, which wasn't amazing by any means, but certainly better than Iron Man. :tongue:

With Index 2, I'd like to see more of an intertwining of the characters from Index and Railgun, where they are both involved in a major arc (especially Toma and Mikoto). At present, there's still a separation between the two worlds of magic and science.
    Yeah, it's a bit of a weird one. The whole tagline of the programme is "When science and magic meet, our story begins" (or something like that, can't quite remember) yet apart from Mikoto there's been very little mixing of the two, and even then it was just her story without any magical involvement. I have to admit that Kuroko is REALLY annoying in Index (whereas I quite like her in railgun) which I presume is down to the lack of screentime for her - they don't have anything substantial for her, so she'll just keep trying to molest Mikoto (and failing to do so at that, even though she can teleport :|)

There seems to be some sort of background story going on between the Archbishop and the person who's upside-down in the tube (can't remember their/it's name), which could be interesting, but yeah, rather disappointing on the mixing front. Mikoto is an extremely proficient fighter (possibly as good as Stiyl?) yet they seem to keep her in the background for Index I'd like to see the two of them fighting together, although electricity and fire aren't a classic combination...

And for a show named after her, Index really doesn't seem to do much lately!

Yeah, time is always an issue, which is why I typically prefer to watch in batches. I find it easier to time manage when I watch that way. :smile:
    Yeah, batches make it easier 'cause I can just devote an hour to it. I find it hard to just spend 25 minutes on something 'cause then I don't know what to do with the time after that. That and I get annoyed with the cliffhangers somewhat XD

Yup, but not until the end of next month, so there's still a wait for this one.
    Well, the series isn't back in America until the end of this month, so I suppose I can wait a bit longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    Fortunately, it isn't. :smile:
    :hugs: Hi Aiko

where can I get wolverine from? I can't find it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kestral)

The sub group I've got it from is called Weapon+, if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    :hugs: That was helpful, thanks!

I'd rep you - but TSR won't let me

ReputationRep:
    Just finished watching Wolverine - it's actually pretty good :O FAR superior to Iron Man (but I only watched the first episode of that). This could be due to the fact that Tony Stark came across as a giant ass in Iron Man, but Logan isn't unlikeable.

One thing I didn't like about it was some of Logan's facial expressions - specifically his mouth. It just looks odd (mainly later in the episode).

I'll probably be keeping this on

And now problem

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't seem to have subs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    preview stuff
    you arnt using smileys anymore Is this because you are writing this for your blog first and copying it over?:sad: You priorities are different now.:sad:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't seem to have subs
    My version does. :confused: *also downloaded Weapon+, BTW*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    you arnt using smileys anymore Is this because you are writing this for your blog first and copying it over?:sad: You priorities are different now.:sad:
    Actually I write them here 1st before pasting into the blog template. I just don't use smilies as much for some reason - think its because so much of what I'm writing these days is for the blog and it doesn't really have a big variety of smilies.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I write them here 1st before pasting into the blog template. I just don't use smilies as much for some reason - think its because so much of what I'm writing these days is for the blog and it doesn't really have a big variety of smilies.
    :puppyeyes:I miss them, they really bring your previews like the onichan incest thingy one alive :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :puppyeyes:I miss them, they really bring your previews like the onichan incest thingy one alive :sadnod:
    Ah well emoticons were necessary for that review to really show just how much I hated that episode :mmm:

I'll try to put some more in, it just doesn't occur to me as much these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    My version does. :confused: *also downloaded Weapon+, BTW*
    I figured it out. Thanks though :hugs:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's a bit of a weird one. The whole tagline of the programme is "When science and magic meet, our story begins" (or something like that, can't quite remember) yet apart from Mikoto there's been very little mixing of the two, and even then it was just her story without any magical involvement. I have to admit that Kuroko is REALLY annoying in Index (whereas I quite like her in railgun) which I presume is down to the lack of screentime for her - they don't have anything substantial for her, so she'll just keep trying to molest Mikoto (and failing to do so at that, even though she can teleport :|)
    Yeah, after Kuroko's stint with the other teleport user (her name escapes me), her role has become somewhat redundant, appearing only for comic relief, which I agree is a shame because she's an interesting character with a great VA in Arai.

There seems to be some sort of background story going on between the Archbishop and the person who's upside-down in the tube (can't remember their/it's name), which could be interesting, but yeah, rather disappointing on the mixing front. Mikoto is an extremely proficient fighter (possibly as good as Stiyl?) yet they seem to keep her in the background for Index I'd like to see the two of them fighting together, although electricity and fire aren't a classic combination...
    Stiyl hasn't been faring too well lately, although that's largely in favour of allowing Toma to shine...

Spoiler:
    Show
    doing what he does best; preaching and punching females.

And for a show named after her, Index really doesn't seem to do much lately!
    Yes, she's also been receiving the Kuroko treatment of late. :giggle:

Yeah, batches make it easier 'cause I can just devote an hour to it. I find it hard to just spend 25 minutes on something 'cause then I don't know what to do with the time after that. That and I get annoyed with the cliffhangers somewhat XD
    Exactly, in recent years I'm finding it a lot more fun to plough through an anime series and to truly immerse yourself. This is why I've since adopted the format of picking up practically everything that airs, even those that didn't originally interest me from the PV, and making a judgement after the first few episodes, whereby typically I'd postpone almost all except three or four, with the intention to marathon the others when they finish. :smile:

Well, the series isn't back in America until the end of this month, so I suppose I can wait a bit longer
    I'm mildly intrigued by this one now, since Wolverine has turned out considerably better than Iron Man. :giggle:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:

Hi Kes. :hugs: Seems you've found a source already. Hope you're enjoying your time in Vietnam. :smile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiko)
    I'm mildly intrigued by this one now, since Wolverine has turned out considerably better than Iron Man. :giggle:
    Supernatural is by far one of my favourite programmes, and I can't wait to see it's anime treatment. If you've never seen it, you're in a better position than I, as the anime series is a retelling of the first two seasons of the TV original, with some anime original bits in it. It could turn out quite "monster of the week" though, since it's condensing the first two seasons (which is approximately 48 40 minute episodes) down to one series of standard anime episodes. Though, a lot of the first two seasons (which I didn't realise until I rewatched them all last year) are stories involving ghosts, so a lot of those could be cut.

It's definitely going to be interesting
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Supernatural is by far one of my favourite programmes, and I can't wait to see it's anime treatment. If you've never seen it, you're in a better position than I, as the anime series is a retelling of the first two seasons of the TV original, with some anime original bits in it. It could turn out quite "monster of the week" though, since it's condensing the first two seasons (which is approximately 48 40 minute episodes) down to one series of standard anime episodes. Though, a lot of the first two seasons (which I didn't realise until I rewatched them all last year) are stories involving ghosts, so a lot of those could be cut.

It's definitely going to be interesting
    Is it definitely going to be standard anime ep length? I'd assume they'd have a bit more freedom since it's an OVA, if the episodes needed the extra time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Is it definitely going to be standard anime ep length? I'd assume they'd have a bit more freedom since it's an OVA, if the episodes needed the extra time.
    I don't know. The releasing is a bit weird - episodes 1 and 2 (as a preview disc) come out on February 23rd, then 3 through 12 (and I presume 1 and 2 included) are shipping on March 9th, and the rest (13-22) will ship on April 6th. I presume them to be normal length episodes... who knows though. Episodes 1 through 12 cover the first season of the original programme, with 13-22 covering the second. It would make sense if they were extended episodes though.

It's more like they're releasing a series straight to DVD than making an OVA, though, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. The releasing is a bit weird - episodes 1 and 2 (as a preview disc) come out on February 23rd, then 3 through 12 (and I presume 1 and 2 included) are shipping on March 9th, and the rest (13-22) will ship on April 6th. I presume them to be normal length episodes... who knows though. Episodes 1 through 12 cover the first season of the original programme, with 13-22 covering the second. It would make sense if they were extended episodes though.

It's more like they're releasing a series straight to DVD than making an OVA, though, isn't it?
    Releasing straight to DVD is generally what an OVA is defined as......they don't air on TV.

ReputationRep:
    Releasing straight to DVD is generally what an OVA is defined as......they don't air on TV.
    Ah right, I usually thought of OVAs as mini-series or one-off episodes, rather than an entire series I didn't realise it would still come under the same umbrella.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, I usually thought of OVAs as mini-series or one-off episodes, rather than an entire series I didn't realise it would still come under the same umbrella.
    OVAs are generally shorter, but there isn't a definitive rule stating as such. For example, LOGH is an OVA series that's over 100 episodes. The format was introduced to cater for the sheer demand for animation in Japan, which couldn't be catered for on the television alone. The bonus is that producers have more freedom with OVAs and therefore you can expect works that are more avant garde and experimental such as FLCL. :smile:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.