Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSE is a doddle compared to A levels (and a degree I presume) but even from GCSE you should know that languages are difficult.
    A lot of universities ask for at least a GCSE in a foreign language, which says it all.
    Language learners obtain valuable skills, never let anyone tell you they are useless! It's not just the language you're learning, the skills you learn are just as important and respected.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any reason why it should be less respected than any other language!
    More countries seem to speak it than French or German too, so you might find it more useful.

I battled with Spanish for 4 years and eventually came out with an A*, however more people in my year got A-A* in French than Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad some people think it's a doss subject, they bring the grade boundaries down. They quickly realise it isn't.xx

ReputationRep:
    I think it's easy at A Level. When I honestly think of the work I do in A level French and Irish and compare them to my other a levels in reality they're much easier.

However, becoming fluent in a language is difficult and is not the same as doing an a level. Also, the utility of languages is much greater than some other so-called "doss" subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I study Spanish at school, albeit not for A-levels. I wouldn't say it's a doss subject, it requires certain work, but it's actually up to a particular school or examination board. We, as I personally think, don't have the best teaching, so we are trapped in the basics mostly and therefore there is not too much new we learn (apart from cultural studies which may be interesting, but I would love my teacher to do some grammar stuff as my exam will comprise it too!).

ReputationRep:
    GCSE - Easy to pass and to do well
    AS - A tad harder, but draws on GCSE knowledge
    A2 - A massive step up, with too much expected for even pass marks. This is where the board decides to bring in literary studies into both speaking & writing exams, with the joy of an exposé for us to "get stuck into"

If you think it's a doss subject, then for you it probably is. Unless you have the motivation to learn, and are at a substantial level of skill, you will find it a doss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    But on the other hand there are plenty of English non-native speakers who speak English as well as other languages fluently.
    The U.N are desperate for linguists *who are native English speakers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    I've never been able to understand this. The other day I went to Oxford for interview, spoke to a few of the Spanish applicants and to be honest their level of Spanish was appalling. I wonder what the level is at ex-polys.

I go to an international school in continental Europe and languages are seen by everyone as 'doss' subjects. All the dimwits at my school (and by dimwits I mean going to a private school and getting 3 or 4 GCSEs at grade C) do English Language, English Literature and Spanish and get Cs with as little as 3 hours of work per day in total.
    Well GCSEs is only the basics. I can speak better French after 2 and a half months of learning it at uni (from beginners) that what my sister has learnt of 2 years of "school French".

And like someone said, someone might find the language easy whereas some might find it difficult. After studying French, Spanish and German at school, I would say my German is good and I do find it really easy, whereas Spanish I just cannot pick up - it's so, so difficult.

Hence why, languages are not classed as a doss subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanishdream)
    The U.N are desperate for linguists *who are native English speakers*
    Believe it or not, there are plenty of non-native speakers proficient in English.

ReputationRep:
    Not a doss subject, easier than other languages that you could take but definitely not a doss.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! Languages are really difficult A levels (I take french and spanish)....They are highly respected by universities and employers

ReputationRep:
    "Doss" sums up Spain & Spanish quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    Believe it or not, there are plenty of non-native speakers proficient in English.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landoner)
    Exacto. Trolls negativos, os daría mi leche que os hará ver todo blanco. Como el cielo. Pero la tengo reservada para otras peuteas. Sorry.
    el cielo es blanco?
    desde cuando?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Bear)
    :facepalm:
    Either you elaborate a little or it's you who deserves a facepalm.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say any language is a doss subject, Spanish is a great language to learn.

ReputationRep:
    i think its unbelievable that students from english speaking countries sometimes dont even speak ONE foreign language...
    :doh:

ReputationRep:
    No and I have never heard anyone say such things about any language. I am personally doing A2 Spanish at the moment and it isn't easy. If you can do it, do it! It is well respected and highly valued in our multicultural society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    "Doss" sums up Spain & Spanish quite well.
    By any chance, do you mean the most famous Spanish sentences "!Qué va!" and "Manana"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.