Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerd Loki)
    Obviously not. However, the function of the Society is to spread awareness of the aims and merits of communism, and I believe that the internet is the ideal medium through which to achieve this in a modern world.
    This forum is infested with Thatcherites and Labour apologists. Just in case you didn't notice.

Out of curiosity, which sort of communism do you subscribe to?

(Original post by HarryA)
    I never said equality is ludicrous. I said sharing money (which is not equality) is ludicrous.

Communist is communist. It never worked in Russia/USSR and isn't working now.

You also need to continue your studies in politics, law and history.
    Why oh WHY is it SO hard to comprehend that just because someone labels themselves a certain way and adopts a red flag, they don't turn into "Communist states".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    I prefer Marxism.
    Would you like to join the society? This opinion can be accomodated.

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to join the society? This opinion can be accomodated.
    I propose a "/Marxism".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeartOfDarkness)
    This forum is infested with Thatcherites and Labour apologists. Just in case you didn't notice.

Out of curiosity, which sort of communism do you subscribe to?

Why oh WHY is it SO hard to comprehend that just because someone labels themselves a certain way and adopts a red flag, they don't turn into "Communist states".
    I identify most closely with Luxemburgism.

I completely agree with your second point. States such as China are barely more communist than the USA.

ReputationRep:
    You admit yourself that the crisis is a result of the existence of capitalist society. Communism is not a 'utopian vision of perfection', it is a perfectly achievable aim.
    I don't think you'd find too many capitalists who'd argue that capitalism has no flaws - simply that it's the best for maximising wealth for the people in it, and increasing freedom as much as possible. Most acknowledge that one of the biggest problems of capitalism is the inherent inequality of outcome that can lead to social problems. I know I do, and I'm an ardent free-market, laissez-faire capitalist.

ReputationRep:
    I identify most closely with Luxemburgism.

I completely agree with your second point. States such as China are barely more communist than the USA.
    :clap2:

So you are an extremist Liberal Democrat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    I propose a "/Marxism".
    I would conider Marxism to fall under the banner of Communism.

ReputationRep:
    :clap2:

So you are an extremist Liberal Democrat.
    Care to explain that comment? Last time I checked, the Lib Dems didn't advocate the abolishment of the capitalist system. Knowing Clegg and co. though, I wouldn't put such a change past them

ReputationRep:
    Care to explain that comment? Last time I checked, the Lib Dems didn't advocate the abolishment of the capitalist system. Knowing Clegg and co. though, I wouldn't put such a change past them
    I wasn't referring to the political party.

ReputationRep:
    What were you refering to?

ReputationRep:
    I would conider Marxism to fall under the banner of Communism.
    Other way round.

ReputationRep:
    You must have. As there is no ideology titled Liberal Democrat. Maybe you mean left-wing.

ReputationRep:
    What were you refering to?
    From what I know (and admittedly that might not be much), Luxemburg advocated a quasi-anarchist state on the principles of democracy. As yet, it appears to me to be a very hollow and incoherent thesis.

I have my doubts about the functioning of democracy as it exists today. You might say that my views are a bit Platonic. Not necessarily implicit that I'm anti-democratic, just not convinced by the form of democracy that is in play today. I believe the next "breakthrough" in political philosophy that is going to have any sort of bearing on the achievement of a good (albeit not perfect) society has to come in the form of advancements in democratic structures.

As such, she just seems very narrow in her perception. It's like taking a word at it's face value rather than dwelling over it trying to find a breakthrough. She just takes left liberalism and combines it with an idealistic perception of democracy with a bit of anarchism thrown in. Just a reactionary thought process to the contemporary situation in the Soviet.

If it's not scientific, it doesn't have a leg to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly. We believe that the current capitalist system that dominates humanity is unsustainable. The workers, upon whose work all human endeavour is dependant, are being oppressed by the ruling classes. Our society seeks to return control over the economy to the people, who can run it so as to benefit the many as opposed to the few. I would suggest that you read an introduction to our ideology, many of which are available, if you wish to further acquaint yourself with our philosophy.
    because this has worked so well for everyone who has tried it in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    You must have. As there is no ideology titled Liberal Democrat. Maybe you mean left-wing.
    Left Liberalism + Social Democrat = Liberal Democrat?

I don't know the "titles". Not that interested in nomenclatures so excuse me for not clarifying earlier.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you would have lived where I live now in the 1950's and 1960's. You would certainly change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Left Liberalism + Social Democrat = Liberal Democrat?
    Not true. You can't have Right Liberalism btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJay91)
    I wish you would have lived where I live now in the 1950's and 1960's. You would certainly change your mind.
    I wish you would live where I am living right now, it would change yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    Not true. You can't have Right Liberalism btw.
    Neo-Liberalism?

ReputationRep:
    I reject the bourgeois notion that you have to read 600 page essays in order to formulate your ideology.
    I suggest you read it because it proves your ideology to be fallacious and, indeed, entirely impossible (hence my suggestion for you to acquaint yourself with the three concepts I mentioned).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.