Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Oddities of Women in the West Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Examples?
    Well a read of threads in H&R sub-forum gives an idea but there's been a fair few complaints of boyfriends treating them badly, being all macho, insensitive etc. But then you get girls saying their boyfriend is so nice but tbh they're bored of him because he's always nice, they want someone more exciting. However then you wait a few months and they're regretting the decision! It goes round and round.. The old ******* vs "the nice guy" debate.

Although not the same another issue is girls saying one thing and meaning another, wanting men to work out subtleties, when they don't they are angry even though they clearly realise their partner would do something if they knew the problem, but men aren't always great at hints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    Why is that 'more of a male thing', do you think?

And by excessive (and overplayed) cowardice, I mean squealing all the time at the slightest things (which I have seen far, far too often)

(Yes, I do have some friends. They are mostly boys, admittedly. Always have been.)
    I mean that males are naturally the ones that would go out and hunt and other cavemanny things (not saying women can't do this but meh) which obviously is more physical than raising children although you could joke you need muscles raising children.

I don't exactly squeal at a lot of things, I don't particularly like spiders/insects but I won't scream and run if I seen one, although I can see where you may get that idea from when you look at a few of my friends

ReputationRep:
    In the words of N.W.A, a ***** is a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Thats not fair, it sounds like you're attacking the OP there. Women in the east are only like that because thats how their society is, its not their fault. If you go back a few 100 years in western countries women would probably be very similar to how you just described. Societies change at different rates, which is why you have some tribes in africa and south america who are probably the same as they were 100s of years ago. The only reason you think those things are strange are because they arent found in our society, if you lived there, you probably wouldnt find it strange. Is it a bad thing? depends who you ask.
    I was attacking the OP, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I get were your coming from, generally western women cry and squeal/scream easily and far too often. It's surpirsing and frankly, extremely childish.
    (Original post by INTJ)
    I was attacking the OP, lol.
    The OP is english, not eastern......:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    The OP is english, not eastern......:rolleyes:
    Doesn't bother me. I'll attack anyone, I will. *throws vegetables at you instead*

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed many oddities in women's behaviour (obviously not all women, but a sizeable majority) over my short 16 years.

-The obsession with 'femininity', shaving the body, long or fanciful hairstyles, makeup, clothes etc. Girls wanting to be feminine isn't unusual, and women across the world do it.
    -Do not often make decisions very quickly, if at all (have noticed this in the difference between going out with female & male friends) I've never noticed this with my friends.
    -Not much pride in physical strength or 'handiness' (DIY, for example) Depends which girl you talk to and how they were brought up. My dad made me learn to change a tyre in under 10 minutes before he put me on the car insurance when I was 17.
    -Excessive cowardice (often exaggerated) Again, this depends on the girl, and I wouldn't say that it applies to me
    -The tendency to gossip I am bad for gossiping but I know plenty of boys who are equally bad
    -More revealing clothing (Tight, reveals breasts, legs etc.) That's just fashion. In a hundred years time one of the fashion houses might decide to bring ponchos back into fashion or something. Also it's no different from those guys wearing tight white t-shirts to show off their gym muscles.

Now, I would like to say now that none of this is exclusive to women, but I have seen it arise more prominently in groups of women. I would also like to say that by no means am I saying men have no faults, but I am focusing on women for the time being.

Discuss? Explain?
    Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Also OP, many girls will say they enjoy these things, regardless of whether they actually do as they are afraid as being labeled as weird. Look at the vast number of people that do these things, they can't all enjoy it!
    Why can't we all enjoy it? I really don't understand your point.

I enjoy getting ready, doing my hair & makeup, shopping, being femenine etc. I don't say that to 'fit in' or whatever tosh you're implying. I don't enjoy gossiping, hence why I rarely gossip.

Anyone who knows me personally (and probably those who know me on here to be honest) knows I don't shy away from saying what I really think, whether it's popular or not! So if I hated it, I would say.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed many oddities in women's behaviour (obviously not all women, but a sizeable majority) over my short 16 years.

-The obsession with 'femininity', shaving the body, long or fanciful hairstyles, makeup, clothes etc.
    -Do not often make decisions very quickly, if at all (have noticed this in the difference between going out with female & male friends)
    -Not much pride in physical strength or 'handiness' (DIY, for example)
    -Excessive cowardice (often exaggerated)
    -The tendency to gossip
    -More revealing clothing (Tight, reveals breasts, legs etc.)

Now, I would like to say now that none of this is exclusive to women, but I have seen it arise more prominently in groups of women. I would also like to say that by no means am I saying men have no faults, but I am focusing on women for the time being.

Discuss? Explain?
    So you want a man to walk around with his penis hanging out? How does revealing clothing exactly work for a man?

ReputationRep:

-The obsession with 'femininity', shaving the body, long or fanciful hairstyles, makeup, clothes etc.
    -Do not often make decisions very quickly, if at all (have noticed this in the difference between going out with female & male friends)
    -Not much pride in physical strength or 'handiness' (DIY, for example)
    -Excessive cowardice (often exaggerated)
    -The tendency to gossip
    -More revealing clothing (Tight, reveals breasts, legs etc.)

Discuss? Explain?
    How did you work out the excessive cowardice one?
    The more revealing clothes thing has been going on with women since the 60's.

ReputationRep:
    1. There's nothing odd about any of that, it's called "doing things", or belonging to a group or culture or whatever.

2. There's nothing Western about any of those things, they are very much present in the East as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Originally Posted by najinaji

-The obsession with 'femininity', shaving the body, long or fanciful hairstyles, makeup, clothes etc. Girls wanting to be feminine isn't unusual, and women across the world do it.
    -Do not often make decisions very quickly, if at all (have noticed this in the difference between going out with female & male friends) I've never noticed this with my friends.
    -Not much pride in physical strength or 'handiness' (DIY, for example) Depends which girl you talk to and how they were brought up. My dad made me learn to change a tyre in under 10 minutes before he put me on the car insurance when I was 17.
    -Excessive cowardice (often exaggerated) Again, this depends on the girl, and I wouldn't say that it applies to me
    -The tendency to gossip I am bad for gossiping but I know plenty of boys who are equally bad
    -More revealing clothing (Tight, reveals breasts, legs etc.) That's just fashion. In a hundred years time one of the fashion houses might decide to bring ponchos back into fashion or something. Also it's no different from those guys wearing tight white t-shirts to show off their gym muscles.

Discuss? Explain?

Does that help?
    This and to its a lads fault :O see below

OP: how do we have anything to do with it?
    so we like tight cloths and exposed breasts! but hey you chose to wear the cloths! im sure if it was our fault you'd all (okay maybe just the majority) would be walking round naked!

we can't help what we like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Why can't we all enjoy it? I really don't understand your point.

I enjoy getting ready, doing my hair & makeup, shopping, being femenine etc. I don't say that to 'fit in' or whatever tosh you're implying. I don't enjoy gossiping, hence why I rarely gossip.

Anyone who knows me personally (and probably those who know me on here to be honest) knows I don't shy away from saying what I really think, whether it's popular or not! So if I hated it, I would say.
    Well thats all well and good for you, however I said they cant all enjoy it. Im pretty sure that many girls just do these things because they feel they have to or because their friends do it. The OP for example, said she used to do these things but she didnt enjoy them. You dont believe every single girl that does these things enjoys it do you? Conformity can be an ugly thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.