Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Water Cannon at Student Demos? Conservatives Say NO... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Funny you say that. Some students made giant foam shields as 'books' with titles e.g. Brave New World and used these to protect themselves from police
    Students would rather destroy books rather than studying them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Students would rather destroy books rather than studying them.
    Indeed, hence the mass student attack on libraries and bookshops.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Funny you say that. Some students made giant foam shields as 'books' with titles e.g. Brave New World and used these to protect themselves from police
    And you claim protesters showed up to be peaceful:rolleyes:

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. The protesters would 'up their game' and start using molotov cocktails and the like.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      And you claim protesters showed up to be peaceful:rolleyes:
      1. Shields to protect themselves from being beaten by police. Self defense is not violence
      2. Most people who attended were not there with the intention of causing violence
      3. A small minority were
      4. The vandalism and violence took off AFTER people were kettled, beaten and charged upon by horses
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      1. Shields to protect themselves from being beaten by police. Self defense is not violence
      2. Most people who attended were not there with the intention of causing violence
      3. A small minority were
      4. The vandalism and violence took off AFTER people were kettled, beaten and charged upon by horses
      you really need to get your facts right. Its getting old.

No one shows up to a protest with bats flares shields and other stuff throw at police if they intend to be peaceful. Sure a minority started the violence which started before the kettle but plenty of others happily joined in.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)

No one shows up to a protest with bats flares shields and other stuff throw at police if they intend to be peaceful. Sure a minority started the violence which started before the kettle but plenty of others happily joined in.
      You need to go watch a protest and see what really happens rather than believe what the popular media touts as 'facts'. It is frustrating to read these 'facts' you state which bear no relation to reality, no matter what evidence is presented to you.

I have not heard of any students turning up with bats. A small number had shields (non violent) and yes some flares were thrown.

The police turned up with a baton each and various other equipment.

Might I restate, the majority of protesters were unarmed and unarmored and did not want to get caught up in violence.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      You need to go watch a protest and see what really happen rather than believe what the popular media touts as 'facts'.

I have not heard of any students turning up with bats. A small number had shields (non violent) and yes some flares were thrown.

Might I restate, the majority of protesters were unarmed and unarmored and did not want to get caught up in violence.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...-fees-violence

Yeah its great when the policer show up unarmed the students attack buildings and illegally occupy them and trash them

ReputationRep:
      Good. This Conservative (not conservative) agrees.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)

Bats? I didn't see anyone with a bat. Flares, sure. But they are hardly dangerous, unless you try to put them out by sitting on one. Shields were pure improvisation, they were actually home-made-gigantic-sized-books.

All her points are valid, you haven't disproved anything. For example, there were lots of police walking along with the march, "keeping an eye". I'm quite sure none of them had "stuff" thrown at them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...-fees-violence

Yeah its great when the policer show up unarmed the students attack buildings and illegally occupy them and trash them
      Could you please highlight the evidence to support your assertions? I am unsure as to which parts of the article you are referring to.

At the 9/12 protest, I am not aware that any buildings were illegally occupied, let alone trashed and entered.

PS: Cameron's statements don't count as evidence. His statements are inconsistent with video evidence of what happened.

ReputationRep:
      You need to go watch a protest and see what really happens rather than believe what the popular media touts as 'facts'. It is frustrating to read these 'facts' you state which bear no relation to reality, no matter what evidence is presented to you.

I was at Millbank and I can assure you that there were many more dicks in the crowd than the police line.

Some of the police were overly aggressive, sure, but none of them were tearing off glass shards and throwing them at the least defended people they could see.

Fact is that hear-say evidence from people with an axe to grind, such as yourself, is worth less than the print on the Daily Mail when it comes to trustworthy opinions.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FyreFight)
      I was at Millbank and I can assure you that there were many more dicks in the crowd than the police line.

Some of the police were overly aggressive, sure, but none of them were tearing off glass shards and throwing them at the least defended people they could see.

Fact is that hear-say evidence from people with an axe to grind, such as yourself, is worth less than the print on the Daily Mail when it comes to trustworthy opinions.
      Well that's obvious. The police presence at Millbank was tiny compared to the protestors. And no, the only "****" was the **** who threw that fire extinguisher.

ReputationRep:

You don't go to a protest for anything but violent purpose if you have a home made riotshield... probably most strongly highlighted from about 50 seconds in this video

funny how they have homemade shields and decide to charge the police with them

You sound almost surprised that the police turned up with a baton each? They were hardly going to stand there handing out flowers and hugs.

ReputationRep:
      Not only do I think that water cannons are wrong as they attack people indiscriminately and knowing our power hungry police will be miss used. They send out a terrible message to the world. Remember (well we wont remember but would have heard of) how the USA looked(quite rightly looked bad) when the set water cannons (dogs etc..) on the school kids protesting in the civil rights movement. We have no need for them and they should not in my mind be introduced.

ReputationRep:

I was not at Millbank so my comments largely refer to the 9/12 protest. From what I have read, the event at Millbank sound very different to the events on 9/12, but having not watched Millbank I do not feel I can make sufficiently well informed comment on Millbank.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by channy)
      Well that's obvious. The police presence at Millbank was tiny compared to the protestors. And no, the only "****" was the **** who threw that fire extinguisher.
      Guess you missed the bit in my post where I pointed out the guys throwing glass shards at the police.

Or the ones who were picking up bricks, rubble and burning debris and chucking that at the police too.

Aa lot of people were trying to hospitalise policemen. No policeman was trying to hospitalise students.

ReputationRep:
      What happens when you put the kettle on? It boils.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Prince Rupert)
      I bet if it was left to the public, the majority would not only have the police user water cannon, they'd be given rifles as well but let's carry on pretending the majority of people in this county don't mind a bunch of workshy yobs and students who think the world owes them a living causing £10,000s of damage in the name of lawful protest

The irony of the Tories ruling this out when they've been consistently labelled 'right wing' by the protesting morons on here and beyond is hilarious.'Right wing' is the BNP, who exclusively attract racists, homophobes and general facists, not a mainstream political party that 1 fifth of the population voted for at the last election
      The BNP may be socially right wing, but are economically more left wing...

ReputationRep:
      Guess you missed the bit in my post where I pointed out the guys throwing glass shards at the police.

Or the ones who were picking up bricks, rubble and burning debris and chucking that at the police too.

Fact is that a lot of people were trying to injure policemen. No policeman was trying to hospitalise students.
      Likewise, I doubt the protesters who threw **** were trying to hospitalise police officers. The fact is, yes there were a minority of idiots throwing stuff. This gives the police the "moral high ground" to use militaristic tactics, á la Peterloo. Which, in turn angers the otherwise peaceful protesters.

I'm no advocate of violence, but it's easy to lose your head when you see some of this **** that goes on, on both sides. Which I'm sure you know.

edit: "Aa lot of people were trying to hospitalise policemen. No policeman was trying to hospitalise students."

Willing to bet your uni funds on it?
      Sorry, how many police officers were seriously injured, in all the protests so far? A pittance compared to the amount of protesters. Which isn't suprising.

The fact is, the police handled peaceful protesters badly.

Hah.

Cameron condemns the mob.

So did the French King and his wife.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.