Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED Watch

ReputationRep:
    Although you seem like a troll, I do agree with what your saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
    Then support political initiatives that allow parents to do this. This just isn't possible for an awful lot of families.
    I support policies that support family values, yes. Why isn't it possible? It's not particularly expensive, any family can do it.

ReputationRep:
    I already have a vast array of historical and fictional novels (literally spilling off the bookshelves) and I'll encourage my children to read them- I'am sure they too will find them interesting. I'm not gonna shove it down their throats and force them to attend camps or whatever though.

ReputationRep:
    My thinks you've been a bit too persuaded by Plato...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I completely agree, and this is how I'll be bringing up mine. Surrounded by books, culture, and class.

I was brought up in a similar way, my parents educated me about current affairs, politics, and bits of history since the age of 5. I started reading the Harry Potter books aged 6, as well as various others. Our house has several hundred historical books, as well as other topics such as artists, fiction, anything really. They always took me for outings to countryside places, stately homes, art galleries, museums etc.

Consequently, I'm a decent human being who deems it unacceptable to vandalise the local bus shelter and mug the elderly. I hate 'Jeremy Kyle people' haha. They bullied me for being a "posh prick" during school.
    Not, its not consequently.
    You don't have to have all that to be a decent human being.
    Any child can be a decent human being as long as their parents teach them morals and such. You don't need to be force fed culture, art and harry potter.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    I do understand that not everyone has the same natural capabilities, but if the parents spent more time with their children, instead of sticking them in front of a television (as some do), they would learn to read and write much quicker than they do currently.
    Sadly, a lot of people can't spend more time with their children, because they have to work very long hours to put food on the table etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oliver Cromwell - the most horrible man in english history - would you teach children about him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Although you seem like a troll, I do agree with what your saying.
    I'm not a troll.

(Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    My thinks you've been a bit too persuaded by Plato...
    Well, the guy was a bit of a legend!

ReputationRep:
    Yes as control and governing the young will always help them to promote their own opinions and ideas or 'mavericks' as you like to call them.

I reckon it would work, I mean, Hitler had a good bash at it, didnt pull it off though did he, those Gerrys cant see anything through!
    And Kim Jong-Il is having his slice of the fascist pie.

Furher Count Mancula anyone?

And how many of these people do you see in your gated community that drink white lightning and blast out music? Just because your Mother and Father jammed a truffle up your arse when you were 3 doesnt mean your better than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanky2610)
    Oliver Cromwell - the most horrible man in english history - would you teach children about him?
    Yes. He wasn't the "most horrible man in english history".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I support policies that support family values, yes. Why isn't it possible? It's not particularly expensive, any family can do it.
    I don't mean 'family values' (as if that really means anything), although if you could name a 'family values' policy you support that addresses this issue that'd be helpful. I mean policies that allow families (and this includes single parent families) to have sufficient money not to have to work extremely long hours in stressful conditions (some welfare payments, or a higher minimum wage, for example). Or policies that encourage adult literacy in lower-income families. Or incentives for lower-class children to stay in college (EMA...). Or help with affording books to read to their children (or not forcing councils in poorer areas to close their libraries). I mean policies along those lines, that actually give tangible assistance to lower income families. As for 'not very expensive', do you think most families could afford to take numerous trips to the 'countryside, stately homes, art galleries and museums'?

Out of interest, did both of your parents work while you were young?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Not, its not consequently.
    You don't have to have all that to be a decent human being.
    No but it helps.

Sadly, a lot of people can't spend more time with their children, because they have to work very long hours to put food on the table etc.
    There are weekends, they can take it in turns with their partner. I can understand them not having much time, but there is still some time with which they can teach their children these things.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the bit about camps where children could learn music etc. - it would be brilliant if every child had the same oppurtunities in order to become more cultured.

Sadly, this will never happen in an ideal world all parents would love to teach their kids this kind of historical stuff but some, not all through faults of their own, just dont have the knowledge or time to acquire this knowledge..

There would be no way to impose this idea unless we became a totalitarian state which I personally wouldnt be all too fond of :rolleyes:

Still, I do like some of your ideas but dont forget the whole 'jeremy kyle' type of person has always been around, they're just more publicised in the media what with 'broken britain' yadiyahh.

My parents did encourage me to read and write a lot but arent very well educated themselves, couldnt really afford the travel costs to visit galleries etc (the only oppurtunity I had to go to any was with a school) and they dont own ANY history books... yet I still have a passion for history and hope to study literature at university

ReputationRep:
    Might do good for people to aspire to be more like famous/great people of the past...

But History is taught in schools anyway for quite a decent period of time...Why would a bit more really make that much difference?

You neglect that most of these kids hanging out on street corners, mostly live in ****hole areas where it's the norm and 'cool' thing...and there's nothing to do.

Cant really stop kids seeing stuff nowadays anyway with the internet...you can filter stuff etc but you'll never get everything. Half of these celebs are on the news daily anyway.

Cant see history teaching changing that tbh...Maybe society teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    No but it helps.
    No it really doesn't.
    You can teach your kids morals and values without all the other stuff.
    Plus, how do you suggest poorer families afford such things (trips to stately homes etc).

I don't mean 'family values' (as if that really means anything), although if you could name a 'family values' policy you support that addresses this issue that'd be helpful. I mean policies that allow families (and this includes single parent families) to have sufficient money not to have to work extremely long hours in stressful conditions (some welfare payments, or a higher minimum wage, for example). Or policies that encourage adult literacy in lower-income families. Or incentives for lower-class children to stay in college (EMA...). Or help with affording books to read to their children (or not forcing councils in poorer areas to close their libraries). I mean policies along those lines, that actually give tangible assistance to lower income families. As for 'not very expensive', do you think most families could afford to take numerous trips to the 'countryside, stately homes, art galleries and museums'?

Totally agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athuwssr)
    Yes as control and governing the young will always help them to promote their own opinions and ideas or 'mavericks' as you like to call them.

I reckon it would work, I mean, Hitler had a good bash at it, didnt pull it off though did he, those Gerrys cant see anything through!
    And Kim Jong-Il is having his slice of the fascist pie.

Furher Count Mancula anyone?

And how many of these people do you see in your gated community that drink white lightning and blast out music? Just because your Mother and Father jammed a truffle up your arse when you were 3 doesnt mean your better than anyone else.
    Wow, you are hilarious! How can you compare my idea to that of Hitler and Kim Jong-Il? I was merely speculating with the idea – teach children and add more class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I know, and they didn't pay me back. We had to replace it from our own money.
    Well obviously. They're not just going to smash up your stuff and then pay for it afterwards.

OP, you don't need that sort of upbringing to be polite and respectful and not go out drinking cheap cider in parks at night. The kind of people that do this often have parents that don't give a hoot anyway, so the likelihood of them following your proposed method of upbringing is next to nothing.

ReputationRep:

A family values policy would be (I don't think this is implemented currently, but I could be wrong) where if one parent isn't working, they can take their allowance of untaxed wages and add it to the working parents untaxed wages. Therefore, one parent stays home to look after the children, they get more untaxed money.

The trips don't have to be expensive. I can remember going for picnics in the woods, where my parents would read to me and play frisbee with me and stuff lol. That's not costly. I appreciate that not everyone can afford to do some of the things I've done, but a lot of them don't cost much other than the time of the parent.

Yes, they did, but my mother worked part time and term time, so she was with me for 4 days per week and all the time in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    No, you seem to be missing the point. Mathematics = school. This is OUTSIDE of school in an attempt to add more class, respect and knowledge to children.
    I'll certainly be teaching my child maths outside school, along with every other subject. How can you expect a child to be intelligent and thrive when you're relying on them being taught the same unchallenging syllabus as everybody else their age at school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Yes. He wasn't the "most horrible man in english history".
    He pulled down hundreds of churches
    Abolished christmas due to it's references to catholicism
    Killed hundreds of catholics in Ireland and Scotland, so can be said to be genocidal
    Regicide
    Dissolved parliament by force with 40 musketeers

Don't know about you, but with that reputation he's pretty nasty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    I really like the bit about camps where children could learn music etc. - it would be brilliant if every child had the same oppurtunities in order to become more cultured.

Sadly, this will never happen in an ideal world all parents would love to teach their kids this kind of historical stuff but some, not all through faults of their own, just dont have the knowledge or time to acquire this knowledge..

There would be no way to impose this idea unless we became a totalitarian state which I personally wouldnt be all too fond of :rolleyes:

Still, I do like some of your ideas but dont forget the whole 'jeremy kyle' type of person has always been around, they're just more publicised in the media what with 'broken britain' yadiyahh.

My parents did encourage me to read and write a lot but arent very well educated themselves, couldnt really afford the travel costs to visit galleries etc (the only oppurtunity I had to go to any was with a school) and they dont own ANY history books... yet I still have a passion for history and hope to study literature at university
    Nice post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.