Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My daughter keeps getting fined! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I don't think this is the best place to brag about this, when most people on this forum get the minimum government support and consequently use up their loan on their accommodation and are well into their overdraft by Christmas, whilst your Christmas presents apparently get funded by taxpayers.
    It wasn't bragging, just a comment fyi.

And I agree that the government scheme based on the income is unfair seeing as it is judged on pre-taxes income and the fact they seem to assume higher income families will help with living expenses, however to be completely honest with you, its nice to have some money spare after scraping the bottom of the barrel for years.

What annoys me is the people with big trust funds (I'm talking 15k at beginning of gap year) from their parents/grandparents who go and blow it all on things like travelling and then STILL get bailed out by their parents for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    Probably because your family income is on a higher band than mine was.

I agree its not fair, a lot of the time the government seems to expect people from higher income families to be getting help from their parents with money, which the majority of the time, wasn't the case.

Plus the fact they calculate the income before tax is also really unfair. However i was just lucky to get it, so i can't complain. Did mean that i could buy drinks for my friends when they were getting a bit skint or helping pay for train tickets going to see things, so it was nice for me
    Yeah I dare say its because of that - It doesn't seem right though surely everyone should have the same amount to live off, yet another flaw of our government. It is ridiculous though - It says on my student finance forms that the estimated amount my parents should be giving me is £79 a week or in another words £316 a month - in reality I get my £23 a month phone bill paid and thats it, I don't think they even have that much left after they've paid bills - let alone give me £300!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    This is just stupid. The university has a right to charge the residents for damage in their communal area. I dislike it as much as you, someone broke a staiwell light in my block, probably some drunken yob, all of us might be charged for it yet not sure whats going to happen yet.
    I totally agree - hence the chair. But when a fire alarm goes off in a communal area I don't see how it's fair to just charge one student with no proof that it was that student who set it off (since I assume it wasn't in her room).

ReputationRep:
    Universitys unfortunately are a law onto themselves.

In a private let they could not legally do this, but theres no real laws regarding university owned/ran accomodation which is shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Yeah I dare say its because of that - It doesn't seem right though surely everyone should have the same amount to live off, yet another flaw of our government. It is ridiculous though - It says on my student finance forms that the estimated amount my parents should be giving me is £79 a week or in another words £316 a month - in reality I get my £23 a month phone bill paid and thats it, I don't think they even have that much left after they've paid bills - let alone give me £300!
    Yep it is pretty stupid, government is rather one sided about things like that, its a bit ridiculous in my opinion (yes, even as one of the people on the advantaged side of it!). I can understand it for people whose parents WOULD be giving them an allowance, as then its just wasting money on people who don't need it, but a lot of my friends parents consider university as a time where you should start getting your independance, and not be hanging onto the aprons strings etc, so they don't get any help and they have a lot of difficulties with money once the bills and rent are paid..

There's not much that can be done about it though, and sadly what with the new £9000 max fees coming in its only going to get worse with the divide between the lower and higher income families, which in turn is going to create a greater divide between classes, causing yet more problems. And who ever said the government wasn't secretly elitist?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    she will have signed a contract when she moved in there which states that they are allowed to do all the things they are doing now! the only thing you can do is have a word with the uni and tell them about the situation you and your daughter are in and explain that it wasnt her fault and see what they suggest

ReputationRep:
    This seems a bit strange to me. I'm pretty sure that no one can just take money out of your account without your permission regardless of what they believe you to owe.

Maybe some law people can confirm, but are you sure you're getting the full story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    Pink mobile phone is a mother and student though - not a mother of a student
    ...touché :hat2:

(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Meth, go hard or go home.
    eye dun do meth lulz

No seriously, I don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    My initial reaction is that your daughter is trying to swindle your cash to feed her cocaine habit.
    lol.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by students mom)
    My daughter is a 1st year student living in Halls.
    She is on max student grant/Loan due to family income.

She has managed her budget quite well but now someone has broken a chair in her flat and also set off fire alarm in the same week.

University has fined her £31 for broken chair and taken the money out of her Bank account causing her to go over her overdraft limit and be charged by Bank. Now she is also getting charged £150 for setting off fire alarm, she was at fault for neither of these incidents and as she has no money now until January, she is fretting that Uni will kick her out.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and has anyone got any advice on this matter. She has emailed the accomodation dept but is awaiting a reply.
    This is sadly quite common (communal blame). People have posted on here before that if something gets damaged everyone pays if the culprit can't be found. Similar for setting of fire alarms.

The best way to get the money back would be to find the person(s) who are responsible. Otherwise, I suggest talking to someone in the halls, they usually have a warden or something.

The thing with taking it directly out of the bank - is that even legal? They probably have signed a contract that fines have to be paid in cases like these, but that sounds dubious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    Yep it is pretty stupid, government is rather one sided about things like that, its a bit ridiculous in my opinion (yes, even as one of the people on the advantaged side of it!). I can understand it for people whose parents WOULD be giving them an allowance, as then its just wasting money on people who don't need it, but a lot of my friends parents consider university as a time where you should start getting your independance, and not be hanging onto the aprons strings etc, so they don't get any help and they have a lot of difficulties with money once the bills and rent are paid..

There's not much that can be done about it though, and sadly what with the new £9000 max fees coming in its only going to get worse with the divide between the lower and higher income families, which in turn is going to create a greater divide between classes, causing yet more problems. And who ever said the government wasn't secretly elitist?
    Your post makes no sense. You say it's unfair for the government to support lower income students more than higher income students by giving them more money. People who get minimum loans do so because their parents earn in excess of £60k, which is double the average salary in this country. The government do this to encourage more people from poor backgrounds to go to uni. Yes, it's unfortunate that some fairly well off people decide to cut off their kids as soon as they turn 18, but that's their decision. You seem to think the government gives too much help to poor people and not enough to middle/high income families.

You then go on to say that as fees get higher, and more help becomes available to poorer students, it is going to create a bigger divide between higher and lower income families. How? It will f*** over the middle income people, but poor kids will still get extra help and rich people can (supposedly) afford it anyway. The whole point of this system is that MORE people from working classes go to uni, not less. When I went to uni first time, your parents had to be on a tiny wage for you to get free fees, and everyone else had to pay up front. That's right - £1250 on the first day of term. No loan. So I got a loan of just over £3k. There were no grants available, and the max loan to anyone, even if they're parents income was 0, only got about £4500 loan. I had to pay £1250 on the first day of term, out of my £3k loan. thankfully, my Dad is not a **** and helped me out a lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.