Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

lawyers launch legal challenge to kettling Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The march was planned.

It was not allowed to go parliament square.

Protesters went to parliament square

Small groups of protesters were allowed to leave. In this case Im far more inclined to believe the government and police than a few protesters, when it comes to this
    Says it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Likewise ****ting your pants ain't gonna do you any harm.
    Well it would result in public humiliation, which does you psychological harm.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    And look at the scale of the riots and ensuing violence in Greece and France compared to here.

Is it any surprise that when police use more violent and aggressive tactics, the protesters retaliate with more violence?

Your post is an argument for more liberal police measures - not against them.
    Hardly in France protesters were setting fire to cars,looting and attacking police. Then the police responded with tear gas and such
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Says it all.
    Yeah because I should believe idiots that at one pointed claimed police were stealing their wallets and tear gassing them:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Well it would result in public humiliation, which does you psychological harm.
    Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'd say protesters have a much much more vested interest why would I believe a few protesters when I have read and heard accounts from the government/police/3 different newspapers/a journalist who was there. All of which say people were allowed to leave.

I even saw protesters on TV bleeting about tear gas being used. Now why would I believe anything from idiots that cannot tell the difference between being tear gassed and a flare that was thrown by OTHER protesters.
    Of the many, here are two blatant lies:

1) Dave Cam claimed that a police officer was pulled from his horse and beaten. You can watch the footage for yourself and it is clear that the horse is not near any students and the officer falls and is trampled without being dragged off.

2) Theresa May claimed in Parliament after the 9th Dec protest that nobody was prevented from leaving the kettle. So why do so many videos show people being beaten/threatened by police when they try to leave? Why was my friend kept in for hours without a toilet and only managed to escape when her friend had a panic attack? Why was another friend detained with many more people on Westminster bridge well into the cold night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Kettling was in place from the early afternoon and many were unable to escape until 11pm, midnight or later.

I think the point is that to not eat for 9 hours would not be regarded as reasonable to most people, especially when you are in cold conditions.

It is easy to say that the conditions people were trapped in were not a big deal if you have not had to experience them yourself
    Fair enough - this wasn't mentioned in the articles I read about it for some reason.

I agree, I don't regard them as reasonable either - as I said before food, water and toilets should always be provided if they are going to kettle. They've done that before so I don't see why they can't always do it.

I haven't been in that situation, but I know it's not as bad as people are making out. Unpleasant certainly, but not some kind of life-changing experience or anything. Especially considering anyone at the protest should have been aware it might happen - they might have no intention to be violent or cause damage, but anyone can tell some of the people attracted to these things do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah because I should believe idiots that at one pointed claimed police were stealing their wallets and tear gassing them:rolleyes:
    I have never heard these two accusations until now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yet you would rather believe people like david cam?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FORnsCu4SI
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Of the many, here are two blatant lies:

1) Dave Cam claimed that a police officer was pulled from his horse and beaten. You can watch the footage for yourself and it is clear that the horse is not near any students and the officer falls and is trampled without being dragged off.

Actually when I first watched the footage it did look like someone had tried to pull off the rider. However I saw it again today and was quite shocked to see people throwing things at the horses and trying to hit them with sticks.

2) Theresa May claimed in Parliament after the 9th Dec protest that nobody was prevented from leaving the kettle. So why do so many videos show people being beaten/threatened by police when they try to leave? Why was my friend kept in for hours without a toilet and only managed to escape when her friend had a panic attack? Why was another friend detained with many more people on Westminster bridge well into the cold night?
    Because Police do not want massive groups of people wandering round Westminster and London? Because guess what happens they attack cars, I heard reports that a protester tried dragging someone out of a cab. Then you have the attack on the Royal car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Hardly in France protesters were setting fire to cars,looting and attacking police. Then the police responded with tear gas and such
    The police turn up with tear gas and cannons, looking for a fight, and thats inevitably what they get.

I could go out to a pub tonight, have a civilised drink with some friends, and head home. Or I could go out to the same pub with the same people but a different attitude, this time looking for trouble. Without necessarily initiating any violence myself, I could easily end up in a fight.

Your problem is that whilst you are quite happy to demonise certain groups of protesters as thugs, you fail to see that certain elements of the police force are exactly the same. The difference is that the police are armed and above the law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sete)
    Wow man makes mistake. The protesters still attacked police on horse back. Throwing sticks and rocks and other crap at them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    The police turn up with tear gas and cannons, looking for a fight, and thats inevitably what they get.

Actually know French youths started it by setting fire to cars and attacking shops.

I could go out to a pub tonight, have a civilised drink with some friends, and head home. Or I could go out to the same pub with the same people but a different attitude, this time looking for trouble. Without necessarily initiating any violence myself, I could easily end up in a fight.

Your problem is that whilst you are quite happy to demonise certain groups of protesters as thugs, you fail to see that certain elements of the police force are exactly the same. The difference is that the police are armed and above the law.
    No im happy to admit plenty of police act like pricks. The cop that pulled that guy out of his wheelchair for example should lose his job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Wow man makes mistake. The protesters still attacked police on horse back. Throwing sticks and rocks and other crap at them.
    So back to the point - D Cam was inaccurate in his account of what happened.

Yes, some protesters threw things at horses, AFTER the mounted police charged at people who were in the crowd, knocking and trampling people as they went. If you are not used to horses, being charged at by galloping horses is a very scary experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    It's hard to understand what you're trying to say.

I wonder how old they were? I wouldn't be suprised if they were children. It's an easy mistake to make if you're young, panicked, hungry, cold and kettled.

A wholly superficial point you're trying to make.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Exactly.

(Original post by sete)
    Suprise!

Btw, maybe you should read the whole post before "omg he negged ima gonna cry and neg him back".

(Original post by Aj12)
    Actually when I first watched the footage it did look like someone had tried to pull off the rider. However I saw it again today and was quite shocked to see people throwing things at the horses and trying to hit them with sticks.
    That's what happens when you get cavalry charged, á la Peterloo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No im happy to admit plenty of police act like pricks. The cop that pulled that guy out of his wheelchair for example should lose his job.
    This is precisely the point - behaviour like this, as well as police employing more and more agressive tactics - cannons, tear gas etc. has create a real 'us vs. them' divide between the police and the public in many countries in continental Europe.

The reason protests here do continue relatively peacefully compared to those in France/Greece are because in the UK the relationship between the public and the police is generally a positive one. On the other hand, if you go to Greece and ask people if they trust the police for example, the answer will be a resounding no.

Unfortunately police brutality here is beginning to change that - personally I have found that the few encounters I have had with police - whilst driving for example - have been relatively amiable. But seeing what I have seen on TV recently means I will undoubtedly be more wary of the police in future.

Eventually, if this 'us against them' culture gets too big, you end up with what we see in France and Greece - people going out on the streets with a primary motive to fight the police rather than to protest, and likewise police turning up to fight rather than protect the public.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to understand what you're trying to say.

I wonder how old they were? I wouldn't be suprised if they were children. It's an easy mistake to make if you're young, panicked, hungry, cold and kettled.

A wholly superficial point you're trying to make.

Actually the ones making the tear gas claim must of been around 18 and the ones saying their wallets had been stolen around 18 as well.

Exactly.
    :rolleyes:

Suprise!

Btw, maybe you should read the whole post before "omg he negged ima gonna cry and neg him back".

That's what happens when you get cavalry charged, á la Peterloo.
    No not really. Omg police horses quick throw rocks and try to hit them with sticks its hardly a reaction I would expect from anyone with a degree of intelligence
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So back to the point - D Cam was inaccurate in his account of what happened.

Yes, some protesters threw things at horses, AFTER the mounted police charged at people who were in the crowd, knocking and trampling people as they went. If you are not used to horses, being charged at by galloping horses is a very scary experience.
    They did it so they could reform a police line that protesters were trying to break through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No not really. Omg police horses quick throw rocks and try to hit them with sticks its hardly a reaction I would expect from anyone with a degree of intelligence
    18 is young.

You don't seem to understand what it feels like to be charged by horses.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    18 is young.

You don't seem to understand what it feels like to be charged by horses.
    18 is old enough to know better.

I've been around horses since I was 5 I know exactly what is like to have a horse running at you. I also know as anyone should that if you start trying to hit a horse or any animal with a stick its going to make the situation worse.

There was no need for the violent reaction from the protesters.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.