Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

@ people who think rap is spelt Crap/think hip hop is about guns and hoes etc... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    Err... you posted an example of crap rap. It's the same mindless beat, over and over. The rhyming is quite average as well.

This is it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

Although, 95% of rap/hip-hop is terrible. If Robert Christgau likes it you know it's good.
    95% of the rap YOU listen to is horrible. Mindless statistics like that just reflects your stupidity and ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    I guess we all have different opinions:dontknow: but take a time to listen before you call insult the genre
    i have listened to it - at least twice a week - on a bus - with some chavvy gansta wannabe blasting it out of his mobile phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    95% of the rap YOU listen to is horrible. Mindless statistics like that just reflects your stupidity and ignorance.
    The Robert Christgau comment made me laugh. Whitest thing ever said on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Um isn't it meant to be a song not a poem? I'd go to a poetry reading if I wanted that.

It's seriously boring. It's some guy talking.

ReputationRep:
    Putting aside the typical songs that everyone jumps on when rap is mentioned, that are about "hoez" and "weed" and whatever, and you actually bother to look a little deeper, rap songs have the rawest and most emotion than any other genre IMO. It's much more intense than the pathetic, whiny drivel you find in most songs today, which are pretty much all about love and the many nauseating ways in which it can be 'expressed.'

The narrow-minded idiots who automatically go "urgh it's all the same about drugs with an awful beat urghh" are likely to be the same ones who listen to Whip My Hair and Justin Bieber, and what's more actually praise them. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That song doesn't make any sense though.

ReputationRep:
    I just plain don't like black people.

ReputationRep:
    True that, but you probably haven't listened to the golden era of hip hop. Plus many genres have songs along those lines, but then again you probably only listen to mainstream pop.
    How can you assume that I 'only listen to mainstream pop'? Based on what? Just because I'm not a fan of rap I MUST be a boring teenybopper with no real music taste?

ReputationRep:
    Sure, it's a poem.
    Just not my sort of poem. And Wilfred Owen's work isn't particularly my style either.
    But then, I'm not one of those people who writes off a genre thinking it's all about "guns" or "hoes".
    I generally just don't like the way rappers express their poetry. I like guitars and Pink Floyd.
    But I'm not hatin' on any genre.
    I agree with you OP.

ReputationRep:
    This is better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSh_Oc78A4o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    How can you assume that I 'only listen to mainstream pop'? Based on what? Just because I'm not a fan of rap I MUST be a boring teenybopper with no real music taste?
    I wrote "probably". Read. Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miasma Envoy)
    I just plain don't like black people.
    ...because you're a cowardly, ignorant, butt hurt racist?? Just felt like I should finish the sentence off for you.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be arsed reading that. I like hip hop anyways

ReputationRep:
    i dont listen to music about guns, hoes, money and so on, but nowadays most music is pretty poor, mainly auto tuned, with 1 or 2 catchy lines in the whole song.

Good music is hard to find nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I would say rap lyrics are characterised by oblique sequences of words, a couplet rhyme scheme, a very regular metre, and certain metaphorical tropes (even this guy is talking about his "rawness". I'd also go on to mention that they tend to break the fourth wall by bigging up or dissing certain people, as a result of the form's origin in oral rap battles.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote "probably". Read. Please.
    Please prove how that statement is probable. I'd like to know on what basis you can determine it is probable that I only listen to pop music.

ReputationRep:

A few reasons why it's so good. Could of posted wayyyy more lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Please prove how that statement is probable. I'd like to know on what basis you can determine it is probable that I only listen to pop music.
    Mainstream pop by definition is listened to a large proportion of total music listeners. Therefore, there is a certain sizeable probablity that you listen to mainstream pop music, if you were selected randomly. Common sense really. Although I did get 98/100 UMS in my statistics and probability module.

ReputationRep:
    Mainstream pop by definition is listened to a large proportion of total music listeners. Therefore, there is a certain sizeable probablity that you listen to mainstream pop music, if you were selected randomly. Common sense really. Although I did get 98/100 UMS in my statistics and probability module.
    So I could also say that its probable you listen to crap pop music then. Yay. Generalisations all round.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.