Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skiing/Snowboarding - Do you wear a helmet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    After my mum broke her back skiing she always wears a helmet and makes my sister wear one too. My father and I are less inclined to skiing so we don't go but if I did go I would wear one. I wouldn't even say something like 'oh, you don't need them til you've been doing red runs' or something because mum had her accident on a green run. She hit a bit of ice as she was going to a lift and fell awkwardly and then there's 6 months of rehabilitation for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joker370)
    I know it is a hell of a lot more unsafe, but I don't wear one - wearing a helmet makes you look like a prick no matter what, and you cant steal a last pint from the top of the mountain and drink it on the way down if you're wearing one.

I mean if you're going to crash just throw yourself sideways, landing in snow really isn't that painful.
    Then you're clearly not trying hard enough. A fitted helmet doesn't hinder any movement.

What about the crashes on the middle of the piste? What about the impacts with other skiers/trees? Being blasé and saying "oh, just aim for the powder and don't be a wuss" is incredibly dense.

Also, if you reckon just a plain fall onto snow isn't very painful then you clearly don't ski very hard.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Then you're clearly not trying hard enough. A fitted helmet doesn't hinder any movement.

What about the crashes on the middle of the piste? What about the impacts with other skiers/trees? Being blasé and saying "oh, just aim for the powder and don't be a wuss" is incredibly dense.

Also, if you reckon just a plain fall onto snow isn't very painful then you clearly don't ski very hard.
    Also to add to your point, with a helmet on they can catch less of your face on CCTV therefore fail to prosecute you while you steal that pint!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Also to add to your point, with a helmet on they can catch less of your face on CCTV therefore fail to prosecute you while you steal that pint!
    But you've got a better mounting point for that helmet-mounted cam to catch the breakneck journey back down the piste... Swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    I did when I went, but that was because I went with school and they made me.
    My teachers didn't, none of the ski instructors did either.

If I was to go again i'd consider not wearing one. You're most likely going to ski slopes that're all nicely laid out, not going weaving between big rocks and doing jumps down a vertical glacier, ha. Ski runs for the casual skier aren't usually on an open drop cliffside, haha.

There's always the risk you could do damage, but I wouldn't say its much different to the risk when you're riding a bike. Its also pretty hard to fall so awfully that you land head first, as most falls will just be where you lose balance and fall over with your skis still on the ground.

I'm not saying don't wear one, it'd obviously be better. But i'd say older people that aren't forced to wear one usually leave it if they're just casually skiing.
    If you're planning on popping a few tricks or flips, or weave between trees and rocks down a black run deadly glacier, then 100% definatley wear one!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised by the number of people who say they wear helmets! I've been skiing since I was small and have never worn one - even when I first started at about 6/7, I can't remember anyone wearing them then (and I'm only 18 now). You do see a few people wearing helmets on the slopes but they are a fairly small minority, at least at the resorts I've skiied at. It's mostly the children (pretty much all of them) and beginners, and more boarders than skiiers. My brother's ten and he always wears a helmet, but no one else in my family does and neither do most of the people I know and have skiied with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

I ski fairly hard, but I won't go on about it cos I can't prove it without inviting you on a ski trip and I don't really have the money or the inclination to do so. Basically you have the pros - it's safer, and the cons - its hot, itchy, makes you look like a retard, and takes the thrill out, which is what skiing is all about!

Falls into snow are fine, specially if you're wearing a jacket and trousers. Have sliced my leg open with my ski before though lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I like this though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear a helmet, but I don't do anything dangerous - the chances of me banging my head on anything are extremely low. Mostly because there's nothing around to hit my head on.

ReputationRep:
    I snowboard and I don't. I prefer my daft hat and I avoid resorts where it's illegal to go on the slopes without helmets. I don't like them, though I see the sense in them; I've landed on the joint between my neck and skull enough times. I ride fast and I ride hard, trying tricks and whatnot on the slopes. I've bounced along flats on my head and back after catching an edge. It happens. A helmet will mean my brain is less ****ed up, but at the moment I'm willing to take the risk.

When I finally get to the stage of trying dangerous tricks, I'll wear a helmet til I've got them down, then I'll stop again.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I love the people who assume that just avoiding rocks and trees and hard things to fall on plus the fact that you don't land on your head means you wont get any impact on your head!

If you fall over then it is possible for someone to ski into your head and cause some serious damage!

Unfortunately you aren't (often) the only one on the piste...

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't but then I do cross-country skiing not alpine so I only go down fairly small slopes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.