Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should police use watercanons at violent protests? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Your views?
    Better than getting the guns out. Then the stupid protestors would complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Oh, really.
    The amount of true cases of Police brutality are tiny compared to the 10,000s serving officers we have. Generally it's those who err on the wrong side of the law that have the worst view of it.

Plus, it's quite obvious a man in riot gear will be able to do more damage to one without.
    That does not legitimise acts of violence towards them or rid them of the right to defend themselves while trying to do their job.

Likewise being a student, unarmoured or unarmed does not give you the right to break the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    The amount of true cases of Police brutality are tiny compared to the 10,000s serving officers we have. Generally it's those who err on the wrong side of the law that have the worst view of it.

That is no legitimise acts of violence towards them or rid them of the right to defend themselves while trying to do their job.
    I'm talking about the day in hand, not the whole police force. Eh?

Defend themselves from what? Getting trampled by your own horse? Or being swung at by a flimsy banner stick, while you're behind a riot shield with full face helmet? Or, maybe "defending" yourself from a "violent" protester, so you put them on the operation table. Or what, a disabled man?

This is just a slice of some.

"Likewise being a student, unarmoured or unarmed does not give you the right to break the law. "

Genius.

ReputationRep:

Defend themselves from what? Getting trampled by your own horse? Or being swung at by a flimsy banner stick, while you're behind a riot shield with full face helmet? Or, maybe "defending" yourself from a "violent" protester, so you put them on the operation table. Or what, a disabled man?

This is just a slice of some.

"Likewise being a student, unarmoured or unarmed does not give you the right to break the law. "

Genius.
    This

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tfa.net/the_freedom_assoc...and-riots.html

ReputationRep:
    Only if they can attach spray nozzles to them. That way, it'll be like a massive wet t-shirt contest :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I was making a reference to an earlier post made about the whole profession.

Defend themselves from what? Getting trampled by your own horse? Or being swung at by a flimsy banner stick, while you're behind a riot shield with full face helmet?
    Against bricks, chunks of concrete, fireworks, paint bombs, railings and fencing being used as battering rams, etc.

Or, maybe "defending" yourself from a "violent" protester, so you put them on the operation table.
    If needs must. Likewise sometimes people make mistakes.

Or what, a disabled man?
    We don't know the full story so you nor I can really comment on it further. Personally I find it very suspicious that it took him several days to get around to making a complaint.

I'm sure if you took the time to interview some of the officers there you'd have an equally long thread detailing the atrocious behavior of some students.

Genius.
    Well sadly some of the 'highly educated' students here seem to think differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Sure, why not... it's not as if they're dangerous or anything: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101006-30295.html
    Wow, I was in favour of them until this. I didn't think they'd be that dangerous.

Poor guy

No to watercanons!

ReputationRep:
    I was making a reference to an earlier post made about the whole profession.

Right. So apt in quoting it to me, then.

Against bricks, chunks of concrete, fireworks, paint bombs, railings and fencing being used as battering rams, etc.

Sorry, how many police officers were injured compared to protesters? I guess riot gear helps, eh!

If needs must. Likewise sometimes people make mistakes.

"Mistakes" which cost lives.

We don't know the full story so you nor I can really comment on it further. Personally I find it very suspicious that it took him several days to get around to making a complaint.

Have you seen the video? Besides, when I was at police line I saw a disabled guy on a wheel chair, he got pulled off for merely being there. Where you there?

I'm sure if you took the time to interview some of the officers there you'd have an equally long thread detailing the atrocious behavior of some students.

What, the same officers who refuse to put number badges on?

Well sadly some of the 'highly educated' students here seem to think differently.

That's because protests have just become a means of being kettled.
    Shouldn't they know by now that kettling can turn a peaceful demonstrations into an angry, frustrated crowd?

I just can't understand why they keep resorting to it, unless that's precisely what they want: to anger the protesters and put them on the brink of violence so they can identify and arrest the "extremists".

In that case, they should probably arrest themselves afterwards for incitation to violence.

ReputationRep:
    the purple shall govern

ReputationRep:
    Nah, tear gas ftw. Followed up by a beanbag gun if someone sticks around/is hyper prepared and wore a gas mask.

ReputationRep:
    Right. So apt in quoting it to me, then.
    Because you made a comment in reference to my earlier comment.

Sorry, how many police officers were injured compared to protesters? I guess riot gear helps, eh!
    However as you agreed with me earlier that does not legitimise acts of violence towards them or prevent them from defending themselves.

"Mistakes" which cost lives.
    Not in this instance.

Have you seen the video? Besides, when I was at police line I saw a disabled guy on a wheel chair, he got pulled off for merely being there. Where you there?
    Like I said again, you nor I don't know the full story, we don't know what happened in the build up to that event and we don't know the rationale behind it. We're restricted by what we saw at a distance or a brief clip on the tv which is nothing.

What, the same officers who refuse to put number badges on?
    Probably yes.

Believe it or not but people like to make fraudulent allegations against police officers.

That's because protests have just become a means of being kettled.

Shouldn't they know by now that kettling can turn a peaceful demonstrations into an angry, frustrated crowd?

I just can't understand why they keep resorting to it, unless that's precisely what they want: to anger the protesters and put them on the brink of violence so they can identify and arrest the "extremists".

In that case, they should probably arrest themselves afterwards for incitation to violence.
    Why kettle? Because there is no other realistic option. If protesters are allowed to run amok in the center of London the Police would be criticised for not taking harsh enough action or control of the situation. However, if they were to jump in with the tear gas and the water canons, or even live rounds, they'd be criticised for being too harsh.

If people just accepted that the Police were just trying to do their job and calmed down they'd be allowed on their way much quicker and with much less aggro. One the otherhand there is a large ground of people who use kettling as an excuse to get angry and break the law which means that people get detained for longer, the Police take harsher action, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    As a general rule of thumb, anything described by the word 'canon' is dangerous.
    lmfao. Noted.

ReputationRep:
    Because you made a comment in reference to my earlier comment.

However as you agreed with me earlier that does not legitimise acts of violence towards them or prevent them from defending themselves.

All due to one thing.

Not in this instance.

Really? Really? That's what you have to say? Neither was the fire extinguisher incident, but people like you like to bring that up. Á la Ian Tomlinson and Alfie.

Like I said again, you nor I don't know the full story, we don't know what happened in the build up to that event and we don't know the rationale behind it. We're restricted by what we saw at a distance or a brief clip on the tv which is nothing.

I was right next behind him at the police line.

Probably yes.

Believe it or not but people like to make fraudulent allegations against police officers.

Gosh, I wonder why that is. I saw several police officers whose number badges came off, and others who simply didn't have them on.

Why kettle? Because there is no other realistic option. If protesters are allowed to run amok in the center of London the Police would be criticised for not taking harsh enough action or control of the situation. However, if they were to jump in with the tear gas and the water canons, or even live rounds, they'd be criticised for being too harsh.

If people just accepted that the Police were just trying to do their job and calmed down they'd be allowed on their way much quicker and with much less aggro. One the otherhand there is a large ground of people who use kettling as an excuse to get angry and break the law which means that people get detained for longer, the Police take harsher action, etc.
    On the day march was peaceful until the police kettled. There were police walking along with the march, peacefully. No missiles were launched at them. I think you should take yourself back to the 30th, when protesters successfully maneuvered themselves to avoid the kettle. Did they destroy London?

All the points you've tried to make are superficial, in view of this. Plus, the very fact that you weren't even there.

ReputationRep:
    Still doesn't give the police officers the right to break the law and remove their ID numbers.
    In any case, considering the IPCC is so biased towards the police, the likelihood of real allegations getting the officer in any real trouble is small, let alone the chance of a false one.

ReputationRep:
    They should.... make it a wet t-shirt party... but its a bit cold outside at the moment :\

ReputationRep:
    If they use water cannon then the UK will become the same as China and Chile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    If they use water cannon then the UK will become the same as China and Chile.
    How do you figure?

ReputationRep:
    Something has to change. Fighting fire with fire probably wont be effective though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.