Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    from experience id advise you to join the 'house party'
    i doubt you'd make the shortlist as a member of the 'christmas party' since that boat has already set sail
    failing those, id strongly advise you to join one of the 'birthday party(ies)'

i can assure you that places are few and far between but if you really think this career is for you i have full faith in you, so get out their and support your local parties!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    If they don't want grammar schools, they have little to offer me
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    Why?

Because when I think of Conservative policy that seems to be the only thing that stands out as something I want. And now they don't even offer it. Unless there's something else I might like..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Yeah. Most of them are nonsensical, but still, they're probably a better party than any that's gone before them :teehee:

http://www.loonyparty.com/index.php?page=Policies
    Previous MRLP policies included pet passports and all-day pub licences.

you're probably best sitting on the sidelines and hurling abuse in every direction really tbh

ReputationRep:
    Because when I think of Conservative policy that seems to be the only thing that stands out as something I want. And now they don't even offer it. Unless there's something else I might like..?
    I don't think any of them love Grammar Schools anymore, they think it's 'unfair'.

Well it depends what you think of things such as the Welfare State, Law and Order and Human Rights. I'd say they're the 3 big things in determining what party you should join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    I don't think any of them love Grammar Schools anymore, they think it's 'unfair'.

Well it depends what you think of things such as the Welfare State, Law and Order and Human Rights. I'd say they're the 3 big things in determining what party you should join.
    I didn't support the war in the Iraq, but I was even more vehemently opposed to Labour's infringements of human rights - 90-day detention et al, although I'm not sure if the Conservatives voted for that too.
    What do you mean exactly by law and order? I should choose one party over the other if I like it when crime is lowered..?
    Probably in the right-wing of the Labour party in welfare terms..

ReputationRep:
    I didn't support the war in the Iraq, but I was even more vehemently opposed to Labour's infringements of human rights - 90-day detention et al, although I'm not sure if the Conservatives voted for that too.
    What do you mean exactly by law and order? I should choose one party over the other if I like it when crime is lowered..?
    Probably in the right-wing of the Labour party in welfare terms..
    Well what do you regard as more important - Rehabilitation or Punishment?
    Do you think criminals are born that way or their environment contributes and makes them like that?

Things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I am rather interested in politics, and would like to do more than read about the various happenings, so what about joining a party? Yes, yes.. that

I don't want to join one of those little parties, because they'll probably never do anything much. So:

Labour. Well their drug policy is way up the left, and they like comprehensive schools.. **** that

Conservative. They're largely aristocratic, but at least they like grammar schools. But then their Chancellor is interested in "tax simplification", by which he means taxing the poor, proportionately speaking, as much as the rich. That's a bit regressive. No...

Liberal Democrats. Liars. Done.

My information is probably all wrong. Could anyone convince me of a party?
    Don't join Labour because before you know it they would bring to the UK the holocaust. Their policy is very flexible, to say the least - in that there is NO POLICY to speak of. Here's an example - David Cameron secures a freeze of 2.9% in the EU budget, and Ed Miliband (as such a highly pro-european individual - or so he claims) attacks this as being too high an increase. If, by contrast, the PM had secured a 0% increase, then I am willing to bet Miliband would have attacked him for 'undermining Europe'. What a *******.

Join Conservatives - you know where they stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    Don't join Labour because before you know it they would bring to the UK the holocaust. Their policy is very flexible, to say the least - in that there is NO POLICY to speak of. Here's an example - David Cameron secures a freeze of 2.9% in the EU budget, and Ed Miliband (as such a highly pro-european individual - or so he claims) attacks this as being too high an increase. If, by contrast, the PM had secured a 0% increase, then I am willing to bet Miliband would have attacked him for 'undermining Europe'. What a *******.

Join Conservatives - you know where they stand.
    Well that's the job of opposition, isn't it? To scrutinise the executive. Miliband does that.

ReputationRep:
    If they don't want grammar schools, they have little to offer me
    Go for Labour my friend. Truly the only progressive party left in British Politics. Under Ed Miliband the party has never been more appealing. We have a new found optimism and desire for social justice across our country. Policy aside, it is morally the correct thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I am rather interested in politics, and would like to do more than read about the various happenings, so what about joining a party? Yes, yes.. that

I don't want to join one of those little parties, because they'll probably never do anything much. So:

Labour. Well their drug policy is way up the left, and they like comprehensive schools.. **** that

Conservative. They're largely aristocratic, but at least they like grammar schools. But then their Chancellor is interested in "tax simplification", by which he means taxing the poor, proportionately speaking, as much as the rich. That's a bit regressive. No...

Liberal Democrats. Liars. Done.

My information is probably all wrong. Could anyone convince me of a party?
    Why do you need to join a party? You don't need to join a party to learn more about politics. All you get from joining a party is several emails a month saying how great they are doing - I never bother to read them - and then letters and stuff.
    If you want to learn more about politics I would say read the newspapers, get a varied source, so switch between the Guardian, the Economist and the Times and also use the BBC too
    Having said this all, you don't need to fully support every policy of the party you support because that is quite impossible. Instead, if there is a policy you feel strongly about but they don't feel the same (and your party is in power) then join a pressure group. Because they are good ways of getting across your views on a single policy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    That said I'm not sure why you'd support grammars anyway-they where and are a failure in general terms.
    Oh shut up, you're talking complete rubbish! So much rubbish it's almost laughable..... !

Grammar schools were a failure?

Is that why Oxbridge accepted more state pupils in the 1950s when there were more Grammar Schools?

Is that why social mobility was greater for bright poor pupils when Grammars existed everywhere? Oh dont tell me...... now they've got an ACADEMY to help them..... (that's if Marlon doesn't stab them in the playground).

Lincolnshire and Kent have better average GCSE grades per pupil than most comprehensive counties. Failure? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    and are generally dominated by middle class pupils
    Social class and parents educational achievement is still the key determinant of how well a child does in school-not grammar schools.
    Well that's an interesting argument, so does that mean the Labour party will stop throwing money at problem childen because the problem actually exists with the family?

(Funny and Labour have never really supported the concept of family either).

by middle class pupils whose parents crowd around areas with grammars
    Attention, attention...... Grammar schools don't have catchment areas

Next ill-informed BS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future_hopeful_uk)
    Oh shut up, you're talking complete rubbish! So much rubbish it's almost laughable..... !

Grammar schools were a failure?
    In terms of overall effect at the moment yes. Basically.
    Is that why Oxbridge accepted more state pupils in the 1950s when there were more Grammar Schools?
    Lot of reasons for that mate-to try and attribute it to grammar schools is incredably foolish. To quote a few: Higher value of edcfucation in lower-class families, the expansion of industry and better paid jobs following the second world war the the late 1950's boom, less overall deprivation, trade union schools and weekend programns, private schools that where less geared towards academia and so forth.
    Is that why social mobility was greater for bright poor pupils when Grammars existed everywhere? Oh dont tell me...... now they've got an ACADEMY to help them..... (that's if Marlon doesn't stab them in the playground).
    Theres a fair few reasons above and if i decided to delve into the litriture then I could pull a few more out of the wreakage. To simply attribute one factor as
    Lincolnshire and Kent have better average GCSE grades per pupil than most comprehensive counties. Failure? :rolleyes:
    Have you looked at the class breakdowns of those counties? There is a direct corrolation between education results and the class breakdowns of counties. However there is also a direct corrolation between grammar schools and failing, poor copmrehensives surrounding them-which is why more than 20% of Kent Schools are failing to reach required targets-dispite the postive class makeup and the grammars.

Also take a look at the class breakdown of those in the grammars....

Well that's an interesting argument, so does that mean the Labour party will stop throwing money at problem childen because the problem actually exists with the family?

(Funny and Labour have never really supported the concept of family either).
    It takes a dual track approch and its not a quick fix issue wither-you can't simply say 'its all families' and abandon people. You need to increase the levels at which people value education, increase funding and quality of teaching and schools and work on the social causes. Simply saying that grammars are a magic soloution-which they evidently aren't (as the stats show, look at the whole system adn not just the grammars performance, though their value added is also facinating)

Attention, attention...... Grammar schools don't have catchment areas
    Right, so your saying that theres not an area around grammars where they recruit most of their pupils?

Okay. Now thats a very interesting arguement. Because I can really remember all those kids from bradford and leeds who went to my grammar (oh... wait. There wern't any.)

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Now thats a very interesting arguement. Because I can really remember all those kids from bradford and leeds who went to my grammar (oh... wait. There wern't any.)
    Do you know what a 'catchment area' is? If you dont live in 'that' area, then you cannot be admitted to the school.

Just because a majority of students come from a particular area doesnt mean a catchment area exists......

ReputationRep:
    For someone who is rather interested in politics, you seem to have pretty uninformed political views.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives voted against it and Tory peers defeated it in the House of Lords.

Conservatives also opposed all other infringements on civil liberties, including the DNA databank of innocent people and the power given to police to remotely access and search computers without a warrant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future_hopeful_uk)
    Do you know what a 'catchment area' is? If you dont live in 'that' area, then you cannot be admitted to the school.

Just because a majority of students come from a particular area doesnt mean a catchment area exists......
    Okay, catchment area was the wrong terminology-I can accept that. But are you trying to deny that grammars take most of there intake (if not all) from the local area and that those areas are generally populated by the middle and upper classes?

Nice bit of nit-picking to avoid my central arguement BTW

ReputationRep:
    Fact is, none of the political parties are satisfactory.

The Tories have some sensible policies, but there are many I don't agree with. The other problem is that many of them are very stuck up and have no idea what working class life is like.

It'll be interesting to see what Ed Miliband does, exactly, cos atm nobody really has a clue. The Lib Dems will not survive outside of this coalition, so a new 3rd party could be formed.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the class breakdowns of those counties? There is a direct corrolation between education results and the class breakdowns of counties. However there is also a direct corrolation between grammar schools and failing, poor copmrehensives surrounding them-which is why more than 20% of Kent Schools are failing to reach required targets-dispite the postive class makeup and the grammars.
    ??

If Kent grammars take the top 25% of students, then of course the secondary moderns are going to perform less than comprehensives (who have would-be grammar school pupils) from non-grammar counties..... :rolleyes:

!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.