Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Carlos Tevez earns £286,000-a-week tax free Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    A proportion of ticket sales goes to wages. As minor as that may be in the case of someone like City, some people don't want the slightest proportion of their money going towards player's wages. I can certainly understand that.
    Well that just sounds like they don't really like football!

As has been pointed out, the ticket prices in the lower leagues are not massively different from those in the Premiership, certainly not enough to explain the wages.

Even TV rights don't explain Premiership wages at the top end, sure they enabled the £15000 a week type wages, but the reason players get six figures a week is because there are multi billionaires who are willing to put money in, not as an investment, but as their own personal spending toy, because they won't break even on it. The problem for guys like those American owners is they thought they could make a profit on football, they couldn't, and they weren't in it out of love for the history of Liverpool FC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    It's a lot of money but not as high as it seems.

The thing with football salaries is they're often quoted per week so it seems greater than it really is.

Top F1 drivers get well in excess of £30-40 million, which is more than double what footballers earn :yep:
    *******s.

1 Fernando Alonso, Ferrari - €30 million
    2 Lewis Hamilton, McLaren - €16 million
    = Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari - €16 million
    4 Felipe Massa, Ferrari - €14 million
    5 Jenson Button, McLaren - €9 million
    6 Michael Schumacher, Mercedes - €8 million
    = Nico Rosberg, Mercedes - €8 million
    8 Robert Kubica, Renault - €7.5 million
    9 Rubens Barrichello, Williams - €5.5 million
    10 Mark Webber, Red Bull - €4.2 million
    11 Jarno Trulli, Lotus - €3 million
    12 Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull - €2 million
    = Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus - €2 million
    14 Timo Glock, Virgin - €1 million
    15 Nico Hülkenberg, Williams – €700,000
    16 Pedro de la Rosa, Sauber – €500,000
    = Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber – €500,000
    18 Vitaly Petrov, Renault – €400,000
    = Sébastien Buemi, Toro Rosso – €400,000
    = Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso – €400,000
    21 Adrian Sutil, Force India – €200,000
    = Vitantonio Liuzzi, Force India – €200,000
    = Lucas di Grassi, Virgin – €200,000
    24 Bruno Senna, Hispania – €150,000

- Karun Chandhok, Hispania – Pay driver
    - Sakon Yamamoto, Hispania - Pay driver

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    *******s.

1 Fernando Alonso, Ferrari - €30 million
    2 Lewis Hamilton, McLaren - €16 million
    = Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari - €16 million
    4 Felipe Massa, Ferrari - €14 million
    5 Jenson Button, McLaren - €9 million
    6 Michael Schumacher, Mercedes - €8 million
    = Nico Rosberg, Mercedes - €8 million
    8 Robert Kubica, Renault - €7.5 million
    9 Rubens Barrichello, Williams - €5.5 million
    10 Mark Webber, Red Bull - €4.2 million
    11 Jarno Trulli, Lotus - €3 million
    12 Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull - €2 million
    = Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus - €2 million
    14 Timo Glock, Virgin - €1 million
    15 Nico Hülkenberg, Williams – €700,000
    16 Pedro de la Rosa, Sauber – €500,000
    = Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber – €500,000
    18 Vitaly Petrov, Renault – €400,000
    = Sébastien Buemi, Toro Rosso – €400,000
    = Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso – €400,000
    21 Adrian Sutil, Force India – €200,000
    = Vitantonio Liuzzi, Force India – €200,000
    = Lucas di Grassi, Virgin – €200,000
    24 Bruno Senna, Hispania – €150,000
    Schumacher's salary at the height of his career was £60 million, in fact he's the first sportsman billionaire.

Kimi Raikkonen's salary last year ~£52 million, and he reportedly made £100 million + in his championship winning year 2007 with bonuses. He's getting €16 million this year and he's not even racing, it's contract money from Ferrari.

Like I said, TOP F1 drivers get paid in excess of £30-40 million, are you retarded can you not read? What good is it giving a list of all of them? On that standard I may as well list all the footballers, a lot of whom will have low salaries too.

ReputationRep:
    Schumacher's salary at the height of his career was £60 million, in fact he's the first sportsman billionaire.

Kimi Raikkonen's salary last year ~£52 million, and he reportedly made £100 million + in his championship winning year 2007 with bonuses. He's getting €16 million this year and he's not even racing, it's contract money from Ferrari.

Like I said, TOP F1 drivers get paid in excess of £30-40 million, are you retarded can you not read? What good is it giving a list of all of them? On that standard I may as well list all the footballers, a lot of whom will have low salaries too.
    We are talking about basic salaries, footballers have all kinds of bonuses and add ons too. Schumacher's wealth is as much to do with advertising, investment and endorsement as it is from what he was paid by Ferrari - all things top footballers have access to as well. Moreover, he is unique in dominating the sport for years in a way that no footballer ever has done so consistently before so it makes sense that he would be remunerated as such.

Kimi Raikkonnen's basic salary in 2009 was 45 million dollars - I suggest you stop insulting me and actually provide some sources for the figures you are quoting. I'm also aware that he was paid this year and if you actually read the list I provided, you would see he was on there.

ReputationRep:

Fail at people not knowing difference between £ and $

ReputationRep:
    F1 drivers earn there money mind. They are much fitter athletes than footballers. Fact

ReputationRep:
    to be fair he is 'only' earning 15m a year, plenty of businesses pay their employees that - thats all he is AN EMPLOYEE

The real grievances should be with the CLUBS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    He's a git in every sense of the word. Woeful attitude to football.
    He wants to stop playing for Man City so he can spend time with his wife and kids, what a git

ReputationRep:
    Jealous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    He wants to stop playing for Man City so he can spend time with his wife and kids, what a git
    No, he wants to stop playing for City because he's fallen out with some executives. Now he's basically saying, 'screw the contract, I simply won't play'. He stomped his feet at United because they weren't giving him enough games, and now he's stomping his feet at City. He's a git.

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely doubt he is paid £286,000 tax free or even after-tax. If it includes imade rights then his pre-tax wages might hit that number.

ReputationRep:
    It could be tax-free depending on Argentina's tax policy, he doesn't have to pay taxes in this country.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    It's not really tax-free. I'm guessing that's the figure he earns after tax. Surely!
    :O simply crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It could be tax-free depending on Argentina's tax policy, he doesn't have to pay taxes in this country.....
    Of course he pays tax on his income to UK. I intepret it as Man City basically saying we guarentee you 286k after tax, should income tax rates change etc So the club/player still pays PAYE on the pre-tax amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Why wouldn't he? Foreigners employed in the UK do have to pay tax...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Why wouldn't he? Foreigners employed in the UK do have to pay tax...
    There are ways and means around it, it's one of the reasons he hasn't bought a house in this country...... if he chose to get his wage payed to a company in his name/his agents' name[s] and that company is registered overseas...... it's all about creative accounting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    I know, she deserves a picture of the week thing.

Can you change that to picture of the day please?? :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    this is what happens when your employers happen to control a significant chunk of the worlds oil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    No, he wants to stop playing for City because he's fallen out with some executives. Now he's basically saying, 'screw the contract, I simply won't play'. He stomped his feet at United because they weren't giving him enough games, and now he's stomping his feet at City. He's a git.
    Being in football is the only form of employment where the employee's rights seem to not exist.

Imagine a Mr. C. Tevez working at an admin office. He has the right to ask for a raise - and could get if his individual performance is worth it. He has the right to resign from his position if he feels that he no longer wishes to work there. And he has the right to, prior to any form of notice being handed in, to seek other employment and attend interviews.

In the football world, all of the above are not only unlikely, but frowned upon and regarded as unfair and mean.
    That's simply wrong, in any other job he could sue the employer for denying those actions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.