Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree with the scrapping of EMA? Poll Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you pleased that EMA has been scrapped?
    Yes, it wasn't fair on the middle classes and was used innapropriately!
    41.03%
    Yes, we can no longer afford it!
    14.81%
    I am indifferent
    4.27%
    No, we can still afford it!
    2.28%
    No, poorer students relied upon it and it encouraged social mobility!
    37.61%

ReputationRep:
    You're all a bunch of idiots (well half of you anyway) ... EMA helped a lot of people, I have friends that simply would NOT have been able to go to college if not for EMA and in at least 1 case I know the kid used to give £20 of the £30 a week he got to his mother to help with bills and food because the job she had didn't pay enough to support 2 kids and the father wasn't paying any money to kids after the divorce... Yes the system needed to be looked at, but only tightened, not scrapped... And to any of those who say otherwise I hope you die in cold damp hole in the ground eating your own **** to try and stay alive you ignorant pieces of wanna-be upper class scum!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I got nothing, and because I had two sisters at college as well, my parents were utterly strapped for cash. We are not middle class in any sense of the word, yet some numbers on a piece of paper (our income) makes people automatically think we can afford it no problem. I had to get two part time jobs, and I find it hard to believe anyone who says they don't have time for one.

All of my friends got EMA, some clearly more well off than I am because they probably managed to find loopholes in the system. Every single one of them used the money to buy computer games, alcohol and fast food. I don't buy (no pun intended) the books argument either. For a system that gives you £30 a week (£120 a month), how many bloody books do you need to buy? I bought about 3 in total over two years and that cost me no less than £20. You can get 10 pens for about £2. The only thing is bus travel, which should really be covered by a free bus pass for students because buses in many areas are ludicrously expensive, but even then that doesn't seem to stop most people I know spending it on computer games, booze and sweets at the corner shop. Scrapping it altogether is slightly harsh, but it badly needs revamping because currently it's undeniably abused to hell and back to pay for luxuries and junk most kids don't even need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontJudge)
    omg who ever ticked the top box is just stupid.

middle class people can get 100 quid a week if they wanted to, and plus they parents can pay for their driving liscense, car, house, tuition fees, clothes.

working people have to earn themselves , pay for their own things, and EMA helps to boost that and eqiups us for educational success. like who has the money to buy books worth 25 quid, middle class people can pay for it, working class cant, and so ema helps to pay for that.
    How dare you make such assumptions. Middle class parents do not, by default, bail out their children. I'm a child of middle class parents and I never got handouts from them. I went out and got a job, instead of relying on the government to give me money. I paid for all my own educational supplies, like '25 quid textbooks'. I dragged myself out of bed every weekend and took myself to work, taking every bit of overtime I could, so that I could afford what I wanted.
    So seriously, if you're strapped for cash, go and get a job like the rest of us, instead of expecting money from the government that frankly, you don't deserve.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    It was abused BUT it was very helpful to those who needed it. Keep it and give it a massive overhaul.

ReputationRep:
    It didn't need scrapping, just tweaking.
    Giving everyone £10 a week would do, that'd pay for everyone's food and bus fare and wouldn't be unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    Yes, it is abused too much and the system just makes people spend it on things which aren't school related at all.

However, I think the government should consider a system of which they give free bus/train passes (or top up their bus cards), cards for free school meals and vouchers to buy school equipment for people whose household income is under £25,000.
    I don't think it should be, but I do agree with the above (free travel passes and school meals etc).
    While the EMA system may be abused, something needs to replace it.
    A lot of poorer people simply can't afford to go to sixth form without it (greatly increased travel costs at most sixth forms being the main problem).

(Original post by .Ali.)
    It was designed to help with the costs of college and sixth form - what costs? Transport, yeah okay I see that one. What else? Books are provided, stationary you only need once in a while. I honestly don't see what else they need £30 a week for.
    We have had this discussion before.
    Books are not always provided by the sixth form / college.
    Stationary is not always provided.
    What about school / field trips (that richer students get their parents to pay for)?
    University open days / interviews (which again richers get their parents to pay for).
    Not everyone on EMA gets £30 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    How dare you make such assumptions. Middle class parents do not, by default, bail out their children. I'm a child of middle class parents and I never got handouts from them. I went out and got a job, instead of relying on the government to give me money. I paid for all my own educational supplies, like '25 quid textbooks'. I dragged myself out of bed every weekend and took myself to work, taking every bit of overtime I could, so that I could afford what I wanted.
    So seriously, if you're strapped for cash, go and get a job like the rest of us, instead of expecting money from the government that frankly, you don't deserve.
    Having a job can be detrimental to people's education.
    You shouldn't have to get a job to be educated, it's supposed to be funded by the government after all.

Don't get your knickers in a twist because your parents were evil.

ReputationRep:
    Not used properly by the majority. People with these incomes should have to spend on education then claim back, not the other way around.

New criteria for qualification are needed as well. A single child living with parents of a combines income of £30,000 =/= A couple of the same wage value with 3 children.

What do people think about this:

Considering the average amount of children in the UK at the moment is 1.8, (30,000/1.8 = roughtly 16,500). I'd say that if (Combined salary of parents/number of children) < 16,500 Then EMA should be claimable. If the combined salaries were above £40,000 then they cannot claim EMA regardless to control expenses.

To claim EMA you would have to present a receipt of travel expenses/education related supplies to your colleges 6th form EMA officer. They would then give you the amount on the receipt, limited to £10, £20 or £30 depending on parents income.

ReputationRep:
    I think EMA was a waste of time in the first place- if someone wants to learn, he/she should learn out of choice. You shouldn't be paid incentives to make you stay in education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I think EMA was a waste of time in the first place- if someone wants to learn, he/she should learn out of choice. You shouldn't be paid incentives to make you stay in education.
    But the point is some people cannot afford to stay in education.
    The increased costs of staying in sixth form / going to college are too much for poorer families.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    You shouldn't have to get a job to be educated, it's supposed to be funded by the government after all.

My parents were by no means evil, they just wanted to teach me financial responsibility and independence. They didn't want me to leech off the government and be dependent on their handouts. That isn't evil, it's responsible. You can't live life off the back of others.
    I knew people at college that were on EMA and several other government handouts, and owned horses. I couldn't afford a horse, but because they benefited greatly off this culture of dependency and blanket benefits, they could afford the weekly upkeep of luxuries like that. It's ridiculous. EMA should be scrapped and the government should enforce the policy of 'get a job or don't have it'.

ReputationRep:
    As an EMA student myself, I totally agree with the scrapping of EMA. While I am amongst the minority of students who will spend the money on stuff for school (textbooks, pens etc) this tends to be a one off payment of around £80 at the start of the year. This leaves the rest of the money unneeded for school (but very much welcomed), and I've ended up spending the vast majority of it on driving lessons.
    Another gripe I have with the EMA system, is that it provides me with a comfortable weekly income, so that I have felt less pressurised to get of my lazy arse and get a job.
    While I understand that there are a very small number of students who really do need EMA money, it should be under a different system so that it does not go to those who can happily survive without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)

If you have to get a job and it's making your education more difficult, then it's up to you to put the extra effort in if you want to achieve the best grades instead of moaning about how hard life is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I don't think it should be, but I do agree with the above (free travel passes and school meals etc).
    While the EMA system may be abused, something needs to replace it.
    A lot of poorer people simply can't afford to go to sixth form without it (greatly increased travel costs at most sixth forms being the main problem).

We have had this discussion before.
    Books are not always provided by the sixth form / college.
    Stationary is not always provided.
    What about school / field trips (that richer students get their parents to pay for)?
    University open days / interviews (which again richers get their parents to pay for).
    Not everyone on EMA gets £30 a week.
    You can get second hand books cheap of ebay, amazon, borrow them from the library. You don't have to get them new.

You can get pens and a refill pad for like £1.

I agree with that point, but it's not every week you go on those. I've been on two trips since starting in September, both were free. As long as they give you adequate warning in advance, anyone can scrape together £10 once in a blue moon.

Again, open days aren't going to be sprung upon you without enough warning.

Yeah that's a valid point, but I know plenty who do that really don't deserve it. For example, a guy I know: his father is a multimillionaire, he owns several pubs and a brewerey (sp?). However, he lives with his mother who makes £20,000 a year...he gets EMA (I think he gets £20 or £30 a week), despite an allowance from his father, and child maintenance from his father. Abuse of the system? I think so.

Also, why can't they get a part time job if they want spending money? That'd be much better than relying on other people's money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But the point is some people cannot afford to stay in education.
    The increased costs of staying in sixth form / going to college are too much for poorer families.
    How difficult is it for someone to work 4-6 hours a week to make up the shortfall of £20-£30 a week they were getting from the government? I don't benefit from EMA but I still pay my own way- what possible costs are there for someone to stay in education? Bus fare/stationary is all I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    My parents were by no means evil, they just wanted to teach me financial responsibility and independence. They didn't want me to leech off the government and be dependent on their handouts. That isn't evil, it's responsible. You can't live life off the back of others.
    We aren't leeching off the government, we pay taxes and expecting maybe £10 a week to pay for bus fare/food/equipment isn't much, is it?

(Original post by Riso)
    I knew people at college that were on EMA and several other government handouts, and owned horses. I couldn't afford a horse, but because they benefited greatly off this culture of dependency and blanket benefits, they could afford the weekly upkeep of luxuries like that. It's ridiculous. EMA should be scrapped and the government should enforce the policy of 'get a job or don't have it'.
    That is irrelevant, all that shows is that the old system didn't work, it needed changing not scrapping.

You're just proving my point that you're bitter because your parents had different morals to other people's parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    You can get second hand books cheap of ebay, amazon, borrow them from the library. You don't have to get them new.

You can get pens and a refill pad for like £1.

I agree with that point, but it's not every week you go on those. I've been on two trips since starting in September, both were free. As long as they give you adequate warning in advance, anyone can scrape together £10 once in a blue moon.

Again, open days aren't going to be sprung upon you without enough warning.

Yeah that's a valid point, but I know plenty who do that really don't deserve it. For example, a guy I know: his father is a multimillionaire, he owns several pubs and a brewerey (sp?). However, he lives with his mother who makes £20,000 a year...he gets EMA (I think he gets £20 or £30 a week), despite an allowance from his father, and child maintenance from his father. Abuse of the system? I think so.
    I'll give you the points about books and stationary. Though the costs still add up. And just because they are on ebay, doesn't always make them cheap.

As for open days, they may not be. But they can still be very expensive (long train journeys and a possible hotel room have to be factored in for some people). I probably spend around £150 on trains going to open days and interviews for uni.

And as with the other thread about benefits, you cannot punish people who genuinly need it because a few abuse the system. Of course that person you know shouldn't get it. But that doesn't devalue its need for other students who get it.

ReputationRep:
    i do get ema but unlike almost everyone i know who also gets it i spend it on textbooks and transport to school, if i need to buy revision guides i get them but theyre expensive and its great to have cash to get them but others wont "waste" their money on helping their education yet they get angry when this and lazyness gets them bad grades, i think that it would be much better spent on giving everyone vouchers like to amazon books or to bus authorities etc

because its not helping our education because too many spend it on alcohol i deffinately think that it should be replaces but not scrapped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfos)
    If you have to get a job and it's making your education more difficult, then it's up to you to put the extra effort in if you want to achieve the best grades instead of moaning about how hard life is.
    I was under the impression that the point in our education system was to make sure that nobody is at a disadvantage.

So while some poor person is doing their 4 hour shifts, instead of further reading or work, richer people are sat there gaining an advantage because they don't have to do a job.

ReputationRep:
    It's being scrapped but replaced with 'a more targeted learner support fund', which is very vague but sounds far better than the current system. The learning support fund has around a fifth of the budget that the current EMA system has, which sounds fine (I'm sure less than a fifth of EMA money is genuinely needed). Hopefully we end up with a better system where the few people who really need support get it and free bus passes are given out to those who really need them. So yes I agree with it being scrapped (coming from someone who gets the full £30), depending on what it is replaced with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.