Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Square Enix new- Final Fantasy vs XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy Agito XIII Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully KH 3DS will be good. The cartridges can hold more data than the psp ones.

I personally get quite aroused by the release of any FF game, I'm not ashamed to say. I'm not even put off when I don't get on with a game so well, as I've had my faith restored twice now.

Loved 6, 7 and 8... really didn't enjoy 9... but then loved 10.

Enjoyed the gameplay and even the overall story arc of XII, but the characters were so bland that it ruined it (as why would you care about the fate of a world where you don't like any of the characters? I'd not have been particularly sad if they all died horribly, tbh...) only to have my faith restored by XIII, which is an EXCELLENT game, in terms of gameplay, storyline and characters, despite the fact that (quite clearly, though it seems squeenix will never admit it) a lot of content was cut.

I also don't really have much time for all of the "Oh the first 3/4 of XIII is just running along tunnels!!1!1" complaints... because, whilst true, it's no different to any other FF game so far, with the possible exception of 12. Yes, in earlier games you CAN go off the beaten track and "explore" elsewhere, but seriously, go back and play them again and you'll quickly realise that, though possible, it's neither necessary nor particularly desirable to leave the "storyline tube" until the final stages of the games. You travel from one place to the next, fighting battles along the way, until you get an airship in the last 1/4 and then the game opens up. FFXIII's only crime was removing the illusion. I say quit whining and enjoy the storyline .

Anyway enough rambling... getting a bit carried away. I will also say, though, that I would literally jizz my pants for an PSP FF with a proper, deep, rich storyline and characters using the Dissidia battle system. The gameplay is basically the best that the PSP has to offer... I could play it endlessly... it's just a shame that the storyline is so... err... "odd", and that all of the characters are simplistic, two-dimensional versions of themselves. I don't actually understand it, really... all of the characters seem to be aware of the events that happened in "their own games" - and yet their actual characters are as they were at the beginnings of those games, e.g. Squall being a loner, Terra being all timid and confused...

rant rant

FF vs XIII yeeeaaaahhh!! Can't wait :yy:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bhumbauze)
      I also don't really have much time for all of the "Oh the first 3/4 of XIII is just running along tunnels!!1!1" complaints... because, whilst true, it's no different to any other FF game so far, with the possible exception of 12. Yes, in earlier games you CAN go off the beaten track and "explore" elsewhere, but seriously, go back and play them again and you'll quickly realise that, though possible, it's neither necessary nor particularly desirable to leave the "storyline tube" until the final stages of the games. You travel from one place to the next, fighting battles along the way, until you get an airship in the last 1/4 and then the game opens up. FFXIII's only crime was removing the illusion. I say quit whining and enjoy the storyline .
      So true. Every game is like that, though, in reality. Some are just better at giving the illusion of an open world.

(Original post by Bhumbauze)
      Anyway enough rambling... getting a bit carried away. I will also say, though, that I would literally jizz my pants for an PSP FF with a proper, deep, rich storyline and characters using the Dissidia battle system. The gameplay is basically the best that the PSP has to offer... I could play it endlessly... it's just a shame that the storyline is so... err... "odd", and that all of the characters are simplistic, two-dimensional versions of themselves. I don't actually understand it, really... all of the characters seem to be aware of the events that happened in "their own games" - and yet their actual characters are as they were at the beginnings of those games, e.g. Squall being a loner, Terra being all timid and confused...
      Wasn't that the point of Dissidia? All the characters had their character growth taken from the games and placed inside Dissidia, so each chapter crystallised their experiences in their original games. Sort of saying, that the games were just another version of the battle they're currently fighting and that it's a never-ending cycle that gets reset when one side wins too much.

Hence the name of its sequel, Duodecim, cause the original Dissidia is actually the thirteenth battle in the cycle.

Found this on wikipedia about the gameplay:

"The biggest change is within the single-player story mode of the game, which no longer occurs on a chess-like map. Instead it is replaced by a RPG-like story mode taking place on a traditional-styled Final Fantasy world map, with players being able to experience a story while exploring a world with scenarios and events taking place as the story progresses. Players will traverse the 3D world map with 3 character parties with players being able to interact in conversations with the characters. When roaming the map, players will encounter enemies known as the Imitation, when attacked by the enemy, players will be transported to a battle map where battles will take place. Due to the story's setting where the towns in the world no longer exist, there will not be any towns on the world map instead there will be shops on the map which are specially marked. The story mode is also party based, similar to the story progression of Final Fantasy VI. In certain scenarios, parties will be predetermined, but in most cases players are free to select their own party."

Sounds like it could be really interesting.
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      Definitely looking forward to FF vs XIII - I just wish we had a release date! :sigh:
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Illusionary)
      Definitely looking forward to FF vs XIII - I just wish we had a release date! :sigh:
      I know, I really get frustrated when they keep saying its in production and never give a rough date. It has been in production and "rumoured" for about 3 years now!

Well, I think it will be worth the wait :woo:
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      I am really hoping they do not repeat this mockery of a environment as what we were given in FFXIII! I loved the gameplay (The Paradigm Shifts were exciting and revolutionary and battles got heated ) however I did not care for the linear maps and terrible straight layout. :sigh:

It reminded me of FFX which was amazing but also ruined by the suffocatingly restrictive maps

And hopefully someone as awesome as Cloud/Tidus or Yuna/Yuffie/Tifa will be brought in :love: Lightning was good in XIII however lacked that certain je na se qua that really makes you fall in love with the characters :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
      I love final fantasy, but not been a fan of the last few, they all seem to have failed to get the right feel since IX. XII had some good points but a sub-par storyline. XIII is nearly there, but lacks the freedom a RPG really needs. X was dire and I really can't understand why everyone loves it. It had no redeeming qualities!!! Even X-II was better.

And Kingdom Hearts battle system?! Oh dear... :'(
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Svenjamin)
      I love final fantasy, but not been a fan of the last few, all seems to have gone steadily downhill since 9. I still love the series, but it's a matter of how many bad games does it take before it's not worth bothering with anymore? XII had some good points, but X was absolutely dire. XIII is alright, but lacks the freedom a RPG really needs.

And Kingdom Hearts battle system?! Oh dear... :'(
      Kingdom hearts type Battle system. I doubt it will be the same, but I mean it won't be turn base I do not think :sadnod:
      But KH is great :awesome:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Facticity)
      - Will have a Kindom Hearts style Battle System, not Turn-Based.
      Thank god for that! it's one off the reasons I don't play FF, I only played one episode of the series

ReputationRep:
      Kingdom hearts type Battle system. I doubt it will be the same, but I mean it won't be turn base I do not think :sadnod:
      But KH is great :awesome:
      I find the kingdom hearts controls a bit simplistic, it's just tapping the same button over and over with the occasional jump in there. I'd love to see more of a beat-em-up style control system for more control over what you do. Any innovative control system would be cool though. If devs want to mess around with something new, then a FF off-shoot game is probably the best place for it. That game with Vincent was quite fun and a bit different.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Svenjamin)
      I find the kingdom hearts controls a bit simplistic, it's just tapping the same button over and over with the occasional jump in there. I'd love to see more of a beat-em-up style control system for more control over what you do. Any innovative control system would be cool though. If devs want to mess around with something new, then a FF off-shoot game is probably the best place for it. That game with Vincent was quite fun and a bit different.
      What did you think of FFXIII battle system? I thought it had immense potential and it did allow for some quick hectic battles with good pace and a nice difficulty curve. Overall I thought it turned out quite well for a new type.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Cornerstone)
      Thank god for that! it's one off the reasons I don't play FF, I only played one episode of the series
      Na, got to love the turn base. That is one of reasons FF excels.

ReputationRep:
      I'm looking forward to them all, really! But at the moment, as I've just finished KH: Birth by Sleep I'm dying to know about KH3!

ReputationRep:
      Na, got to love the turn base. That is one of reasons FF excels.
      Really? In my case I would love the KH battle system, with the graphics and other features of FF series on top of it, the new game looks promising.

Although IMO nothing beats the 'Tales of...' system :coma:

ReputationRep:
      Such amazing games. It's a pity they're so hard to get in Europe and America.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Really? In my case I would love the KH battle system, with the graphics and other features of FF series on top of it, the new game looks promising.

Tales system is noice :nooo: but not the best :nah: IMO
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hylean)
      Such amazing games. It's a pity they're so hard to get in Europe and America.
      Get a PS3, its region free so enjoy games from japan which take forever or never come out here.

ReputationRep:
      I know, I have no idea why Enix suddenly loves the DS, I can understand the PSP because it is a nice console handheld and they do have a long standing rep with Playstation. But the true fans and the ones that make the game famous, are waiting for it on the next-gen consoles.

I remember the first time I saw KH, the graphics were like :shock: I miss KH I can't wait for this KH3 then

PS: Is your username a reference to Fullmetal Alchemist by any chance ?
      Yeah, KH1 blew me away the first time I played it. I didn't think they'd top it, then I played KH2 hahaha.

PS: Yes, Yes it is

ReputationRep:
      Get a PS3, its region free so enjoy games from japan which take forever or never come out here.
      I have a PS3, but I play games for their story and I have no desire to learn Japanese at the moment. I'll get any Tales... game that I can, but quite a few have been on the 360 as well. Namco just don't release them outside of Japan for some reason, despite the demand for them. Doesn't help when games like Tales of Symphonia and of Vesperia don't sell that well when they do get released because of **** ad campaigns.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hylean)
      I have a PS3, but I play games for their story and I have no desire to learn Japanese at the moment. I'll get any Tales... game that I can, but quite a few have been on the 360 as well. Namco just don't release them outside of Japan for some reason, despite the demand for them. Doesn't help when games like Tales of Symphonia and of Vesperia don't sell that well when they do get released because of **** ad campaigns.
      Fair enough, I learnt japanese a long time ago, it is time consuming and quite hard. So this isn't a particular concern for me personally. But I can see what you mean. Depending on the type of game could you not still get, like naruto games . I have a few friends who have japan only naruto games but it doesn't spoil it. Would this be an option?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.