Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

18 year old male learning to drive with Automatic? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I see. But most sports cars aren't, so I guess that's where I'm thinking there's a problem.
    Quite a few are nowadays...but hey if he can't drive a manual, im pretty sure he ain't into sports cars..but vaild point.

ReputationRep:
    I used to drive a 1989 Range Rover with a 3.9V8 coupled to a really good 4 speed auto box. It was lovely to drive and really relaxing but it would have been so much more fun with a 5 speed manual, especially with the honking big V8.

Seriously, man up and drive a manual. One of the most amazing experiences when driving is perfectly double declutching from 3rd to 2nd and hearing the overrun burble through the exhaust, or running along a twisty country or moorland road and blasting up and down through the gears. Automatics make driving boring. Expensive autos do a good job of bringing some of that fun back but I very highly doubt that many on this board are in a position to rag about in a a very expensive car with a decent auto box.

ReputationRep:
    It's really no big deal driving an automatic if you want to, and you did say that you don't care much what people think. You don't have to even tell anyone. Rich folk who drive the top of the range Jags and Mercs usually drive automatics, yet no-one mocks them; they just don't care about fuel economy or the cost.

One thing that you should consider first is getting to grips with the cause of the problem first (a manual licence is a handy thing to have, regardless of what you actually drive) and only go down the auto-only path as a last resort.

Could it be that you're struggling due to bad technique or poor instruction? Maybe you would benefit from a second opinion from another instructor? Perhaps your technique and instruction is fine, but you're just taking a little longer than some to acquire the skill. In this case, just more patience is needed.

ReputationRep:
    Automatics are slower, you'll never catch me off the lights

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.