Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview with the disabled protester who was pulled form his wheelchair Watch

ReputationRep:
    Disagree with what he says about the police in general, but this case was pretty horrific and those involved are going to have a hard time justifying what they did.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQueen)
    The police kept saying that on the day: you knew the risks by coming to the protest. I was tempted to say so if someonecalls you saying they've been raped after walking stupidly down a dark alley way you would say the same?
    Thanks for that false analogy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The police could only pick on a disabled person??

Just shows that they're massive pussies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I assumed you were talking about the wheelchair incident.

In that case again it won't be attempted murder because murder was not the intent of the officer. If it was then the idiot throwing the fire extinguisher should have been arrested for attempted murder.

Because we do not know all the details its pointless to speculate it may not even go to court if it emerges that the guy attacked the officer.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=28904044

This dad didn't have intent to murder, just castrate, but its still being classed as attempted murder :borat:

ReputationRep:
    This guy went to my school. Didn't know he was so controversial.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=28904044

This dad didn't have intent to murder, just castrate, but its still being classed as attempted murder :borat:
    :facepalm2: You consider a police officer hitting someone on the head in an act that could have been and most likely was self defence as being the same as a man going to someone's house and cutting off a guys balls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    :facepalm2: You consider a police officer hitting someone on the head in an act that could have been and most likely was self defence as being the same as a man going to someone's house and cutting off a guys balls?
    Noooo, I wasn't saying that. Oops.
    You said that to be attempted murder, you have to have intent to kill - well usually not so, like in this case, he didn't mean to kill the guy, but he's still being charged with attempted murder.

"Dobby did not mean to kill, only maim, or seriously injure!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Its gone to the IPCC which is good.
    Who will do bugger all as usual.

(Original post by JordE)
    Its also interesting that if you look closely at the footage you see another police officer step in and literally drag the offending officer away by his jacket, using some force.
    Agreed. Thats something that I noticed too.

(Original post by Arekkusu)
    I'm sure the police guy didn't mean to cause such injuries; what on earth would be the point?
    Because some (not all, but some) coppers are thugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    The wheel chair he was in for the second incident didn't look like the same one - looked like a bog-standard 'DIY' wheelchair.

Doesn't really look like him either tbh. You sure it's him?
    I went to school with him. It's definitely Jody. He has at least 2 wheelchairs, possibly more.

I don't think that he would have been egging the police on or being abusive. He is intelligent enough to know that that is infantile and stupid. Clearly the police are just heavy handed thugs.

ReputationRep:
    What the police officer did to him is disgusting but I do not agree with his views on the police in general. In all walks of life you will get people who abuse their power and commit acts such as these.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I support the police - but their behaviour at protests absolutely perplexes me.

It is clear that their only role there is to provoke and incite violence. What other purpose does practices like kettling serve?
    The purpose of kettling is to restrict movement and prevent further damage to property. I don't know why but some people don't like their shops and offices being trashed :rolleyes: The police therefore kettle protesters in areas where they can't cause as much damage and hope to keep them contained until most of them are tired and want to go home.
    The police have to make a decision between kettling or more traditional riot control methods. So far they have opted for kettling but I've heard rumours that they're preparing to use tear gas if there are any more violent protests. The police are actually quite liberal. In most European countries the police would have started using water canons and bean bag shotguns the moment it got violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    This is the other incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaqsH3f5YKM

It appears he actually can control his own wheelchair.

Edit: I think what the police did was disgusting.
    Thats not even him. Why spread disinformation.:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] - for anybody else who wishes to exercise their right to free speech against a man whose contemptible behaviour is paid for by YOUR TV Licences.

Give him hell. I certainly did.
    The BBC controls what he can and can't say. Did you notice how the news reader kept steering the conversation away to whether he will take legal action whenever the protester said something to influential for the masses to hear regarding the actual cuts taking place?

Ben Brown is just the fall guy for the BBC. Don't be fooled by them. If any one deserves a *******ing it's BBC!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    People on this thread who appear to have known him have said it is him :dontknow: And if you had read my earlier posts, I acknowledged that the wheelchairs were different in each incident. Chill.
    That's definitely not him. You don't have to know him to see that. I don't know him (although he went to my school) but it's obvious that's not him.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but the individual journalists who follow such orders are as responsible for it as the BBC policy itself.

The BBCs intention to distract would be nothing if its journalists refused to go along with it - and so they are as deserving of the abuse as the BBC itself.
    True but it's just a shame the corporate heads at the BBC News seem to have gotten away with it leaving much of the attention on the news reader.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Noooo, I wasn't saying that. Oops.
    You said that to be attempted murder, you have to have intent to kill - well usually not so, like in this case, he didn't mean to kill the guy, but he's still being charged with attempted murder.

"Dobby did not mean to kill, only maim, or seriously injure!"
    Cutting off a guys testicles tends to come with intent to murder you would know it was likely the guy would die
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Self defence? Are you joking?

We're talking about a guy surrounded by an army of colleagues, bearing multiple forms of weaponry, and covered head to toe in protective gear.

There's very little that an unarmed, unprotected student could have unleashed upon such an officer that would justify that student being attacked with such ferocity that emergency brain surgery is the only reason he managed to survive the assault.

A police officer should never, EVER hit somebody who doesn't pose FATAL or CATASTROPHIC damage across the skull. It is far too dangerous and only the most extreme of circumstances would warrant it.

There is NO WAY the student posed enough of a danger as to justify being struck by a government-funded truncheon across the head.
    Basically your entire reply is based on your own speculation so Im going to say somehting I've said time and time again. We don't know that facts so we can't really comment however this sort of case would neevr be attempted murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Thanks for that false analogy :rolleyes:
    Maybe not. The law differentiates between putting yourself in a risky situation or being in a risky situation and the harm that eventuates from that risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Cutting off a guys testicles tends to come with intent to murder you would know it was likely the guy would die
    Intent to cause GBH also counts towards murder.

Intention requires the intent to kill or intent to commit GBH.

Just saying so others realise this (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    The purpose of kettling is to restrict movement and prevent further damage to property. I don't know why but some people don't like their shops and offices being trashed :rolleyes: The police therefore kettle protesters in areas where they can't cause as much damage and hope to keep them contained until most of them are tired and want to go home.
    The police have to make a decision between kettling or more traditional riot control methods. So far they have opted for kettling but I've heard rumours that they're preparing to use tear gas if there are any more violent protests. The police are actually quite liberal. In most European countries the police would have started using water canons and bean bag shotguns the moment it got violent.
    Rubbish! I was there. I went on the march, got to Parliament Square, realised this wasn't a proper protest and decided to leave within minutes of getting there but the police wouldn't let us leave. 99% of the damage to property that happened on that day happened after the police kettled students in. They arrested the worst offenders around 6pm. Most of the criminal damage came from a small group of people in a very condensed area. Yet even though they were arrested early on, we were still kettled until 11.20 that evening. They kept a peaceful group of about 100 of us who just wanted to go home, were not violent etc for hours. It was unacceptable. The police officers kept saying to us we know you're not violent but we can't let anyone go. It was a complete overreaction and the media have been awful in reporting about this. I saw the most violent scenes from about 100m away by accident while i was walking around trying to find an exit, and they were NO where near as bad as they looked on the television footage - the moment a police officer appeared in the treasury everyone ran away!!!! It lasted 20 seconds max!! Kettling makes young people irate and is not the solution. The solution would have been to arrest the troublemakers early on and let everyone else, the 90% of us who were peaceful go home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.