Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cenotaph flag-swinging Pink Floyd son arrested Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    lol you're going to have your own personal memorial?
    Yeh it's gonna be pretty gd. It's gonna be in Trafalguar Square, because the protests always go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)
    You basically need a degree to become a commissioned officer.

Well you're sat behind your computer insulting future members of the armed forces :mad:

I still can't believe you're so disrespectful to someone who's going to join up:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: you're on their side aren't you you traitor:mad::mad::mad:
    You don't join the army and become an officer straight away I'm afraid, it doesn't work like that. You work your way up

If you need further qualifications you take them on the job with the support of the army

Come back when you've stopped being a massive racist

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it's gonna be pretty gd. It's gonna be in Trafalguar Square, because the protests always go there.
    Awesome. Let me know when it's ready... I'll lead my pacifist protests there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    The police today proved they are extremely stupid by suggesting the use of water cannons at the next riots

1. Students who are peacefully protesting will get hurt as a result
    2. Those students will then get more angry and resort to violence to retaliate
    3. The water cannon uses gallons of water - our water bills continue to go up during strained times
    4. It can spray up to 250 gallons per minute - this could be used across the country
    5. The money used to deploy the cannons is wasted and could be spent elsewhere
    6. Its more than likely going to be attacked, vandalised and maybe even set on fire
    7. The use of cannons in cities is pathetic - as the water cannon moves in to position then the protesters will run around streets corners off the assigned route and cause further carnage and chaos due to being angry and provoked because of the cannon. If the police kettle them and spray them then there will be a lot of people getting seriously hurt - so both methods will be a waste of time
    8. The more weapons the police start using the more weapons the students/yobs etc will start to use in retaliation - a lot of the yobs going along are part of organised inner city gangs and do have links to places where they can get knives/guns and so on so if the police escalate it by using more powerful weapons then the students will hit it up a notch as well - the law does say reasonable force - what is deemed reasonable force against a water cannon ?
    9. If the cannons are used at this protest then the protest after that will see students/yobs turn up prepared to face the cannon leading towards full scale chaos.
    10. When the police riot over the police budget cut will the police get sprayed by the army ? No, so why should students. Students have just as much right to protest. The police will damage the economy more than the students have anyway by striking which will leave thousands of crimes go on hitting the taxpayer harder than ever. The petty vandalism is nothing - graffiti is easy to move and the smashed in windows are cosmetic damages at most - I'm pretty sure the government can use MY LOVELY TAXPAYING CASH to sort it out anyway. They usually use it without asking anyway.
    Water cannons are reguarly used in NI.

That crowd very quickly scattered as soon as they saw the water cannons rolling up and it appears to be pretty effective. Whilst it does have the significant risk that you have highlighted, whats to say police tactics of charging into a crowd with large horses isn't going to carry a similar health risk. I'm interested to hear what you would suggest though to combat the violence. The protest at Millbank had a very low police presence and you could see the damage caused. I simply don't buy that violence is always incited by police presence, in some cases it can inflame the situation, but not always.

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm pretty sure it is illegal for police to strike for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    You don't join the army and become an officer straight away I'm afraid, it doesn't work like that. You work your way up

If you need further qualifications you take them on the job with the support of the army

thats very wrong actually.

you can sit your pre board and main board whilst you are at uni, go to RMAS straight after uni and then join a regiment as an officer.

Come back when you have a clue please.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. Let me know when it's ready... I'll lead my pacifist protests there
    Kl, I'll try. Remember to bring spraypaint etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)

Actually, you really do enter as a commissioned officer if you have a degree, and enter as a soldier if you don't have a degree. And people who come in as ordinary soldiers work hard to become NCOs. My understanding is that they will extremely rarely become fullcommissioned officers.

It works on British elitism. The lower class soldiers expect leadership from the middle class officers. That is how drilled in the class system is in Britain.

Lol, how is it racist, all I want to do is shoot some terrorists with my arabic

ReputationRep:
    Actually, you really do enter as a commissioned officer if you have a degree, and enter as a soldier if you don't have a degree. And people who come in as ordinary soldiers work hard to become NCOs. My understanding is that they will extremely rarely become fullcommissioned officers.

It works on British elitism. The lower class soldiers expect leadership from the middle class officers. That is how drilled in the class system is in Britain.

Lol, how is it racist, all I want to do is shoot some terrorists with my arabic
    I agree with you on this. They had the army at one of my uni's career fairs. The guy stopped me because I was trying to pinch one of the free pens. He then talked on about joining and showed me the level I'd join at if I had a degree

ReputationRep:
    Kl, I'll try. Remember to bring spraypaint etc
    Always with the spraypaint. And we'll bring some candles too.

Wait a minute, aren't you going to have to be dead for this to happen? How are you going to let me know so I can gather the masses? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, good!

ReputationRep:
    Always with the spraypaint. And we'll bring some candles too.

Wait a minute, aren't you going to have to be dead for this to happen? How are you going to let me know so I can gather the masses? :eek:
    Oh yeh, don't worry, I'm gonna pull something MASSIVE to get this Trafalguar Square memorial anyway, so it'll be all over the news. Just keep an eye out in a few years, it'll be there, page 2 story in the Sun, you know the way.

Kerry will mention that she thinks brave soldiers need more respect from the public on Page 3 in "the News in Briefs", too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    i think who has most to answer from is: cambridge university.

what are they teaching and who are they admitting if a 2nd year history student doesnt even know what the cenotaph is?
    'They disembarked in 45
    And no-one spoke and no-one smiled
    There were to many spaces in the line.
    Gathered at the cenotaph
    All agreed with the hand on heart
    To sheath the sacrificial Knifes.'

Part of a song that his dad performed on the last Pink Floyd album with Roger Waters. Shouldn't he have known about the cenotaph's significance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    My comment has absolutely nothing to do with the protests.
    Get back on topik, then!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.