Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level students - are you mega-stressed at the moment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh398)
    I have C1, C2, C3 and D1. And a physics exam.
    Maths is easy to revise for because there are tonnes to past papers to practise on! Its physics and chemistry which are hard because the specifications seem to get changed every 2 years and all the old past papers aren't relevant to new specs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Cullen)
    I'm stressed (mainly because I've got three essays to write, AS resit exams next month and revision to do for them, reading for my A2 modules and research + writing for A2 coursework - huge workload!) but despite the stress, I'm getting on well with my work because I'm concentrating on pushing myself really hard.

I do take breaks but I'm working extra-hard at the moment but my family doesn't seem to understand that I need to do so much work in order to achieve the grades I want/need.

My family - in particular one of my older siblings (who, incidentally, hasn't actually done A Levels) - don't seem to understand that top grades won't just materialise out of thin air....when they say to me "Other A Level students aren't as stressed" and things like that it makes me irritated, because the members of my family who say this to me don't actually know any other A Level students first-hand. :rolleyes: Sure, if I were planning on obtaining mediocre grades, I could take more time off, but my grades need to be high and so I'm just getting on with doing what I need to do to (hopefully) achieve that standard.

I'm not visibly stressed and I've actually been in a really good mood over the past few days because my work is going well and I'm feeling positive about it.

But when my family say I'm crazy for planning to read my revision notes during the holidays or do work nearly every day until the January exams, I feel like I want to yell at them for not understanding that studying A Levels is actually pretty tough sometimes...

Am I crazy or are you lot stressed too?
    how do you know hard work is the key? I have seen many dumb hard working people who get the work done, and then when it comes to testing they get E grades.

You need to have some intuition. When you get into the exam hall you'll come across some questions you cannot do despite having revised and memorised the whole textbook. Do you know why? because you must have the intuition i.e. think for yourself/ look at it in a new way etc.

I agree that c/w is plain hard work and no brains are required so that's fine, that is probably why so many dumb people in my secondary school are like "Blad clart, BTEC route to university init!" etc.

as a side note: error analysis is also very important, it's to make you more efficient so you attain full marks on every question that you do know i.e. no silly mistake/ putting an incorrect minus sign/ differentiated the wrong equation etc etc etc

No joke bro

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit worried that i'm not stressed - A levels don't seem to be as hard as they were made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    You're not crazy. I'm mega stressed out as well, I just don't like to show it! It's a lot better now but at one point I was about a month behind on Philosophy work, and I had so much stuff to sort out that I just kind of gave up for a while. So you're doing a lot better than me

ReputationRep:
    I am bricking it. I have 3 exams in January. My first AS exams, and I hit the floor running in september, and have been working the skin of my bones since day 1, (and have given up pretty much all leisurely activity; gaming!), and my dream is set on getting good results and into university where I wish to be. Though, I am extremely stressed and fustrated because in all of the physics and chemistry practical exams (20% of a level), I have done poorly. Seeing billy and joe sit on their ass all day and hit higher marks than me gives a real hit to my confidence and pushes me into thinking all my hard work is wasted.

So, like someone else said. I am stressed is an understatement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mega-stressed! So many subjects to cover and I'm only concentrating on Maths.
    Luckily I have only 3 exams but then on June i'd have 5, thats when i'll suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    how do you know hard work is the key? I have seen many dumb hard working people who get the work done, and then when it comes to testing they get E grades.

You need to have some intuition. When you get into the exam hall you'll come across some questions you cannot do despite having revised and memorised the whole textbook. Do you know why? because you must have the intuition i.e. think for yourself/ look at it in a new way etc.

I agree that c/w is plain hard work and no brains are required so that's fine, that is probably why so many dumb people in my secondary school are like "Blad clart, BTEC route to university init!" etc.

as a side note: error analysis is also very important, it's to make you more efficient so you attain full marks on every question that you do know i.e. no silly mistake/ putting an incorrect minus sign/ differentiated the wrong equation etc etc etc

No joke bro
    You are completely right.
    This is what differentiates the 'smart really hard working students' from the 'intelligent' students. Natural selection at its best?
    Unfortunately, this is probably the reason why I am doing so **** in my science practical exams; even though I am working my ass off. I can have all the knowledge about science and understand how to calculate pressure and density, but when it comes to intuition, this is where logic and common sense kicks me up the ass and I begin to fall in these exams, (and also because I cannot read).

ReputationRep:
    ARGHHH no jokes I've been stressed since the first month we got back to school for the A2 year...

I've got 2 eng lit coursework essays, my eng lang investigation & history coursework as well as my sociology exam in june

I think teachers find it easy to forget that as well as the coursework in your subjects, you have to continualy learn/revise the exam side for the big ones in june. The subjects I'm doing are obviously entirely essay-based and I feel constantly drained by homework and tests.

I HATE COURSEWORK.

But it's all in the name of top grades!!

I cant wait to get absolutly smashed at the end of term

ReputationRep:
    I dont have exams for my A levels. They're all in march and june

ReputationRep:
    I am very very stressed and today I was wondering if I was the only one - apparently not!
    I have mocks this week and I find myself under soo much pressure from teachers and parents that sometimes I just don't know if it's worth it!
    Well, I have to go back to revisee...

ReputationRep:
    I feel extremely stressed, I've just had my AS retake exam for german, I've got 4 more retakes and my Core 3 exam for maths christmas is turning into a nightmare, especially with uni decisions not going in my favour :/
    Trying to not let it get on top of me but ya know, everyone has their down days. You've just gotta concentrate on the light at the end of the tunnel which i know is incredibly difficult.

ReputationRep:
    yes im so stressed out at the moment...i do the typical biology, chemistry and maths combination and its just too much =/

i have mocks every month as i go to a private college, and i would think my grades should be getting better but they aren't...they're getting worse =/

i have 7 exams in january, 3 of which are unit 2's from AS...i havent even revised for them! i dont have time as all of my time goes towards revising for my unit 4 exams! arghhh too much stress lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm stressed because i haven't done anything, but continue to not do anything.

ReputationRep:
    No really, I'm halfway through my A2 coursework, and my final draft will be ready for when I get back.
    I only have one January exam, so I'll proaly just go over the stuff I learnt this term in between relaxing and eating.

ReputationRep:
    I'm telling myelf I'm fine...

ReputationRep:
    The only subject that is actually stressing me out is AQA BIOLOGY A2 UNIT 4. I did the mock exam ( specimen paper) i got a fat U. Its the way AQA ask the exam questions its completely different to the old exam papers. Any1 got any tips? x

ReputationRep:
    I'm denying the fact that i'm stressed. But the real fact is that i'm stressed lmao! Since I applied to all AAA unis if I don't get the grades then i'm screwed!! Hahaha

....You can probably tell i'll go insane soon. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm stressed (mainly because I've got three essays to write, AS resit exams next month and revision to do for them, reading for my A2 modules and research + writing for A2 coursework - huge workload!) but despite the stress, I'm getting on well with my work because I'm concentrating on pushing myself really hard.

I do take breaks but I'm working extra-hard at the moment but my family doesn't seem to understand that I need to do so much work in order to achieve the grades I want/need.

My family - in particular one of my older siblings (who, incidentally, hasn't actually done A Levels) - don't seem to understand that top grades won't just materialise out of thin air....when they say to me "Other A Level students aren't as stressed" and things like that it makes me irritated, because the members of my family who say this to me don't actually know any other A Level students first-hand. :rolleyes: Sure, if I were planning on obtaining mediocre grades, I could take more time off, but my grades need to be high and so I'm just getting on with doing what I need to do to (hopefully) achieve that standard.

I'm not visibly stressed and I've actually been in a really good mood over the past few days because my work is going well and I'm feeling positive about it.

But when my family say I'm crazy for planning to read my revision notes during the holidays or do work nearly every day until the January exams, I feel like I want to yell at them for not understanding that studying A Levels is actually pretty tough sometimes...

I agree with you so much. OVERLY STRESSED at the moment, and the procrastinating doesn't really help. Just about staying on track though. And it really pisses me off when family get involved. I don't think that they appreciate the amount of work we really need to put in, and are just too gullible to what other parents say about their kids! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I love but hate procrastinating, that great feeling when you forget about the work but then the sinking feeling when you remember the deadline. Yeah I'm really stressed right now, all my friends are. I doubt I will have any time to celebrate Christmas properly or even my 18th Times like this I wish I was born no-where near exam time, but 6th form is only 2 years long.

ReputationRep:
    try 3 maths (D1,C2,C3) ,2 chem (unit 2,4) and physcis (2,4)
    **** this ****t!
    I need to revise , i will start tomorrow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.